got an itch.....

ips

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mate has a .177 ultra max and it is possibly the most accurate ultra we have had between us yet (thats 8 ultras ) it loves exact 4.53 and easily shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yds and often makes group's around 1/4 inch on our range .

Its a stunning rifle .

Highly reccomended.

Cheers, the thing that attracts me (other than its so darned sexy) is the length. The aa400 is now a cumbersome heavy thing with the mod and bipod fitted. Would you say that shot count of 40 is achievable in reality. ??

Would you still fit a bipod for rabbit shooting or is it not the done thing on a short carbine?

Oh yeah 40 shots is easily possible .but you need to get to fill to the start of the sweet spot usually around 240 bar in .177 and 220 in .22 .these guns work best using a pump as they are easy enought to fill the 175 mm tube and also you wont be left short of air .like you can be with a bottle filling it .

Ps putting a bipod on is fine and actually easier on an ultra max than a standard ultra as the fore stock is a bit longer giving you more room to mount it .

Ps if you feel you want more air and shots but dont want to sacrifice the light weight feel you can always fit a longer titanuim air tube and fit a huub shroud too .thats what my mate has done recently

Scorpion se 65 shots

Ultramax 40 shots

Scorpion about 10cm shorter than my AA ultra even shorter. Ultramax has tiny forend with no room for bipod but scorpion does seem to have room.

Question

Is the cammo stock wood or synthetic ??

Any opinion on which one specifically for rabbits

I believe the camo one is a horrible plastic job - and it is horrible. There are some tactical stocks that are wood, with a rubberised coating, like the Daystates, BSA R10 and of course the wondrous Weihrauch HW110, but the Scorpion is just plastic. Think 1990's Vauxhall Astra plastic trim. I'd go for a wood one.

(if I'm wrong and it's rubberised finish over a wood stock, then it's worth looking at as it's durable, stands up to rain and scratches well and is very grippy, even with wet hands. You can tell immediately though. They feel completely different. The rubberised finish has a soft, smooth ever-so slightly spongy feel)

The ultramax is a camo over beech wood stock with soft touch .

Mate has one on his max and same stock in his scorpion se too

Bsa have also released a couple of other camo stocks on thier ultras bith based on the black synthetic tactical stock . There is the older multicam (ie British military )and the woodlands camo which looks similar the the leaf pattern by realtree .

Non of em feel horrible and as far as synthetic stocks go they are among the best .

Scorpion se 65 shots

Ultramax 40 shots

Scorpion about 10cm shorter than my AA ultra even shorter. Ultramax has tiny forend with no room for bipod but scorpion does seem to have room.

Question

Is the cammo stock wood or synthetic ??

Any opinion on which one specifically for rabbits

Again my mate has had no issues mounting bipods on his ultra max and his same stocked scorpion.

Seen both today and was no room on ultra max (wood stock) to fit bipod as the guage was in the way (as far as I could tell) I like the very short ultra carbine but also considering the shot count benefit of the scorpion. Having said that I cant envisage shooting fourty rabbit in one go !!

I definitely want one or the other..

So where did you go to ease the itch? I would think with a 40 shot count then you could use a pump to refill the bottle quite easily.

And I doubt you will shoot 40 rabbits imagine how heavy they would be, 5 or 6 and home you go.

I am away in caravan at Keswick mate.

Good air gun shop also huge stock of cammo gear, knives etc. Got the scorpion in cammo and ultra se in wood.

I think I am swaying to ultra but in cammo, seen a youtube vid showing one fitted with bipod as untrastu assured me could be done, so that's the plan....i think 😁

Just looking at my options.

Ultra se in olive green.., more subtle than cammo !!! No need to worry about drying wood out and refinishing every few yeas, presumably quite hard wearing.

So synthetic stock any good in practice, anyone got any thoughts.

Um, be a bit different too , don't like tactical black, don't like the very short wood stock. Do like the camo BUT is camo any more camo than green plus its got the sling swivels already fitted and its maintenance free and presumably hard wearing and its light. My local dealer has one, rifle only which is what I want as I have spare scopes..decision time me thinks.

Deal done olive green ultra se ordered. Camo not available rifle only and as I have a spare scope etc I don't fancy paying £150 more for stuff I don't need. Anyway I like the green jobbie equally, probably would have gone camo if I could have got rifle only but hey ho.

Will post pics when its all built up.

Thank you to everyone who gave input and advice, I appreciate it.

Ian