Eley .410 Subsonics - Any good?

I have been reading every scrap of info on a Hushpower Mossberg .410 and decided to get one. However phoning around this morning, the only subsonics available locally are the Eley ones. Reading the posts on here, they seem disappointing on the noise level and produce the same crack as a standard 3inch. Can anyone suggest a better shell? I think the Express Magnasonic are rated better but no one seems to have any

I have used the 18 gram Eley extra long magnum subsonic. their ordinary magnum and the 24 gram Cheddite silenziata through my gun, moderated but not hushpower, to me there is no difference between them, all sound the same to me, but there may be a difference to someone stood some yards away as it seemed quiet when someone else had a few shots

I find little difference between the standard and subsonic, best thing to do is to walk 100 yards away and have someone else shoot both so you can compare.

I do find however that the standard load in 7's gives me more reliable kills as the No6 pattern is a bit patchy.

I've a farm supply's place near me that only deal in lyvale carts I've asked them to get me a slab of magnasonic when they make there next order been wanting to try them for ages atb H

They aren't nearly a quiet as the cheddite silenzia 24gram. The magnasonics have a crack to them that's absent in the cheddites, shooting them both side by side through a modded .410 you can tell the difference straight away.

I don't have any moderated shotguns, in .410 the quietest round I've found would be Lyalvale Super Game 2.5" 1/4 oz load. They whiz along at 1250fps and in #7 they pattern well, even out of a 3" chamber. Fibre too so Hushy compatible and I'd imagine even quieter, through the same, than I'm hearing out of my unmoderated .410s'.

Thats what I use if I need to be quiet. The Fourlong goes off like a cannon by comparison.

I think most 410 shells are pretty much subsonic anyway. I bought some Eley subs when I had my single 410 husher and they weren't any quieter than the standard shells.

They will sound the same in a single barrel as the moderator is a lot longer than a pump, so will bleed the gas off of the cartridge more, so by the time it exits it's in subsonic territory.

I use 3" magnum number 6s in my 410 mossberg hush power. There is a five yard advantage over the subs and not much noise difrance.also quite a clean firing cartridge compared to some others

Four longs are the quite st but even the magnums do not disturb horses sheep. And cows at 10 yards and no ear defenders required

I take my silencer off after every outing and bang the loose carbon out other wise it welds it's self to the barral

DO NOT use eley magnum 3" in size 7 through a mossberg pump...if you do after 3 shots or Warlingham they will bond to your barral due to heat and it's a pain to remove..the cartridge melts in the barral and glues it's self in .stick with 6s in eley and you can't go wrong

I don't have a moderated 12.

Hmm. I ain't got one either. But I don't have to be concerned about noise on my land but I would revert to a 22 RF or just use sub cartridges without the silencer. If it was imperative to have/ use a. Silencer then I'd soon make one. When I was a teenager ​I had a W&S bolt action 410 and I bought a silencer which just plugged onto the barrel. Subs didn't exist then. Only Eley fourten and it was ok up in the air but was nearly the same along the ground. If you own the land or have permission I would never bother about noise. But needs must when the devil drives.

Edited by fortune

These are probably the best subsonic .410's I've used.

Never seen them locally, but would love to know what is in them. They look like they would have less than 10gr powder as none showing over the brass and simply an Over Powder Card, no wad at all.