.22 or .25 FAC

achosenman

Ultra, great points and thanks. Your first 4 statements match my requirements. I was thinking of 22lr and had already discounted the 177hmr due to the noise. You dont hear these factors from the rimfire fanboys. My need is to shoot rabbits from 60yds and not worry about wind. So .25 still seems like the ticket.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh it is .

But the same as a .22 lr .you have to hit the head or the front of the body .and shot too far back will just injure the rabbit .the one shot i think you can do with a .22 lrand not fac .25 is a body shot from the rear where the extra lr penetration takes the bullet through to the vitals .this wont happen with the airgun

.25 and .177 sound like the ticket for me to be honest, but I thing I may well go for the .25 over the .177

the pain is the cabinet situation as I share it with my dad and neither of us have an FAC so it would mean a new cabinet

Post that question separate sure I read somewhere on here that the fac air rifle could be locked to the cabinet inside so only you have access and you wouldn't need another locker for your ammo.

I share Ultrastu's thoughts on airgun vs firearm. Have got both, but massively prefer shooting my air rifles. More accessible, for me more interesting technology and developments, safer, Plus I personally don't like to shoot animals at great distances, for me the challenge lies in getting up close and not being spotted (if you have to shoot foxes for instance, then it's another story of course). Plus I find air rifles easier to shoot, all of mine have got better triggers for than my firearms.

Went for a stalk yesterday night and saw a badger btw, it trotted towards me along the hedge for about 100 meters and then passed just one meter from me. Looked at me from that distance, wasn't sure but didn't really think I was much of a problem, and then continued on his journey. Very very nice. I know some people hate them (being a vet I know all about these sentiments...) but you just can't beat such an encounter. Didn't shoot anything but this made my day.

Nice to see all wildlife in my opinion just a case of some things need to be controlled and folk who don't know anything get all flustered about it.

Very much enjoying this thread chaps, always fancied a fac air, would like it in .25 so lots of useful info 👍

Good debate. One more for the mix though: if your permission wants the numbers cut down big time, is an FAC air rifle up to the job? I mean, the 22LR or 177HMR are the norm when it comes to culling rabbits in big numbers. A hard-nosed landowner wants results rather than you having a nice time. Discuss!

Good debate. One more for the mix though: if your permission wants the numbers cut down big time, is an FAC air rifle up to the job? I mean, the 22LR or 177HMR are the norm when it comes to culling rabbits in big numbers. A hard-nosed landowner wants results rather than you having a nice time. Discuss!

In over 20 years of shooting rabbits on a lot of different land .ive yet to hear from the land owner that he wants all the rabbits eradicated .

Control is the usual form .

And i think most people will alow an air rifle over a powder burner because they are seen as quiet and less dangerous.

I dont want to kill all the rabbits either .

On my main perm the local cats and rhd2 is doing most the work at the mo .

Its been a VERY lean year so far for me

On my patch I eradicate the problem area's only. I can sit back at 300yds + and clear out a warren in a few days if pushed. I've had to do this on a couple of occasions on my main patch due to the damage being inflicted. These days all they need is controlling.

If there is a problem crop and there have been several over the years, I can eradicate in excess of several hundred over a few days with a 22lr and a Longbow NV unit. This is purely vermin control, nothing sporting about it. TBH, the logistics of dealing with the carcasses takes more time than shooting them.

As for the FAC .22 slot that I have just acquired, I want to fill a niche in the power bracket between 12ft lbs air and .22lr. I have some area's that are close to A roads that I cannot shoot safely with a rimfire. A center fire rifle is simply not suitable.

ATM, walking around with the NV unit on a sub 12ft lbs air rifle has proved somewhat effective, but IMHO is far to limited to be truly useful at the ranges I need for rabbit control.

Atb

So the fac air rifle option meets my needs due to the reasons raised. Mainly noise, locality of roads & pathways, and just those ricochets...As I am after rabbits its .25 I am set on. Pros & cons of 30lb vs 48lb?

Thing that interests me is a lot of the places I've shot over the years have been small farms, fisheries, golf courses and I sure that a 22lr would be unsuitable or a lot more care needed with back stops, plus if your hoping for some pigeon or squirrels wouldn't have thought a Rimfire would be suitable .

You can still reduce numbers with an air rifle but I used to shoot summer and ferret winter

So the fac air rifle option meets my needs due to the reasons raised. Mainly noise, locality of roads & pathways, and just those ricochets...As I am after rabbits its .25 I am set on. Pros & cons of 30lb vs 48lb?

The 48ft lbs of the .25 is not required, nor desirable for my needs. I have a 22lr if I need that kind of power.

As has been mentioned, the .22 option is still useful enough at decent range, but not too powerful that it restricts the user to just 22lr type applications. IE into trees, in and around barns and in enclosed area's.

The other consideration is that I have never found any reduced power 22lr round that could hit the proverbial barn door, so air it has to be.

Well the pellet of choice is jsb kings at 25 grains.

To get the best trajectory and accuracy from any pellet 900 fps tops is beat in fac air .so thats about 45 fpe .30 fpe would be way too slow and negate the trajectory advantage .

You could use lighter h+n ftt s at 19 grns but these arent that great long range .so your left with kinga at 45 fpe

Hi dc177

No worries .thats a good question.

Second im an airgun nut and love to see what they can do .

My buddy has .22 lr .17 hmr and above and i see what they can do and what they offer .

For our perms at least the 17 hmr is too loud (horses people etc )

And in summer when the ground is hard the .22 lr with its bouncing bullets is a problem waiting to happen .the relatively fragile diabolo pellets shed energy fast and deform quickly making for a safer projectile

Best post here so far imho :good:

We have or had .223/.17hmr/.22lr/22 fac/.177 12flb pcp

.17HMR bit noisy but fantasic calibre

.22lr dangerous round bouncing everywhere and only use in winter when ground is soft.

.22 fac AA 510 brilliant out to .22lr range and our favoured rabbit tool,no noise and we think more lethal than .22lr as the pellet deforms more on impact,our rifle of choice for rabbit control.

.177 12flb head shot for gardens.

• 2 weeks later...