Cauliflower five ways.

JDog

My wife and I are avid watchers of 'Master Chef', the finals of which are this week. Last week one contestant produced 'cauliflower three ways' which was impressive. My own efforts with the brassica usually involve boiling and more boiling until the taste disappears and the end product has the texture of rubber.

Today Fenboy treated me to cauliflower five ways. That was the number of direction the birds came in from. Our hides were in the open in the middle of a field of caulis which were about to be disced in, and when I say 'about' I mean that Fenboy had to ask the tractor driver to reroute to another field as he was there with his tractor engine running when Fenboy turned up to set up his hide before I got there. We thanked him for going elsewhere at the end of our session.

The wind was strong as we set up our hides 40 m apart out in the open. There is no question that rotaries were needed to attract pigeons to our part of the field and we soon had two on the go. Pigeons were whirling around like Dervishes, some decoying, others going over some trees only to be confronted by another shooter and returning from whence they came. This was great sport. Fenboy shot well and had eleven pigeons for his first eleven shots. Thankfully he then missed a few (can I say that?) and we matched each other virtually bird for bird for the rest of the session.

Picking up in the very heavy crop of caulis was not easy but my dog Jasper and Fenboy's dog Drake worked tirelessly at the end. We estimated that we had shot one hundred pigeons between us and we considered that we did extremely well to pick ninety five.

DSC07630_zpsrhqtxiee.jpg

DSC07631_zpscabhdmbt.jpg

Edited by JDog

You both done extremely well to keep your hides up in the middle of a field , shoot that many over caulis and to pick up 95% of the days bag.

P S...... Hope Fenboy is keeping well and I for one miss his posts on the countryside and field sports , maybe one day he will come back on P W, fingers crossed.

Good read about a good day.

Shooting over cut caulis brought back some memories, usually coupled with shooting over harvested kale and broccoli.

Sadly, there is no longer any acreage of these crops in my shooting area.

I echo the previous comment that good shooting can be had after its been disced.