Late drilling of peas.

JDog

On Saturday the large field opposite my house was drilled with peas and today in spitting rain another field a mile away was drilled with the same crop. There is little spillage on both fields so the pigeon interest will have to come later.

This to my mind is pretty late in the season but when the contractor has 3,000 acres of peas I suppose that harvesting times have to be set so that the combines can get round it all.

The start of the vining season is typically the week of Lincs show. The season is normally 8 weeks and on a hot day the peas can ripen so fast that they spoil within 4 hours. Its a fine line so drilling dates and varieties are used and staggered accordingly.

Our peas were drilled yesterday and this morning. I am quietly optamistic for some sport on these fields in the coming weeks. Germination will be quick so i will watch them closely.

Don't get too excited. There is nothing worse than pigeons to disappoint. Besides they will all be on Wilksy's spring rape.

Don't get too excited. There is nothing worse than pigeons to disappoint. Besides they will all be on Wilksy's spring rape.

I reckon you might be right! Wilksy gets all the luck! The only small bit of spring rape i have access too is really struggling to grow from the dry conditions, this bit of rain should help it hopefully.

I reckon you might be right! Wilksy gets all the luck! The only small bit of spring rape i have access too is really struggling to grow from the dry conditions, this bit of rain should help it hopefully.

East yorks pw intel says there's good numbers on three bean fields at weel but they're not decoying

I wish they'd start growing spring rape round here again, haven't had any to shoot over for years....had one of my best days over a small patch drilled where winter rape has failed.

Waiting in anticipation for the big day report from Wilsky!!