Raw meat

Cosd

My dog is now 4 and he has been on CSJ since he was a pup. He's healthy and has loads of energy but since having the snip some 2+ years ago, he's become very greedy, always wanting food.

With four people in the house and little tit bits, he put on some weight and I put him on a diet meaning he only gets a rare treat and just his food. He's lost weight and you can just see his ribs, but I still feel he looks a little bloated on the stomach, so I've been been doing some reading around raw vs dry and there's a fair bit around how dry food can bloat some dogs; So I'm toying with introducing some raw food.

Does anyone else feed part dry part raw, or even all raw? Any recommendations on where or what to buy?

http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/pet-food/

Have a look at the link above. I use MVM meats for my lab, i buy mine through a local shop who buys in tons and marks up the prices by a few pence so it works out ok and helps a local co out.

I find raw feeding really easy... As long as you stick to the ratio of bone/meat/offal roughly give or take (70-80% meat, 10-20% bone 10% organ meat) you're dog will be fine.

I never struggle with my dogs weight, her teeth are immaculate (I give her whole rabbits, raw chicken wings or carcasses in the evening as the chewing of the bones helps clean teeth). I often get told what good shape she's in and her furs lovely too.

The MVM range is simple and pre minced (lots of similar suppliers out there), and make feeding like this easy.

I keep a months worth in my chest freezer, thaw out a few tubes at a time in the fridge - simples.

If you would like a spreadsheet that works out raw feeding amounts etc... PM me your email address and I'll send it to you :-)

I bought raw dog food, a very American book but good.

We feed biscuit in the morning and raw in the afternoons. I read some time ago that if you feed biscuit and meat together it can cause bloating and health issues along with bad wind and stools.

We stopped feeding our older dog mixed and he improved loads, then with raw better again coat teeth stools.

We now feed our young dog 14 months old biscuit in the morning because its easy for the wife and raw in the afternoons mix of chicken carcass and minced, you need a freezer and fridge but the dog looks great loads of energy.

My dog is now 4 and he has been on CSJ since he was a pup. He's healthy and has loads of energy but since having the snip some 2+ years ago, he's become very greedy, always wanting food.

With four people in the house and little tit bits, he put on some weight and I put him on a diet meaning he only gets a rare treat and just his food. He's lost weight and you can just see his ribs, but I still feel he looks a little bloated on the stomach, so I've been been doing some reading around raw vs dry and there's a fair bit around how dry food can bloat some dogs; So I'm toying with introducing some raw food.

Does anyone else feed part dry part raw, or even all raw? Any recommendations on where or what to buy?

Is he on CP21?

I feed my springer on that adlib plus pork shank (demeated for soup) every week and he does well on it.

It just might be his stomach shape, unless he is showing no signs of winding/farting constantly, he might well be fine or it might be (depending on stool and hunger) he isn't getting enough protein/fat and a step up to CP24 or Cp30 might be worth a try.

My mutts are on raw, iv fed this stuff for last 15 years, used to keep lurchers that were ran very hard, and now have labs, all are in great condition, don't drink gallons of water a day, and there is hardly any mess to clean up,(unlike dry food) .. Coats and teeth always gleaming

Mine are on Millie's Wolfheart with a raw bone or raw chicken wings as treats. I did go over to completely raw but and was fine after until one of my dogs had the worst case of the runs I have ever seen even up the walls. The vet put the runs down to something she had eaten, I put two and two together and came up with five and blamed her food which it might or might not of been.

Is he on CP21?

I feed my springer on that adlib plus pork shank (demeated for soup) every week and he does well on it.

It just might be his stomach shape, unless he is showing no signs of winding/farting constantly, he might well be fine or it might be (depending on stool and hunger) he isn't getting enough protein/fat and a step up to CP24 or Cp30 might be worth a try.

He's on Lamb and Rice WGF

He farts for fun!!

He's on Lamb and Rice WGF

He farts for fun!!

It may be the lamb, when I had my previous dog I tried him on the CSJ lamb & rice (as they had no salmon in stock at local supplier) and his guts let go in a most odourist way, once I switched back to salmon CP21, never looked back.

What local shop do you get that from please C.?

http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk/pet-food/

Have a look at the link above. I use MVM meats for my lab, i buy mine through a local shop who buys in tons and marks up the prices by a few pence so it works out ok and helps a local co out.
I find raw feeding really easy... As long as you stick to the ratio of bone/meat/offal roughly give or take (70-80% meat, 10-20% bone 10% organ meat) you're dog will be fine.
I never struggle with my dogs weight, her teeth are immaculate (I give her whole rabbits, raw chicken wings or carcasses in the evening as the chewing of the bones helps clean teeth). I often get told what good shape she's in and her furs lovely too.

The MVM range is simple and pre minced (lots of similar suppliers out there), and make feeding like this easy.
I keep a months worth in my chest freezer, thaw out a few tubes at a time in the fridge - simples.

