DPF cleaning fluid

aga man

Can anyone advise on the above products? Although it is not causing any problems [yet!] the dpf on my octavia scout is a causing a right stink.

I think this is mostly down to the car doing short round town journey's with the wife.

Does any one here use the pour in tank cleaners and do they make a difference? also any mechanics here can you tell me if these products do any harm?

Or for what they cost do i just give it a whirl?

I would much rather have the DPF removed but realise that can't be done because of MOT.

Any advice appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried giving it a good blurt on the Motorway ? My Honda does a lot of short hops, but at least once per week I give it a good blurt down the motorway for around 8 miles, then return at the same speed. A friend's Wife was recently told by the main agents to drive her Ford on the M/way in 3rd gear, for a 'few' miles, to clear a similar problem.

Have you tried giving it a good blurt on the Motorway ? My Honda does a lot of short hops, but at least once per week I give it a good blurt down the motorway for around 8 miles, then return at the same speed. A friend's Wife was recently told by the main agents to drive her Ford on the M/way in 3rd gear, for a 'few' miles, to clear a similar problem.

Thanks, yes i have done this occasionally as it is mentioned in the manual to drive at high revs for 20 mins to re-generate the DPF. perhaps i should do it more often.

dpf collects soot which a diesel engine generates in its combustion cycle regardless of driving conditions in town driving and short town drives the dpf collects the soot as it was designed to do but can only collect to a prescribed amount which increases pressure in the exhaust manifold.sensors monitoring this will activate the dpf regeneration procedure if the temperature and driving conditions and no engine management fault codes stored, the engine ecu then can increase the regen process by extended driving at open road speeds for a period of time or injection of dpf tank additive or euro 6 adblue the process depending on contamination should be clear within 10 to 15 mins at uninterupted driving on open road at a constant speed

Tried all the different additives in my shogun and wasted a fortune, the only one that worked was "wurth dpf cleaner", aerosol can you put directly into the dpf. Best way is a regular 20min jaunt up an a road or motorway keeping the engine over 2000rpm, the dpf needs to get hot to burn the soot. Some cars add extra fuel when the dpf light comes on to aid the regeneration process which can remain unburnt and slip into the engine oil if you ignore the light and continue to Potter around down causing an expensive engine failure (shotguns do it)

Make going for a drive part of your routine, got cruise??? Put it on while one gear down from top and go a couple of junctions, oil temp guage? get it right up 107/110. Or, buy a petrol.

I'd go with the latter ! I wouldn't have a modern day diesel given to me, petrol is the way forward.

Wurth dpf cleaner is the only one that works though so get a can off eBay, spray it in top pressure sensor then a cruise down the motorway

I have the Vauxhall antara .all I do when it needs a reg is take it on a run keep revs just above 2000 revs for about 15mile .you don't need to thrash it .it just needs to get the dpf hot enough to burn of the c---- .i don't put any additives in .does the Octavia have a light to tell you it needs a reg .dont mix addblue with diesel it has a separate tank .iit is only for Euro 6 engines .

I'd go with the latter ! I wouldn't have a modern day diesel given to me, petrol is the way forward.

Wurth dpf cleaner is the only one that works though so get a can off eBay, spray it in top pressure sensor then a cruise down the motorway

Diesel since 1990, cars and vans. Its a great solution for those who can work the engine. I have had to force a regen once in probably 1.5 million miles, working less than a mile from home my van put the light on. Set cruise at 70 and held 6th gear(7sp) for a couple of junctions and it was gone. Too many folk buy or are sold the wrong engine.

We have Forte DPF put through our short hop cars at service intervals, we do have one that always comes up needing a DPF regen, sometimes just driving it down the A road to the motorway is enough to extinguish the light, other times i can take ages - my record is 2 junctions.

Adblue seems to be more common, we have a Ford Minibus that takes 21L and that is good (depending on where and how its driven) for 4-6K (if i recall Ford said on M Way only it could be up to 10k). Yesterday we had delivery of a new Peugeot car (i dont know what one as i dont really get involved in the smaller local hopping cars but it is but its about the size of the old 206) and that has adblue.

I have used Brick cleaner before. The was recommended as a good choice. Never had any problems using it in a Peugeot HDI .

Edit. Just been reading the question again. This is with the DPF removed, don't put this in your tank. :no:

Edited by bear-uk

Can this Adblue be used in any diesel car?

In what mixture?

What does it do?

