. 22 rimfire rifle

Wasabi

So I'm in the market for a. 22 for rabbit shooting. I've handled a few different models in the shop. Are Anschutz and Sako worth the extra over a CZ?

For me, no.

But, I literally use my rifles like a tool on the farm, it'd upset me to put a beautiful rifle through what I do my synthetic cz's.

From a quality perspective, absolutely, it's obvious, they are better engineered.

Thats not to say from shooting in rubbish weather, out of a 4x4 they'll be more accurate, on a bench they will.

Depends what you want or need.

I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Annie in .22 and a CZ in hmr all shoot better than I do. In my opinion there is not a great deal between the Annie and CZ accuracy or quality but the one I shoot the most is the Ruger it has had a bit of custom work shoots as well as the others but as an out and out rabbit gun it ticks more boxes for me.

The only quality issue with CZ's is that the trigger guard on the rim fires is awful, change that and it change's the whole outlook of the gun.

The trigger it's self is a Marmite one, love it or hate it but for £15.00 and 20 minutes workshop time you can transform it into the sweetest thing going.

You may have guessed I like CZ's, have .17 HMR in 16" and .22 LR in 14", both with trigger kit and guard changed plus SAK moderator's, both are American 452's.

The HMR will shoot anything I put in it and keep it's accuracy, the LR is the fussy one and has a diet of 42gr Winchester's, if either of them miss the intended target you can guess where the error has come from.

Some of the other gun's mentioned may look more pleasing to the eye but the cost effectiveness will not alter when shooting out in the rain and snow.

The only quality issue with CZ's is that the trigger guard on the rim fires is awful, change that and it change's the whole outlook of the gun.

The trigger it's self is a Marmite one, love it or hate it but for £15.00 and 20 minutes workshop time you can transform it into the sweetest thing going.

You may have guessed I like CZ's, have .17 HMR in 16" and .22 LR in 14", both with trigger kit and guard changed plus SAK moderator's, both are American 452's.

The HMR will shoot anything I put in it and keep it's accuracy, the LR is the fussy one and has a diet of 42gr Winchester's, if either of them miss the intended target you can guess where the error has come from.

Some of the other gun's mentioned may look more pleasing to the eye but the cost effectiveness will not alter when shooting out in the rain and snow.

hello, interesting on the cz trigger guard, what guard did you change it for and why is it better ? the safety catch is not the most constructive to use but i can live with that, for the £300 i paid it will last many years,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, interesting on the cz trigger guard, what guard did you change it for and why is it better ? the safety catch is not the most constructive to use but i can live with that, for the £300 i paid it will last many years,

The guard on the .22 came off the bay from Edger Bro's about £25 if I recall.

The .17 is a copy of that m/c by a mate of mine.

Lot of people advertise .17 ones but they just don't come up with the goods.

Changed it just for the look, wood and barrel assy very good, trigger guard naff.

Safety catch and bolt have both been lapped/hand finished and are as slick as a slick thing now so there is no noise when using either.

So I'm in the market for a. 22 for rabbit shooting. I've handled a few different models in the shop. Are Anschutz and Sako worth the extra over a CZ?

While waiting for my hunting licence to come through I acted as a picker - up (a dog would have been good) for the local forest master in Germany. Having seen what he could do with his Anschutz, I was sold on them from the off. I now have the LR and the HMR. There's something very useful in being able to easily adjust both the superb two stage triggers to an identical weight.

While waiting for my hunting licence to come through I acted as a picker - up (a dog would have been good) for the local forest master in Germany. Having seen what he could do with his Anschutz, I was sold on them from the off. I now have the LR and the HMR. There's something very useful in being able to easily adjust both the superb two stage triggers to an identical weight.

And they too are only let down by the trigger guard, looks like CZ made a job lot and sold them on.

A very, very nice rifle in all other regards.

Changed it just for the look, wood and barrel assy very good, trigger guard naff.

Safety catch and bolt have both been lapped/hand finished and are as slick as a slick thing now so there is no noise when using either.

hello, i have changed the trigger spring on my 455, my limit i think !!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I've got cz and anschutz, there's no doubt that the anschutz is superior but the cz does what it needs to do. It depends what you want. To me the anschutz is worth the extra investment, it's nicer to use and better finished, but at the end of the day, they're both good capable dependable guns. You pay your money and you take your choice, and the choice is yours.

What exactly did you do to make your action slick? My 455 bolt is very clunky to work

What exactly did you do to make your action slick? My 455 bolt is very clunky to work

I would also be interested to know for my 452.

Honing the contact sufaces of the safety mechanism helped that a lot, operating it was a two hand job before.

Lot of CZs (in fact most) shoot better than most shooters.

David.

Certainly my experience :yes: CZ 452 or better still the 455, which I have would be my choice and spend the extra on ammo.

The bolt on my rifle is seriously smooth, can't fault it.

Edited by Walker570

Certainly my experience :yes: CZ 452 or better still the 455, which I have would be my choice and spend the extra on ammo.

The bolt on my rifle is seriously smooth, can't fault it.

I have a cz 455 t/h hmr , and a 455 .22 rf swopped both springs , both do the job, and I'm happy with them.