Young guns!

It's been sort of bugging me for a while, and I may be called a sexist for my opinion but, whilst I think it's great to be getting more people shooting, regardless of sex, I think the youngsters are getting left out lately!

Ladies shooting has been getting loads of press in the past year or 2 with some great organisations starting and growing, manufacturers are getting behind them and they seem to be doing well. Yet I don't see anywhere near as much help being given to the younger generation who are starting off.

I may well be wrong, but on twitter and Facebook, ladies shooting groups are really well promoted, by themselves and by the manufacturers who sponsor them, yet I very rarely see much in the way of promotion of young shooters? I've seen BASC doing some things to bring them on but not much else.

I suppose I'm worries that the ladies shooting is a sort of "fashionable thing to do" at the minute, whilst it's great if some carry on for many years, I wonder if the enthusiasm could be better used to bring on younger shooters who could go on to shoot in the Olympics and at world level.

I'm sure there are women who have got into the sport recently who will go on to shoot at international level (Hannah Gibson) but some seem more interested in the tweed hats than the shooting! A friend went on a ladies day, said it was well run, everyone got lovely goody bags and plenty of prosecco but she said the standard of shooting was far lower than she expected after seeing all the promo for the event.

I suppose time will tell, and I'll be more than happy to see a podium full of British ladies at any Olympic or international event but I wonder where the next generation of shooters will come from!

Many of the groups that you describe consist in the main of ladies who have time and a disposable income. They've done 'lunch', got bored with it, and are looking at an alternative means off disposing of said income. The marketing boys, never slow to see an opening, have twigged and off we go. How long it'll last until they get bored here as well and move on to pastures new is anybody's guess. Sadly, there's not a lot of profit to be made from an inner city 12 year old lad who'd love to have a go - very little opportunity either.

Either way it brings more shooters in to the sport, and if they have plenty of disposable income so much the better!

Most of us support one youngster, our own one.

Fair comment. But I got the impression that the OP was concerned about the future. Those I've described are only concerned about the present. Not all of us who shoot have offspring that are interested which would mean we're a dying breed if we do not look outside of our circle for fresh talent/interest.

I feel that BASC are putting effort into young guns, ive even spoken to my area about doing a young shoots day on a small shoot im hoping to get set up with a friend this year, did a test season last season and are putting more in to.it this year.

Its all well and good sat at a phone or keyboard, saying how women are getting publicity etc but its all our responsibility to get younger people introduced and interested in the sport. Chelsea bun club have put alot of effort in off their own backs to get women into the sport. The femme fatals also have done. Maybe we should all be spreading the word to the younger generation. Not just expecting others to do it.

Well thats my two pence worth..

Edited by ShootingEgg

Completely agree about it being down to all of us to do it, but as someone has said, they've got the time to do it! At 36 with a 5 year old and my own business I barely get time to shoot let alone sort something else for the youngsters.

My point was aimed more at the future, resources are being used, time, money and effort in supporting women, who may or may not take it up as a hobby. I'd like to see more done for the future.

Not exactly the same but it happened with Speedway in the uk, (motorbikes going round a small oval with no brakes at 70 mph!) The top league was full of foreigners and hardly any Brits, a starter league was formed where you have to hold a British passport to race, 3 years on the worst 2 riders (based on the averages) in the top teams have to come from that league. Gives them experience against world class riders and brings them on. Fast forward to now, there's more Brits than ever coming through the ranks, took a few years but it's worked!

Maybe the CPSA could do something with a nationals series, maybe an A or higher shooter paired with a C class shooter, a bit like the pro am golf competitions? Average score between the 2, the higher classed shooter helping the lower classed shooter?

Maybe an A or higher with an under 16 shooter in a Comp!

Something like that I'd gladly sponsor a stand!

BASC are covering a number of events this year with the Scouts and the Guides, is off the back of the very Scout jamboree where we delivered 5,817 lessons in one week.

The good or perhaps better news is that we have seen a lot of last years first timers appear at Game Fairs for another go.

I am not sure how many events we have this year but I would guess at 4-6, July 1st Girl Guides at Chigwell Row.

The Central region of BASC through Simon Reinhold offer free lessons for under 16 year old, and Gareth Docherty in the northern region has lots going on for youngsters including driven days.

One of my points when I put my self forward to be elected to BASC Council (fingers crossed for success) was to promote getting the young into the sport we all enjoy.

At this point I can unashamedly ask for your vote if you are a BASC member and help the cause, if you are in Wales please vote for Kalahari, David will be a great asset Fingers crossed for David as well.

Terry

Completely agree about it being down to all of us to do it, but as someone has said, they've got the time to do it! At 36 with a 5 year old and my own business I barely get time to shoot let alone sort something else for the youngsters.

My point was aimed more at the future, resources are being used, time, money and effort in supporting women, who may or may not take it up as a hobby. I'd like to see more done for the future.

Not exactly the same but it happened with Speedway in the uk, (motorbikes going round a small oval with no brakes at 70 mph!) The top league was full of foreigners and hardly any Brits, a starter league was formed where you have to hold a British passport to race, 3 years on the worst 2 riders (based on the averages) in the top teams have to come from that league. Gives them experience against world class riders and brings them on. Fast forward to now, there's more Brits than ever coming through the ranks, took a few years but it's worked!

Maybe the CPSA could do something with a nationals series, maybe an A or higher shooter paired with a C class shooter, a bit like the pro am golf competitions? Average score between the 2, the higher classed shooter helping the lower classed shooter?

Maybe an A or higher with an under 16 shooter in a Comp!

Something like that I'd gladly sponsor a stand!

Via the Physical Education programme at School a GCSE can be taken in Clay Pigeon Shooting :good: this part of the Physical Education Choice and if I am correct can be one of 4 outside activities chosen for this subject.

Via the Physical Education programme at School a GCSE can be taken in Clay Pigeon Shooting :good: this part of the Physical Education Choice and if I am correct can be one of 4 outside activities chosen for this subject.

I did clay pigeon shooting for my GCSE PE. I was the first person to have chosen it! Fortunately i also got full marks.