Sustainable take rate for Rabbits?

SurreySquireler

I have recently been seeing loads of bunnies out on one of my permissions were before we saw very few. I was wondering if there is a sustainable take rate per year from an area of X number of rabbits to ensure their survival; as on most of the permission we only shoot them for the pot. Also is there any way of assessing the size of a colony of rabbits to aid the calculation of the take rate?

I do like having the rabbits around and they taste delicious but there is no need, and I don't want, to wipe them out totally otherwise there wont be any for the pot in years to come.

If you are clearing them because of crop damage you have to clear them. If you are just shooting a few for the pot then you won't have much effect. Don't forget that at this time of year the larger ones will be either be tough stinky old bucks or milky does feeding young or pregnant with young. The smaller young starters are good tender eating. Fryed in the pan.

Can you get hold of a thermal camera at all? Having a look at night normally gives you a better idea of how many are about. If your only taking a few for the pot so long as you don't shoot all the breeding does you should have plenty.

Spend some time with binos watch the bucks chasing the does about, its not obvious but you will notice a difference, as fortune says if you've been asked to clear them that's what you try but if you can take what you want at leisure I would stick to half grown this time of year so you have plenty left for winter.

You could just use a lamp but I mentioned the thermal from what I've seen on TV and people saying how great they are, plus no one knows your there 😉

Ok thanks

On most of this permission they do no harm really and we have not been asked to clear them as it is mature woodland, however on some of the arable fields then it is a bit different.

I will try to spend so time just watching them, and will lay off them for a few weeks till the young ones are properly half grown- the other day I somehow manager to shoot 4 bucks (from different areas) by pure accident as I had no clue how to identify them at distance.

Edited by SurreySquireler

You could just use a lamp but I mentioned the thermal from what I've seen on TV and people saying how great they are, plus no one knows your there 😉

Someone I stalk with uses a thermal spotter, one good way to see what is about that binos dont see in some conditions, also he found it handy when he saw a buck, thermal scan also showed a group of walkers in the woodland behind it, so no shot taken. Normal binos did not pick up the group of people...

When we see a population get to a decent size myxi sets in and takes them out. If you have it anywhere where you are it might be good idea to take them whilst you can. Even a few left will provide some for the pot on a casual basis.

yeah we had mexy a few years ago so I deliberately left any healthy rabbits I saw to help them re-establish, so mexy is definitely around. I thought the ones left would be resistant to it though, as otherwise they would have died.

Well I was hoping that this would been a return to the big numbers seen previously as that really would provide lots of fun evenings out and many for the pot but is that not so?

Someone I stalk with uses a thermal spotter, one good way to see what is about that binos dont see in some conditions, also he found it handy when he saw a buck, thermal scan also showed a group of walkers in the woodland behind it, so no shot taken. Normal binos did not pick up the group of people...

We'll that's another good reason to get one, when the feo comes round another safety feature to mention,

You don't need thermal cameras or night vision or any other sort of exotic and expensive stuff just have a mooch round and knock a few of the smaller medium sized ones over. There is a bit of a thing about rabbiting when there is an R in the month. the season for rabbits is the months which do contain R's in them. In the other months take young rabbits and not shoot the parents unless it is a clearance job.

Edited re; Months/ do. Thanks to mice for correction promt. I think that it is correct now.

Edited by fortune

I usually shoot with a Magtech semi auto .22 rimfire, or a CZ HMR, but got a new permission on a large recreational park with rugby, cricket, archery and tennis courts, which meant that the Career 707 .22 PCP rifle had to come out of retirement, due to 24 hour public access. All these functions have wooden clubhouses, which provide the perfect refuge for the bunnies, that are ripping up the pitches. What with shooting, ferreting and mixy last year, I thought that we had seen the last of them, but blow me they are back again. So answering the OP, I'd say just keep popping away, you'll never get them all. My blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/shin-sung-career-707-22-rabbit-control/