.357 mag/38 special reloading

Basic Lee Loader would do (£35)

Next step up would be a Lee Breech Lock Hand Press or a basic single stage press (£42.70), but to those you'd need to add a set of dies (carbide £37)

Basic case prep bits around £15-£20

Powder measure (Lee Perfect Powder measure is very good, £27) or just use a plastic dipper

Ideally a decent balance scales but you could get by with a digital for now.

With the cheaper digital scales and small powder weights I'd throw 10 charges and weigh them all together then divide by 10 to get a more accurate weight.

Rough cost per round using cast bullets, £18-£25/100 depending on what you use.

Edited by phaedra1106

I have two lee pro 1000 s with all the bits and pieces . Left over from my pistol shooting days . These are the progressive presses that load a round at every pull of the handle .you can load 100 rounds in less than 10 minutes . You can have them both for £200 ,including the powder measures and a set of 38 special dies . Check on the net how much they are .

Harnser

I have two lee pro 1000 s with all the bits and pieces . Left over from my pistol shooting days . These are the progressive presses that load a round at every pull of the handle .you can load 100 rounds in less than 10 minutes . You can have them both for £200 ,including the powder measures and a set of 38 special dies . Check on the net how much they are .

Harnser

after checking out these two presses I realise that they are the lee load master .which are the top of the range presses and now cost 360 pound each .there for if anybody is interested in them I would have to ask a little bit more money . Harnser

Typical cost per load

primer 3.5p

powder 3.5 grains bullseye 2p

158grn bullet 6p

= 11.5p

My reloads use free lead, so drop the 6p from the above. Cast my own bullets to suit intended use, from a few 2nd hand bullet moulds.

Also got a bullet swager but no dies!!

As Phaedra says, get a Lee Loader.

This is a modified die type system. No press needed, just a flat surface & a plastic mallet.

Excellent for learning on or for small batches of ammunition.

Being cheap doesn't mean poor quality = it held the World record for years for most accurate reloads.

Even cheaper 2nd hand.

Used to make M1 carbine ammo with one.

The cost savings on reloads is only part of the picture.

Convenience is a big issue esp if your local shop has limited or no stock.

Casting makes even more sense = turn scrap into bullets = no supply chain & duty/vat/wages to be paid on bullets used. No postage.

All the hardware has an initial purchase cost but lots around used, and it retains value well....if looked after & you buy the right brands.

Check out some YouTube clips.

Have fun

Edited by saddler

check out ba10

http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges

for 38spl and .357.

BA10 is a lovely powder, very similar to Vhit N310, not dissimilar to Bullseye.

For carbines with the longer barrel I might be more inclined towards BA9 but I don't know anyone who sells Vectan powders these days. Last person I knew, I think was Peter Lawman.

Edited by Vince Green

Guest cookoff013

BA10 is a lovely powder, very similar to Vhit N310, not dissimilar to Bullseye.

For carbines with the longer barrel I might be more inclined towards BA9 but I don't know anyone who sells Vectan powders these days. Last person I knew, I think was Peter Lawman.

yep its absolutely stunning. pops in a 12gauge, and is ever so slightly more efficient than bullseye. it is wuite possibly the finest powder i`ve ever used.

i cross referenced alot to get ba10 in 12gauge running. ba10 is stunning. the price reflects that too.

yep its absolutely stunning. pops in a 12gauge, and is ever so slightly more efficient than bullseye. it is wuite possibly the finest powder i`ve ever used.

i cross referenced alot to get ba10 in 12gauge running. ba10 is stunning. the price reflects that too.

Does anybody know who sells it in London area or near Bisley

Guest cookoff013

no, i think john at FES sells it.

its a phenominal powder, i tested alot, i got 1000/ kg of powder in 12gauge, and thats 500+bar and 1300fps. that is outstanding.

i also did a 24g load that is phenominal, that is just under 740bar

its good for 28gram fibre subsonics, 21gram lead fibre loads.

i`ve seen the peaks that come from the pressure barrel. and its just shy of stunning, i`ve never used a powder so fast, and really was to be messing with 21g #4s for kids. it peaks and is done and dusted before

any other powder. now, because it peaks so sharp it can be variable, although it was just shy of stunning in the higher 740bar. the 28g subs are consistant when oting for a slightly quicker, than i actually published. at 13.2 grains in 12gauge just to up the pressure a tad and get a more usable shell thats low gas volume and is silent in moderated guns.

roughshooter developed a 21g version.

no, i think john at FES sells it.

its a phenominal powder, i tested alot, i got 1000/ kg of powder in 12gauge, and thats 500+bar and 1300fps. that is outstanding.

i also did a 24g load that is phenominal, that is just under 740bar

its good for 28gram fibre subsonics, 21gram lead fibre loads.

i`ve seen the peaks that come from the pressure barrel. and its just shy of stunning, i`ve never used a powder so fast, and really was to be messing with 21g #4s for kids. it peaks and is done and dusted before

any other powder. now, because it peaks so sharp it can be variable, although it was just shy of stunning in the higher 740bar. the 28g subs are consistant when oting for a slightly quicker, than i actually published. at 13.2 grains in 12gauge just to up the pressure a tad and get a more usable shell thats low gas volume and is silent in moderated guns.

roughshooter developed a 21g version.

Hi cookoff, you have me intrigued with the BA 10 information you have posted. Would it be cheeky of me to ask you to PM me some 12 gauge load data for BA 10? It is a powder i am easily able to obtain and if it's useable in small quantities then it may be a cheaper load for me instead of the AS i have been using. I use BA 9 for other reloading and i like the way it meters compared to the AS flakes,

Thanks for your time

Guest cookoff013

yeah, send me a pm requesting data. i keep track of the topics but some slip through.
plastic or fibre?

nb its not more economic, it is as economic at 15 grain.

• 2 months later...

hi have you still got all the lee reloading equipment for sale, thanks alfiepoole

after checking out these two presses I realise that they are the lee load master .which are the top of the range presses and now cost 360 pound each .there for if anybody is interested in them I would have to ask a little bit more money . Harnser

Harnser