Wild Boar in Coventry

I always thought Wild Boar were only confined to the south of England but I was driving along the Coventry bypass on route to the M69 yesterday when I saw a large Mammal dead on the central reservation. The traffic was very slow moving and as I went passed I looked at what I initially thought was a Badger but when I passed to discover it wasn't a Badger but a wild Boar. Looked like a juvenile but couldn't tell the sex.

Is this normal? Have Wild Boar moved that far North?

They are taking over the world :good: Natural England think animals are being cage trapped and transported around the country as everyone wants to shoot em, but you really wouldn't want them in your garden, or street for that matter.

Apparently they are also present in the Chilterns, a shooting buddy of mine reckons he sees them quite often on his permission. I did ask him if he's been foraging for wild mushrooms again but he reckons he is definitely sure they're boar.

Edited by Wingman

that photo is extraordinary what town is that?

You could pick one of twenty small towns in the forest of Dean were boar roam the streets, its safer than the forestry commission blunders in the actual forest. They are in the bins, turfing up lawns, cricket pitches,even the odd graveyard. Often see a sow and piglets walking a long the verges during peak traffic times, in matter of fact you will find them anywhere were its impossible to shoot, clever beasts they are. :yes:

You could pick one of twenty small towns in the forest of Dean were boar roam the streets, its safer than the forestry commission blunders in the actual forest. They are in the bins, turfing up lawns, cricket pitches,even the odd graveyard. Often see a sow and piglets walking a long the verges during peak traffic times, in matter of fact you will find them anywhere were its impossible to shoot, clever beasts they are. :yes:

Yep bang on :)

Don't know of any down this way yet (Cornwall) but I guess in time.

Where there seem to be big numbers do they have a impact on driven shoots? and do beaters come across them on driven days?

A local shoot to me gets a lot of problems with boar, the woodland is only separated from the main Forest of Dean by a few meadows and as soon as high protein crumb is put down then in come the piggies, they must be able to smell it miles off. It started with the odd male a few years back, these were shot but slowly sows have made it into the 200 acres of woodland and apparently it has its own population. Must be quite a surprise to have a boar rushing at you on a drive. You would think there would be loads of boar hunting on the cards round here but its a different story on the ground. The Forestry commission continue blundering on trying to bring the ever expanding numbers down and will not except any outside help, and there are plenty of offers of course. The local farmers surrounding the forest have latched on to the money and who can blame them, I've heard prices of £450 a night to shoot them, I have a few permissions in the area, you can spend a nights In the highseat and not see a thing, then you have a parents evening or other family can't get out of and the very next day the whole field around the highseat has been rolled up.

Wait 'til they get on a golf course!

The RAF Germany course was getting clobbered - the greens were in an awful state. Different rules out there, so they called in the forest master. A driven shoot was organised and was going to be a bit of a do with some of the top forest nebbies travelling up from South Germany. The golfers were all made aware that the complex was closed for the day. Off we go and you could hear them moving in numbers through the surrounding woods. The drive stopped short and flanking guns then moved around towards the end of the wood ready for the final push on to what was the practice driving range. What did we find? Yep, golfers. I have never seen a man so angry - incidentally, his grand father had been head keeper to the Tzar of Russia - such that from then on the golfers were on their own and the damage continued.

Don't know of any down this way yet (Cornwall) but I guess in time.

Where there seem to be big numbers do they have a impact on driven shoots? and do beaters come across them on driven days?

Rumour has it they are, and not from a shooting lady!!!