Shotgun Refurb - Blue the Barrels, Fix the Action, Repair the Stock

Castle

Lovely job! @castle, where did you buy the screwdrivers? I was pondering making a set using cheap screwdrivers, removing the hardening, grinding + re-hardening...

Also, why did you remove the checkering, was it too worn?

The barrels blacking process sounds fascinating tho, however most of the pics don't work in the forum post ! Would you fix that, it's very interesting!

I bought the Pachmyer gunsmith screwdriver set from amazon. £19 I think. Cheap enough that you should probably only make your own set for enjoyment/satisfaction rather than as a money saving exercise.

Professional 31 Piece Gunsmith Screwdriver Set https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000JWH23W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Pwtjzb20GXXQY

I had to remove the checkering from the butt because I needed a flat surface on which to mount the butt pad. As it was there were rounded edges that would have looked terrible.

Sorry you can't see all the pictures. They are showing up fine for me so I don't know what I can do. Is anyone else having the same problem?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks @castle, ordered the set. Oh and the pictures now show properly, go figure.

Don't you lose a lot of metal from the bores themselves, as technically they are also rusting?

Fascinating process, I did quite a few electrolysis rust removal before, I wonder if it would work the other way as well (adding rust). I think the 'solution' is very likely just an ionisation solution that enhances the bonding of oxygen to the metal bits...

Buze,

Good stuff.

Feltwad is in favour of plugging the barrels and I would never contradict him because if he does it, I am sure it is for good reason. However someone else told me not to do this because a) when boiling the barrels, the increased air pressure can cause the plugs to pop out, spraying boiling water everywhere and b) if you do get water behind the plug and it takes you a week to do it all then you have wet barrels for all that time.

I chose to not plug mine. I only applied the blueing solution to the parts I wanted to rust and even over the bath the rust didn't really form inside the bores. I used a clean, de-greased bore brush before boiling to keep them shiny. I then pulled the barrels out of the water while they were still hot so they dried quickly. With these simple precautions I really didn't have any trouble with rust in the bores at all.

My only concern was when sanding the outside of the barrels to remove the existing tarnish.rust etc. I tried to be as conservative as possible but I was still taking metal away from the most critical area of the gun so it was nerve wracking.

Many thanks for taking the time to post a most enjoyable and interesting read.

I admire your commitment and determination to overcome some of the problems that you encountered along the way and the fact that you came up with your own practical solutions.

A most inspirational and well documented account.

Thanks for sharing.

OB

Buze,

Good stuff.

Feltwad is in favour of plugging the barrels and I would never contradict him because if he does it, I am sure it is for good reason. However someone else told me not to do this because a) when boiling the barrels, the increased air pressure can cause the plugs to pop out, spraying boiling water everywhere and b) if you do get water behind the plug and it takes you a week to do it all then you have wet barrels for all that time.

I chose to not plug mine. I only applied the blueing solution to the parts I wanted to rust and even over the bath the rust didn't really form inside the bores. I used a clean, de-greased bore brush before boiling to keep them shiny. I then pulled the barrels out of the water while they were still hot so they dried quickly. With these simple precautions I really didn't have any trouble with rust in the bores at all.

My only concern was when sanding the outside of the barrels to remove the existing tarnish.rust etc. I tried to be as conservative as possible but I was still taking metal away from the most critical area of the gun so it was nerve wracking.

I have always plugged the barrels mainly to avoid any of the solution from entering the bore and also long plugs in the muzzle give you better handling has you should never touch the barrel when in the progress of blacking

Feltwad

I have always plugged the barrels mainly to avoid any of the solution from entering the bore and also long plugs in the muzzle give you better handling has you should never touch the barrel when in the progress of blacking

Feltwad

I always use plugs for any barrel work like this.

Well there you go - plug your barrels!

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

JDsniper, wisdom,

I can only apologise.  Turns out that PhotoBucket, which I have hotlinked my photos from for a long time, has suddenly decided they want $399 dollars to allow me to continue.  Without notice, they broke all the links I have ever posted.  I have no right to anything for free and it is their business to run as they want, but I still think they have acted like ars*h*les.  I recommend everyone steer clear of them.

I will try to move the pictures and re-share the links because I want people to be able to use them for reference, like I was able to do with so many other people's posts.