What should I see when looking down barrel?

grrclark, I'm not disputing the American guys shooting abilities but don't you have to shoulder the gun when shooting fitasc after the clay can be seen?

He did shoot gun down and brought the gun up to his chin.

Never considered if fitasc rules wouldn't allow that Will. It looked terribly unnatural to me, but the fella could certainly shoot.

Edit: just had a quick search for him, Braxton Oliver is his name.

My last post was misleading (unintentionally), the gun isn't quite in the centre of his chest and not quite middle of his chin, it is off to one side, but his whole face is above the comb.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=braxton+oliver+sporting+clays&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB590GB591&hl=en-GB&prmd=vnsi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih3ovx9-TTAhXqLsAKHYb-B3UQ_AUIDCgE&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=mFqyXEKdHWp08M:&spf=156

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=braxton+oliver+sporting+clays&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB590GB591&hl=en-GB&prmd=vnsi&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih3ovx9-TTAhXqLsAKHYb-B3UQ_AUIDCgE&biw=375&bih=591#imgrc=-qHeGNKnvppJhM:&spf=178

Edited by grrclark

He mounts like that due to central vision

I was given dodgy info by the US shooter in my squad if that is the reason, however regardless of that the lad can shoot very well indeed.

Proves that there is no single right or wrong, albeit I suspect you wouldn't choose to teach Braxton's particular style.

Ahhh, that figure of eight!

My shooting has been a bit all over the place lately -- I've peaked at sometime doing 25/25 a compak a couple of months back, and it went downhill from there and a couple of weeks ago, I did a 16/25 on the same stand... Some days I was doing a bit better, but nowhere /as/ good...

Confusion, despair, annoyance, frustration, and stuff ensued... I hadn't changed the gun nor anything else...

Yesterday I saw Chris at A.C Sporting to try to figure out what the hell was going on. I was suspecting the gun mount or something similar (I shoot gun down all the time)

In 2 minutes, he told me I was shooting UNDER everything... Weirdly enough I was perfectly inline, just UNDER. The then asked me if I had lost weight or something and yes, I had -- he then processed to tell me that I'm now *lower* on the gun than I was before, but my 'mental picture' of where the clay should be is still for when my head was just that notch higher on the gun (ie, 'high' on the bead, instead on 'on' the bead).

Proceeded over a hundred clay to shoot a bit higher, and bingo, back to slamming these 50 yard birds! It still does feel 'weird' but here's the story about 'figure of eight' I'm not about for forget about!

Your welcome

Out of interest please report back what you see with coin in place. And confirm what discipline you shoot.

I shoot English Sporting at the moment.

I tried the coin test yesterday. With the coin placed as far back on the rib as possible I can see all of the rib in front of it up to the bead.

I shoot English Sporting at the moment.

I tried the coin test yesterday. With the coin placed as far back on the rib as possible I can see all of the rib in front of it up to the bead.

Well traditionaly that is very high for sporting however many now shoot trap set up. If it works for you it I right, if it doesn't work then tradition wins and its wrong .