The Game Fair 2017 Hatfield House

catroofel

I very much enjoyed listening to Nigel Farage in the Carter Jonas theatre.

One of the staff in a gunshop saw me coveting the side by sides and (not quite literally) before I could finish saying I was only browsing I was holding the finest example from the rack. I did resist but I would have quite liked to have prepared myself before I went then I think there would have been an addition to the cabinet, I didn't realise how many there would be and from about £60. One is definitely on the cards now.

A long journey home after a smash on the A1M.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very much enjoyed listening to Nigel Farage in the Carter Jonas theatre.

One of the staff in a gunshop saw me coveting the side by sides and (not quite literally) before I could finish saying I was only browsing I was holding the finest example from the rack. I did resist but I would have quite liked to have prepared myself before I went then I think there would have been an addition to the cabinet, I didn't realise how many there would be and from about £60. One is definitely on the cards now.

A long journey home after a smash on the A1M.

hello, what company was that yod dropper??

Went yesterday, no problem getting in, more exhibitors than last year particularly shooting area, very untidy layout though meant very difficult to navigate even with a guide map. Big issue was even though website stated it would be open until 7.30 most stalls where closing by 5.30! Tried unsuccessfully to get a coffee when leaving at 6.30! Big issue walking back to car park from gate C they where letting vehicles out along a single track road at the same time as others, including the tractors and trailers ferrying people to the car parks, trying to get in, result gridlock with pedestrians having to walk along very unlevel ground. My guess is most exhibitors would be very dissapointed and unlikely to go again. Think it's run its course and sadly I won't be going again.

Can't recall, I gazed upon many. The one with the cheap gun(s) covered quite an area though more than one stand had some cheap ones. The lovely one was £4k, a lot more than I'd want to be spending, that was in quite a large set-up as I remember.

hello, it may have been Lovels of Witney as they did the last game fair,

Went yesterday, no problem getting in, more exhibitors than last year particularly shooting area, very untidy layout though meant very difficult to navigate even with a guide map. Big issue was even though website stated it would be open until 7.30 most stalls where closing by 5.30! Tried unsuccessfully to get a coffee when leaving at 6.30! Big issue walking back to car park from gate C they where letting vehicles out along a single track road at the same time as others, including the tractors and trailers ferrying people to the car parks, trying to get in, result gridlock with pedestrians having to walk along very unlevel ground. My guess is most exhibitors would be very dissapointed and unlikely to go again. Think it's run its course and sadly I won't be going again.

Next year it is at Ragley Hall. Last time I went to one at Ragley it was good (4 years ago (?) back in CLA days), and last years was at Ragley. I didn't go - but friends who did thought it good last year.

I went on Friday to Hatfield and it was a long walk from gate C to the car (no tractors and trailer were running - which might have been a problem for those carrying stuff), but otherwise no problems for me getting out (or in). I didn't think the layout all that 'untidy' and found everything I wanted quite easily, but having the map a couple of days before (downloadable and print?) would have made it much easier to plan the day.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Can't recall, I gazed upon many. The one with the cheap gun(s) covered quite an area though more than one stand had some cheap ones. The lovely one was £4k, a lot more than I'd want to be spending, that was in quite a large set-up as I remember.

The company was based just outside Peterborough as i bought some centrefire ammo there. Can't remember their name but will have the details on my cert.

just got back after attending today. my first game fair of any description.

really enjoyed it, arrived at half seven this morning and left about half three.

no problems getting in or leaving car parks at all.

walked god knows how many miles and yes the food is expensive, but that's the case at any big event. take a pack lunch if over priced food offends you.

didn't find a rifle to fill my vacant slot on my ticket but did buy a deer hunter coat that I could probably have lived without but couldn't resist once I had tried it on.

all in all a good day out

I went on Friday and arrived at 8-00 am, cars were streaming into A car park at that time but we only spent a few minutes queing up.

Got in through the gates about 8-15 and had a quick coffee and by then all the stalls were open. Gunmakers row seemed a bit odd with shops scattered around instead of one row.

Couldnt source a shotgun I was keen on buying so stocked up with moleskins and jumpers which as always were going at knocked down prices. We seemed to have walked for miles

and called it a day at 3-45. Bit of a nightmare getting out which wasnt helped by people detouring around the outside edge of the car park and trying to force their way in at the front of the que. Useless bloody marshalls stood around chatting instead of putting up the rope barrier that was there to prevent que jumping. All in all a good show but I now dont want to look at another Beretta as long as I live !.

I have been going to these fairs for a while now, this is beter that the last one at Leeds (which was questionable). If I did not have the free basc entry I would not off attended and would not of mist anything. A lot of the stall holders I spoke to will not be attending the Midlands game fair at Weston park

Going today we are local so it's a no brained with free entry. Parking could be interesting as we had one hell of a lot of rain last night. Most of the parking was only put down to grass this year I gather so we shall see how it stands up to it

Going today we are local so it's a no brained with free entry. Parking could be interesting as we had one hell of a lot of rain last night. Most of the parking was only put down to grass this year I gather so we shall see how it stands up to it

Take your wellies if there has been rain. On Friday the ground in the show area was very 'spongy' and soft, but dry. It will go muddy very easily with rain; in contrast, grass in car parks seemed pretty good on Friday and it was all flat where I was.

