Having a thumbhole stock made - any recommendations?

louisvanhovell

I've got a beautiful Heym SR20 stutzen .308 which I will use for wild boar hunting in Germany.

I'd like to have a thumbhole stock for it.

Any recommendations for stock makers, preferably in Devon or not too far from Devon?

Many thanks, Louis

I've also asked this on the Stalking Directory, with some interesting tips as a result.

Firstly, apparently Boyds do a stock for my Heym. It's just not on their website. That would be the cheapest option, but I'm no great fan of laminate stocks.

The best option seems to be this: http://schaftwerk.de

A German man who apparently does a very very good job for a lower than expected price.

I've emailed him.

Cheers, Louis

post-60018-0-69490600-1495087132_thumb.png

Hi

Hope you get sorted

Not wanting to be negative here

But

Thumbhole stocks can be a bit of a pain when you're having to put the safety catch off and on also if you're working the bolt a bit rapidly for the second shot

Think cold snow gloved hands ?

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Hello Old farrier,

Thank you for your comment. No, quite the contrary, this is the feedback/advice that is most useful. You are right about that. Yesterday I shot with a .17 HMR with a thumbhole stock and a .22 with a normal stock and I experienced exactly what you wrote: a bit more difficult to handle the bolt and the safety catch. With my air rifles I find this less of a problem some way or another. But I'll give it some more consideration. Many thanks, Louis

• 1 year later...

I have two stocks for my Blaser R8, one standard sporter and one thumbhole, from Alan Hadjio of schaftwerke.de and am pleased with not only the stock but the price and delivery time. I can't find the thumbhole stock but attached is my sporter

My R8 Stock.JPG

Edited by EMcC

6 hours ago, EMcC said:

I have two stocks for my Blaser R8, one standard sporter and one thumbhole, from Alan Hadjio of schaftwerke.de and am pleased with not only the stock but the price and delivery time. I can't find the thumbhole stock but attached is my sporter

My R8 Stock.JPG

Eddie come on pops,, this is over 18 months old lol. 

Hope your keeping well,. 

The photo is two years old too ;-) 

Only managed one trip to Croatia this season, had a week booked for November and December but spent a week in hospital in November instead - heart attack :-(so missed that one and not fit enough for the December one. Thank goodness I didn't pay for the January Hungary trip too early as still not fit and have been told to take it easy for a year :-(