Quarry Recognition

BreweryGrunt

Hi all, can anyone suggest a DVD/video to watch which will, along with my book, help me to identify different bird calls and also identify the birds in flight. I don't mean just to sit at home and learn quarry recognition, I think film footage would help me get a starting knowledge to then put into practice on the marshes before I do my quarry recognition test for the club. Thank you.

Hi,

there are several cds , mp3 packages available for UK bird calls , but this link should have most of what you need for free.

http://www.british-birdsongs.uk/alphabetical/

What book do you refer to ?. The Collins Bird guide has some very good illustrations on all European Birds . Or get it as an app.

http://collinsbirdguideapp.com/

As for film footage , well I must have close to 30 dvds on Bird shooting and I know of no single dvd that would contain all that you need to know . For a beginner I think Chris Greens series on Wildfowling would be helpful to you .

There videos on youtube which would be of benefit to , but you must remember , that what works on film best is nice sunlit decoying ducks with brilliant plumage nice and visible . So when its half dark and sleeting the same duck looks

half the size etc and doesn't get filmed and if it does theres probably a nice big rain spot or two on the lens so those films don't get uploaded as much.

Havinng said that there are some good French . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI165ZGD4Ac videos and these are helpful top you as they show shooting and flight angles of Birds we cannot shoot here . Remember you will need to know

the flight of the ones you must let fly on also . Have a look at this guys other films and the links off it also , I am sure it will help .

Good luck and enjoy your first season out there ,

Quack quack.

Hi all, can anyone suggest a DVD/video to watch which will, along with my book, help me to identify different bird calls and also identify the birds in flight. I don't mean just to sit at home and learn quarry recognition, I think film footage would help me get a starting knowledge to then put into practice on the marshes before I do my quarry recognition test for the club. Thank you.

For which club?

Thank you all for the advice. The links are especially useful thank you gadwall, I was referring to the Collins bird book,it is very good- I hadn't downloaded the app so that will be useful too. I am hoping to join is Rockland Wildfowlers, they are very friendly and welcoming members, I have been doing dog training classes with them for the last two years in the summer and also volunteered to help last year doing the broads clear up day. Rockland broad is a beautiful place. I have posted my application to them and am keen to improve my species identification skills to be ready. I anticipate my first season out to be more of an exercise of learning by sitting and observing wildlife activity and I'm looking forward to it!