One eye shut or both eyes open.

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

I have always shot with eyes open and to be honest never really gave it a second thought. However about a yr ago I first noticed my mate shutting one eye while we was shooting trap. After the round I asked him why he was shutting one eye. He replied I've always done it. I didn't believe him at first and just thought he was winding me up. But no after taking a bit more notice while he's shooting yep sure enough he does.

Now since I noticed him doing it I can't believe how many shooters do the same.

Don't get me wrong I'm far from knocking it. I just can't get my head around the idea.

I've tried doing it myself but if I shut one eye I can't not judge distance at all.

How many people shut one eye

Edited by stevo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, back in the days when most shot with side by sides i and am sure others i knew had both eyes open, j ruffers book the art of good shooting? then the O/Us became available with the high level single ribs, more like a rifle with open sights you closed the left eye if dominant right and visa versa. this led to most O/U shooters closing one eye to get a better level view along the rib to the bead, now that the semi autos are so popular can i presume most shut one eye shooting them?, having just been checked for glasses i have had to have special pair made for shooting and it is still left eye shut although i might try a patch on the left lens in future, its an interesting topic stevo

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Guest stevo

Like I said I'm far from criticising anyone who closes one eye. It totally blows my mind how people do it. I have tried and tried just as an experiment really to see if I can do it. And Nope not a chance. It's almost like when your thinking about buying a new car you never see one on the road. But as soon as you buy it. There's loads haha. Starting to feel the odd one out at my local ground 😂

Both eyes open. That's how I was told to shoot so I always have done.

A mate of mine closes one eye just before he takes the shot. I tried it once but it felt horrible to me.

Hand a gun to a beginner though and unless they're told otherwise the natural instinct seems to be to close one eye to focus on the bead. Perhaps that's why so many shooters do it?

hello, back in the days when most shot with side by sides i and am sure others i knew had both eyes open, j ruffers book the art of good shooting? then the O/Us became available with the high level single ribs, more like a rifle with open sights you closed the left eye if dominant right and visa versa. this led to most O/U shooters closing one eye to get a better level view along the rib to the bead, now that the semi autos are so popular can i presume most shut one eye shooting them?, having just been checked for glasses i have had to have special pair made for shooting and it is still left eye shut although i might try a patch on the left lens in future, its an interesting topic stevo

"Rufferite!, eh?

As you have glasses purely for shooting, try the patch idea. As small as is necessary to block the left eye vision of the muzzle end of the barrels and positioned such that it has no effect until the gun comes into your shoulder not forgetting to check it's also right for over head shots.. Then simply fit and forget and both eyes open. Avoid driving with them on though.

Everyone who has stated that they keep both eyes open to shoot, are blessed with a right master eye for right handers (or left for left handers), so they do not experience any problems while shooting with both eyes open. Pity then the shooter who for one reason or another is not so fortunate, unless they dim one eye or teach themselves to overcome the problem, they WILL shoot around a foot to the left of their target. (or right depending on which shoulder they are shooting from).

Edited by Westley

Everyone who has stated that they keep both eyes open to shoot, are blessed with a right master eye for right handers (or left for left handers), so they do not experience any problems while shooting with both eyes open. Pity then the shooter who for one reason or another is not so fortunate, unless they dim one eye or teach themselves to overcome the problem, they WILL shoot around a foot to the left of their target. (or right depending on which shoulder they are shooting from).

Nail on the head Westly, eye dominance is the main cause of shooting with one eye closed.

One eye closed as I dont have right eye dominance but after years of shooting rifles right handed I cant shoot off my left shoulder. Works for me though I hold my own most of the time with the crowd I shoot with.

Though it does cause me some issues picking up left to right fast crossers at times

Edited by Zetter

I was taught from day one over 70 years ago to shoot with both eyes open. My grandfather said to me, why do you think you were made with two eyes? As mentioned above they do give you all sorts of help in judging distance, peripheral knowledge etc etc., AND if you happen to find yourself in a tactical life threatening situation, why shut off half of your vision. I also shot handguns both eyes open. I think what also helped me was spending many hours as a child hunting with a catapult and a bow and arrow.

Let's face it, if you point at something with your finger, you don't aim along it and I guarantee you will not be far off being accurate.

I also dim my left eye, as it's dominant. With the eye open, I see the side of the gun instead of the gun in line. It's not terribly difficult as if you shoot gun down, you have eyes open most of the time, dim JUST as the gun come to the face, shoot, and immediately lower the gun/re-open the eye. The eye-dimming is part of the gun mount and becomes a reflex.

Depth perception is only useful at the start of the target acquisition -- once your brain has taken that into account, you no longer /need/ 3D anyway.

There are a few interesting tidbits in Bob Brister "Shotgunning" where he says that most shooters who use both eyes are subject to fatigue or age where the eye dominance will switch temporarily, or even permanently -- if it happens when you are tired for example, you'll start missing.

I also dim my left eye, as it's dominant. With the eye open, I see the side of the gun instead of the gun in line. It's not terribly difficult as if you shoot gun down, you have eyes open most of the time, dim JUST as the gun come to the face, shoot, and immediately lower the gun/re-open the eye. The eye-dimming is part of the gun mount and becomes a reflex.

Depth perception is only useful at the start of the target acquisition -- once your brain has taken that into account, you no longer /need/ 3D anyway.

There are a few interesting tidbits in Bob Brister "Shotgunning" where he says that most shooters who use both eyes are subject to fatigue or age where the eye dominance will switch temporarily, or even permanently -- if it happens when you are tired for example, you'll start missing.

Coming up to my 77th birthday and pleased to say I am still struggling to have Mr Bristers suggested problem .... I do however admire his knowledge and writings, just not happened to me ...YET! :good:

Target acquisition ???? OK, you've locked on to that pigeon about to land in your pattern, so you close your none aiming eye and miss seeing the second one sneaking in over your left shoulder. Same applies to a tactical situation where your life may be on the line. :yes:

Coming up to my 77th birthday and pleased to say I am still struggling to have Mr Bristers suggested problem .... I do however admire his knowledge and writings, just not happened to me ...YET! :good:

Target acquisition ???? OK, you've locked on to that pigeon about to land in your pattern, so you close your none aiming eye and miss seeing the second one sneaking in over your left shoulder. Same applies to a tactical situation where your life may be on the line. :yes:

:yes:

Can have its advantages though. You're just about to shoot the first and the second distracts you so you miss. You mentally swing on to the second before you've really shot at the first, but then look back to see what happened to the first and consequently miss that as well. Been there, done that.

I can shoot with both eyes open - rifle and shotgun and happily watch a 22 subsonic trundle down to the target - but all too often my left eye goes walkabout - in my case it's nowt to do with age, it always has done - and now having to wear spec's the small patch correctly placed has cured the problem.

[quote name="Walker570" post="3258626" timestamp="1494831286

Ok let's try the other way for the man or lady with serious eye dominance issues. The pigeon comes nicely floating into the pattern straight down their throat slow and easy. Gun comes up both eyes open fixed on the pigeon both eyes open, see the next coming in to the left nice easy second shot. Bang left eye pushed the shot up the right hand side again. Day goes on they've fired 300 cartridges hit nothing all day again.

So just maybe closing that left eye, yes may not see the second bird coming in but atleast they hit some birds.