I have just noticed my local petrol station selling it

:shaun:

on no account use adblue to your car unless it is euro 6 compliant or has a dedicated adblue tank fitted as standard to the vehicle it will destroy your engine it is designed to be injected into the dpf on the exhaust stoke to increase the dpf burn off temperature

on no account use adblue to your car unless it is euro 6 compliant or has a dedicated adblue tank fitted as standard to the vehicle it will destroy your engine it is designed to be injected into the dpf on the exhaust stoke to increase the dpf burn off temperature

Thanks for that,

Will give it a swerve

:shaun:

Diesel since 1990, cars and vans. Its a great solution for those who can work the engine. I have had to force a regen once in probably 1.5 million miles, working less than a mile from home my van put the light on. Set cruise at 70 and held 6th gear(7sp) for a couple of junctions and it was gone. Too many folk buy or are sold the wrong engine.

I agree but the majority of modern day diesel owners look at you like you have 2 heads when you mention a re gen to them, hence why your better with a petrol

Some interesting posts, thanks.

So it seems the car just needs to driven at higher revs in lower gears more often and the re-gen procedure maybe once a weak instead of waiting for the dash light to luminate.

Seems pointless having a 6 speed gearbox then.

For the record the car is great, has plenty of torque and pulls a 22ft caravan with ease. Very capapable off road with winter tyres on and good fuel consumption.

To get something petrol with similar qualities and boot space would probably have to to a subaru forester or similar which would use twice as much fuel.

The local ambulance paramedics use the octavia scout so can't be that bad.

The only downside i can see is the damn DPF another great thing to come from eu regulations!

My old Laguna (to cut a long story short) had an issue with its dpf, causing it to go into limp mode, if it didnt get a regular long run.

However Forte dpf cleaner in the tank ,plus a long (60 miles plus) run ,would keep it out of limp mode in all conditions for around 6 months !

S, i would recommend Forte, for a good dpf service/clean.

Some interesting posts, thanks.

So it seems the car just needs to driven at higher revs in lower gears more often and the re-gen procedure maybe once a weak instead of waiting for the dash light to luminate.

Not quite correct, car need at achieve higher exhaust temps thru sustained running at higher revs than round town and short journeys can produce, lower gear and high reves will produce this but is a shortcut.

Seems pointless having a 6 speed gearbox then.

No the six speed is for reducing fuel consumption,emissions and engine wear during use

For the record the car is great, has plenty of torque and pulls a 22ft caravan with ease. Very capapable off road with winter tyres on and good fuel consumption.

To get something petrol with similar qualities and boot space would probably have to to a subaru forester or similar which would use twice as much fuel.

The fuel consumption is a result of your choices

The local ambulance paramedics use the octavia scout so can't be that bad.

They have selected a vehicle fit for purpose

The only downside i can see is the damn DPF another great thing to come from eu regulations!

The DPF is to reduce harmful emmisions, protect the environment

You have not selected the correct fuel for your overall use hence the dpf issues, just go for a drive, 10/20 miles once a week at a steady 70 on the motorway will sort it. This will make the DPF function within design parameters, get it to correct operating temp for a extended period.

Or wait for the light to come on, force a regen, cruise,hold one gear down etc

Or use a product to force a regen

Both these methods are not in your long term interests in that forcing the issue cannot be good for the dpf, is a cure after the event.

You have not selected the correct fuel for your overall use hence the dpf issues, just go for a drive, 10/20 miles once a week at a steady 70 on the motorway will sort it. This will make the DPF function within design parameters, get it to correct operating temp for a extended period.

Or wait for the light to come on, force a regen, cruise,hold one gear down etc

Or use a product to force a regen

Both these methods are not in your long term interests in that forcing the issue cannot be good for the dpf, is a cure after the event.

Thanks for putting me straight Rupert you seem to be Knowledgeable in these matters.

Not having any issues with my DPF though, just wondered if any off the shelf cleaners would help prevent future problems and reduce the stink from the rear of the car.

All taken on board though, thanks :good:

Thanks for putting me straight Rupert you seem to be Knowledgeable in these matters.

Not having any issues with my DPF though, just wondered if any off the shelf cleaners would help prevent future problems and reduce the stink from the rear of the car.

All taken on board though, thanks :good:

Ooops sorry, ill come down off my soapbox now.The cleaners may prevent the problem but i dont believe they will do it any good in the long run.I do appear a bit Keen.Apologies.

Ooops sorry, ill come down off my soapbox now.The cleaners may prevent the problem but i dont believe they will do it any good in the long run.I do appear a bit Keen.Apologies.

Not at all fella, i apreciciate the input. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

When you say "stink" from the rear of the car, do you mean it smells sooty or something else?

The DPF brick can literally crack and allow the soot through and you get a black tailpipe.

Darren.

When you say "stink" from the rear of the car, do you mean it smells sooty or something else?

The DPF brick can literally crack and allow the soot through and you get a black tailpipe.

Darren.

Yes i suppose it is a sooty smell, more noticable when the car has done a short journey. Thanks for the advice i will keep an eye on it.