Expanding bullet law change

Evening gents,

I've searched and turned nothing up, but apologies if this has already been covered. So according to Henry Kranks, the law changed on May 2nd regarding expanding bullets (I won't call them heads, so help me God). It ain't often that a sensible relaxation of firearms laws happens in the UK, so it was a pleasant surprise:

What does this mean in relation to purchasing EXPANDING BULLETS FOR USE IN RIFLES?

- You can now purchase expanding bullets for your rifle online, over the phone or in-store without the need of a firearms license.
- There is no longer a requirement to examine a firearms certificate for specific conditions permitting the purchase/possession of expanding bullets.
- The sale will not be recorded in a register as previously done.
- The bullets will not be entered on to a firearms certificate.

What does this mean in relation to purchasing EXPANDING AMMUNITION FOR USE IN RIFLES?

- You can now purchase expanding ammunition for your rifle as long as that calibre is listed on your firearms certificate.
- There is no longer a requirement to examine a firearms certificate for specific conditions permitting the purchase/possession of expanding ammunition.
- Your certificate will be checked for the calibre.
- The sale will be recorded in a register and entered on to the firearms certificate.

Edited by sterling

I ordered a box of Barnes varmint grenades from field equipe online last Monday or Tuesday night. They stated on the website expanding projectiles needed to be face to face but I included the rule change on the notes section of the order form. I picked them up today because I missed the postie on Saturday.

I got a lift to the sorting office off my dad because my leg is still ******** and tried to explain to him the change in legislation. Being a none shooter he couldn't grasp why the government considered target and expanding projectiles as different and why they needed regulating as they're just lumps of lead, the worst you could do is drop a pallet of them on someone's head!

Excuse me for being Mr thicko but what is an expanding bullet??

a bullet that is designed to expand to a diameter larger than its nominal diameter on impact with a target. Hollow points, round points, and plastic tipped bullets all fall into this category. As opposed to solids and full metal jackets which are not designed to expand.

rick