If you would like a spreadsheet that works out raw feeding amounts etc... PM me your email address and I'll send it to you :-)

If you consider the fact that dogs cannot digest grain of any type! That is why they can have bloated-looking stomachs, produce gas and loads of poo. It slows their digestive tract down so much in an effort to get some goodness out of dry food.

I know dogs are considered to be omnivores by many, including TV vets!! but they are, in fact, carnivores and the ratio of raw meat etc as already quoted is absolutely correct.

There are several firms who produce and deliver raw, frozen dog food. Just google 'raw food suppliers', you are bound to find one who delivers in your area.

Feeding raw you will see a difference in the dogs energy levels, look healthier and will produce less mess which does not smell as much and is firmer(except on offal days). It also works out cheaper I you can buy in bulk. We have six dogs on it at the mo and with a dedicated chest freezer it's really easy to manage.

Try it, you won't look back!

GH

My lurcher has raw minced beef or chicken for his dinner, with tomatoes, bread and whatever veg we have left over. We give him a cup of dry food for his breakfast, just for the crunch really and a good supply of bones to chew on.

I feed raw only, slowly introduce it, work out what you will be doing wether you do it all yourself like I do (weighing food out with correct amounts of offal and what not) or wether you will be buying it 'premixed'. Nicer coat, better health and you can add bits in to suit yourself and the dog. Mine gets chicken, duck, venison, beef and tripe with Turkey and pheasant every now and then when I come across it. If you or your Mrs is on Facebook check out rawfeeding rebels, they're always happy to answer and questions. Variety and the the correct amounts will do wonders 🖒

We used to feed a 100% raw diet, we've only changed due to our working habits and keeping enough raw in stock for 7 dogs, two cats and 3 ferrets takes up alot of space!

On a quality dry food now with some raw food, tripe and chicken carcasses mainly.

On the raw, dogs are in excellent condition, coats are lovely, less mess, don't drink so much water. Any one who has seen my lab will know he's not short of energy on it! ( Although he gets fed nearly 3 times what he should really need just to keep weight on him! )

If he's a proportionate size with a waist and you can feel his ribs...and he's healthy on CSJ...I dont really see a problem.

You have controlled his calorie intake and he has lost weight.

There's nowt wrong with having a bit of a 'kite' (but I would say that!)

Does he eat fast? If so you could try him with a puzzle feeder to slow him down.

You dont say which CSJ you feed. Have you tried the lower calorie food so he can eat a bit more to satisfy his hunger?

Porky Pooch

CP18

Herbie Nuts

Not all dried food has grains in.

Millie's Wolfheart has no gluten, grain, rice, eggs or beet pulp.

Their Gamekeeper food is 60% Salmon, Venison, Trout and Rabbit. 40% veg, fruit, herbs and botanicals.

I can't be bothered with raw all the time, but the above with a raw bone and a raw chicken wing or three a week and mine are great on it.

Might give that a go rimfire sounds good, just got a bag of duck and rice skinners tho so will be a while, I definitely prefer feeding this way, my old dog used to get two scoops of biscuits with tinned meat, was ok for years but the improvement when we went to just biscuit and raw was well worth the effort of freezing some chicken and bones

If he's a proportionate size with a waist and you can feel his ribs...and he's healthy on CSJ...I dont really see a problem.

You have controlled his calorie intake and he has lost weight.

There's nowt wrong with having a bit of a 'kite' (but I would say that!)

Does he eat fast? If so you could try him with a puzzle feeder to slow him down.

You dont say which CSJ you feed. Have you tried the lower calorie food so he can eat a bit more to satisfy his hunger?

Porky Pooch

CP18

Herbie Nuts

Mentioned already, he's on Lamb and Rice WGF, and he actually went onto this after initially gaining weight post the snip, that was on the back of recommendation by the CSJ nutritionist.

I wouldn't say he eats particularly fast. We know when he's actually hungry because he will scratch at the food bin, but to be fair that isn't always and is usually around the time when he is due a feed; But he is greedy and when anyone is eating anything he is there, if there are biscuits on the coffee table, he will sit and stare until we move them away. If we open the fridge or a kitchen cupboard he can hear that from 200 miles away and charges towards..... I feel bad for him.

Apart from I'd like him to lose the stomach a touch, I can't tell if he's actually hungry or simply greedy.

Mentioned already, he's on Lamb and Rice WGF, and he actually went onto this after initially gaining weight post the snip, that was on the back of recommendation by the CSJ nutritionist.

I wouldn't say he eats particularly fast. We know when he's actually hungry because he will scratch at the food bin, but to be fair that isn't always and is usually around the time when he is due a feed; But he is greedy and when anyone is eating anything he is there, if there are biscuits on the coffee table, he will sit and stare until we move them away. If we open the fridge or a kitchen cupboard he can hear that from 200 miles away and charges towards..... I feel bad for him.

Apart from I'd like him to lose the stomach a touch, I can't tell if he's actually hungry or simply greedy.

I think that makes him a pretty normal dog :lol: