.22 or .25 FAC

achosenman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My .22 FAC air is my most used gun. I use it in fields to 70yds with predictable accuracy as well as around buildings / yard areas. I've not tested beyond that since I got a rangefinder as I've not needed to.

Edited by Gonk

Just to put typical ranges on the different calibers .to group inside an inch consistently in calm weather.

.177 fac around 60 yds .

.22 fac around 70 yds

.25 fac around 85 yds

Obviously not all guns pellets and people are made equal but over the years and with a few differnt fac airs these ranges are pretty close to being about right .

Interesting thoughts there Ultrastu. Isn't the best advice: buy all 3 calibres haha. Or find a gun with interchangeable calibres, I think FX impact can do that?

In my view, the more guns the happier ;-) But it's an expensive hobby.

Anyway, to answer your question @ achosenman:

I've not had the opportunity to use my Bobcat for hunting yet, have a day off but the weather is pretty awful here in Devon. Might be better tonight.

But the trajectory is flat. Roughly the same poi from 10 to 40 meters (half a cm low at 10 and half a cm high at 30 and half a cm low at 40 - I can't think in inches yet ;-).

At 50m I need to give 1 mildot holdover. Haven't tested it at longer distances, will do though.

Shooting a tight group at 50m was sooo easy. The reason is exactly what you wrote: the Bobcat has mass. It's incredibly steady. It weighs 3.8kg without scope.

I don't find this a problem. It would be a bit heavy to carry around all day long though. And I won't take free standing shots, don't really do that anyway.

It feels steady, great chunky stock, but all in proportion, and the whole package is quite short. Shorter than most rifles, almost as short as my Ultra with Weihrauch silencer fitted.

Interesting thoughts there Ultrastu. Isn't the best advice: buy all 3 calibres haha. Or find a gun with interchangeable calibres, I think FX impact can do that?

In my view, the more guns the happier ;-) But it's an expensive hobby.

Anyway, to answer your question @ achosenman:

I've not had the opportunity to use my Bobcat for hunting yet, have a day off but the weather is pretty awful here in Devon. Might be better tonight.

But the trajectory is flat. Roughly the same poi from 10 to 40 meters (half a cm low at 10 and half a cm high at 30 and half a cm low at 40 - I can't think in inches yet ;-).

At 50m I need to give 1 mildot holdover. Haven't tested it at longer distances, will do though.

Shooting a tight group at 50m was sooo easy. The reason is exactly what you wrote: the Bobcat has mass. It's incredibly steady. It weighs 3.8kg without scope.

I don't find this a problem. It would be a bit heavy to carry around all day long though. And I won't take free standing shots, don't really do that anyway.

It feels steady, great chunky stock, but all in proportion, and the whole package is quite short. Shorter than most rifles, almost as short as my Ultra with Weihrauch silencer fitted.

That's good to hear, can you mount a sling? I use a single point sling on the Impact using a Magpul Picatinny rail ring attachment. It makes life a lot easier.

Atb

Ive fitted a fx tube clamp to my wildcat and mounted both bipod and sling to it ..

Its great

:good: The solutions available to mount/carry kit is vast these days.

It used to be the exclusive preserve of the military, but is now so main stream pretty much any requirement can be met.

11 quick shots tonight with the .25 Bobcat at 60 meters (65 yards). The pin gives a reference for the size of the group. Not very good I know, that's down to me. But as shot in quick succession with a tractor tyre as a rest, I am still pleased with it. 2 mildots holdover (1 mildot holdover at 50m/55yards). I'll need to aim a tad higher at 60 meters. Scope on 12 mag.

post-60018-0-18613600-1495056724_thumb.png

Edited by louisvanhovell

11 quick shots tonight with the .25 Bobcat at 60 meters (65 yards). The pin gives a reference for the size of the group. Not very good I know, that's down to me. But as shot in quick succession with a tractor tyre as a rest, I am still pleased with it. 2 mildots holdover (1 mildot holdover at 50m/55yards). I'll need to aim a tad higher at 60 meters. Scope on 12 mag.

:good: Well that Bobcat certainly gets the job done.

Just to put typical ranges on the different calibers .to group inside an inch consistently in calm weather.

.177 fac around 60 yds .

.22 fac around 70 yds

.25 fac around 85 yds

Obviously not all guns pellets and people are made equal but over the years and with a few differnt fac airs these ranges are pretty close to being about right .

Kind of confirms what I was thinking. FAC needs the heavier pellet. Kind of pointless using FAC with 22 or 177.

Kind of confirms what I was thinking. FAC needs the heavier pellet. Kind of pointless using FAC with 22 or 177.

That kind of misses the point a bit .

The heavier .25 cal is great if you need power or for longrange ground game like rabbits .

But useless for anything elevated or with a poor back stop . (Think a row of houses 200 yds away or a road

On the other side of a hedge across a large field ) .the heavy .25 can skip and go right through it still carrying 30 fpe and kill .

Where as the .177 will loose virtually all its energy making these shots safe .

Also i set all my fac airs around the same velocity .about 880 fps .for accuracy .and they all have basically the same trajectory .

So its just as easy to hit a 60 yd rabbit with a .177 .22 or .25

Did you know that a 16 fpe .177 exact has less energy at 75 yds than a sub 12 .22 exact ?

Making this .177 fac gun safer than the .22 sub 12 .in fallout terms ie shots that come down from an elevated shot .

There is a place for all calibres its finding their best aplication .

A lot of people knock and dont get the .177 fac idea .

But if you want to see how efective it can be take a look as some of matt dubber s ( airarms south africa)

Early hunting vids where he only uses an s410 fac extra in .177 .

Taking 80 yd kill shots .

Hi dc177

No worries .thats a good question.

First off .i have small kids and dont want live rounds in my house .

Second im an airgun nut and love to see what they can do .

My buddy has .22 lr .17 hmr and above and i see what they can do and what they offer .

For our perms at least the 17 hmr is too loud (horses people etc )

And in summer when the ground is hard the .22 lr with its bouncing bullets is a problem waiting to happen .the relatively fragile diabolo pellets shed energy fast and deform quickly making for a safer projectile

The other issue i have with .22 lr especially is that there can be a lot of variation bullet to bullet in the powder or burn rate .with a bad batch this can seriously limit your group sizes and range to les than 50 yds . Doesnt matter how good you gun is if you feed it **** bullets ten accuracy can be way off .

Again my mate has just retured 5000 .22 lr for this exact reson .

A well set up pcp can be more accurate than a lr .curently my fx wildcat .25 is out performing my mates sako finfire .22 lr .by about 40 yds

Oh a dead rabbit doesnt know if its hit by 30 fpe or 70 .

Much easier to get than powder burners. A large garden with a rabbit problem or similar would probably be accepted as a good enough reason to apply.

Yep exactly one of my perms is large garden passed for fac air .

The feo s dont tend to differentiate between the fac air cals .

So a garden will usually be just oassed for fac air .allowing your 50 fpe .25 or even a 100 fpe .30 cal .

Tho personally i dont see any practical use for .30 cal your definatly into rimmy territory there .

When i applied for my 3 cals .the feo asked if i wanted .30 too .

I said no .