Guest topshot_2k

I thought it was ok, still nowhere near as good as it used to be at Harewood/Belvoir/Ragley. Very few gun shops now compared to a few years ago and the fishing area has nearly disappeared.

Edited by topshot_2k

Just got back it was really gloopy underfoot (really muddy ) no issues getting in or out picked up bargain at croots

The guy on stand said "are u interested " I said "not unless you got an amazing show deal"

Boom 3 mins later proud owner of 2 leather gunslips 1 dark brown 1tan slight seconds 130 the pair happy days

Just got in myself, must say I liked it,

Bought my Mrs some stalking gear as she's my lucky charm every time she comes with me I get one.. got a great deal on some muck boots, nice picture of a roe buck from Jessica Lennox, really muddy tho and the car park took 45 mins to get in and a hour to get out the mud had at least 2 victims that got carried away by ambulance staff... all in all I liked it, even better it was free to get in for both of us... I'll go again..

Just back and a few observations.
1, My mate came along to buy a new rim fire, Hull had none on show!, why no rifles bs answer about licenses so no go there.
2, Ruag, yea special deal gun for £795, ticket on gun states £735 show offer, sales man dissapears another numpty turns up and says it's an error and clears off, another no deal with no sorry mate or **** all.
3, Some very good people on other stands but lacking in info on products available.
4, ln and out in no time at all, good traffic management.
Would l go again, nope.

I went today. It was Very muddy! Took about 20 mins to get in (with lots of que jumpers) but straight out with no issues.

It's still the best game fair about IMO but there were a few frustrating things.

We went on the spur of the moment so no forward planning and checking maps of the show layout. But navigating the convoluted routes made it very easy to miss bits and difficult to find stands you wanted to revisit.

Secondly, the show was stated as finishing at 6:00. Stands were packing up at 4:30, by 5:15 the toilets were being locked up so if you wanted a pee before your journey home you were stuffed! Luckily some me other disgruntled visitors had found someone with a key to unlock.

Will we go again? Yes, it's a nice day out with the family and with free entry for half of us being BASC members it's not too expensive (if we all had to pay full whack, then it'd probably be a no!)

The wife actually talked me into buying a rather nice stalking knife though so I'm happy!😬

Guest topshot_2k

The company was based just outside Peterborough as i bought some centrefire ammo there. Can't remember their name but will have the details on my cert.

John Bradshaw guns?

Edited by topshot_2k

Shell not be doing that again. Paid to get in, no problem with that. But came off the motorway and followed the signs, got to a gate and asked about disabled parking, sent to the next get, they sent us to the next, got to that one and was sent to the next one again, tis happened several times and in all we drove a college loop for and hour onlygot be back where we started and saved in. This followed by a rather potholed drive across feild after feild, mashed the under side of car rather badly. Then no one knew where we should be going and ended up joining the rest of the cars that came straight in off the road.

Get in over your later. Head for gunmakers row, fine if you want a shotgun, hard luck on rifles and ammo, nothing there.

It was all food and clothes with very little else. Nothing more than a over priced car boot sale.

Shelf be going again. I think it will only be the shooting show from now on.

I was there for the Sat and Sn thought it was very good. Lots to see, demonstrations, new kit to examine, debates, lots of folk to catch up with - those are the reasons I go. If you simply want cheap stuff, go online and save yourself the exercise - but you'd be missing a lot more.

Bit muddy on the last day because of heavy overnight rain, but at least the sun was shining on the Sunday morning and hey, if you can't hack a bit of mud, you probably shouldn't go into the countryside.

The free entry for BASC members was excellent. I hope the same offer is on for next year at Ragely.

Shell not be doing that again. Paid to get in, no problem with that. But came off the motorway and followed the signs, got to a gate and asked about disabled parking, sent to the next get, they sent us to the next, got to that one and was sent to the next one again, tis happened several times and in all we drove a college loop for and hour onlygot be back where we started and saved in. This followed by a rather potholed drive across feild after feild, mashed the under side of car rather badly. Then no one knew where we should be going and ended up joining the rest of the cars that came straight in off the road.

Get in over your later. Head for gunmakers row, fine if you want a shotgun, hard luck on rifles and ammo, nothing there.

It was all food and clothes with very little else. Nothing more than a over priced car boot sale.

Shelf be going again. I think it will only be the shooting show from now on.

Parking was a joke, we were sent to 2 different gates, when we left we drive from car park c to a junction only to be sent back into another car park by a guy who had no idea, so we were stuck again..I did like the show but parking was a joke...so was the security.