Getting oil out of wood

Mackenzie

This

One of my s/s must of been over oiled buy the previous owner because oil seeps out of it just behind the action on hot days and it is slightly darker in colour than the rest of the stock.

Is there anyway I can coax the oil out of the wood?

This is common I always after cleaning put the gun in the cabinet barrels down.

Feltwad

This works, an old fashioned bread poultice, bread, boiling water, in a cloth squeeze excess water out wrap around oiled wood when it is as hot as you can stand, leave to cool & see how the oil has been drawn out, repeat ;til clear, if really heavy use a car body filler paste, that really sucks it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been leaving my stock out in the sun then wiping off the oil with kitchen roll dripping with acetone. On day one the oil was puddling on the surface around the hand and you could trace it down the grain to the butt. I'm wiping the stock 6 or 7 times a day and on day 4 it's slowing down and were getting some colour back in the wood.

I don't have a hot air gun and I'm too tight to buy one, besides it's hot enough just now.

Edited by Mr.C

I have had great success in removing old oil from a hammer gun stock by wrapping it in toilet paper and heating with a hair drier . Care must be taken to avoid overhearing as this will often cause the stock to distort .Beware of using solvents and in particular anything containing acids as these will remain in the wood and corrode any metal in contact with it.

Oxalic acid has worked for me in the past, It comes in crystal form, Mix with warm wather then bath the stock in it :good:

John :)

Be very, very careful with this stuff. Gloves and face-mask. If you suffer from any form of kidney disease leave well alone.

I'm confused :hmm: are we not advised to oil the wood regularly to keep it from cracking???

The mineral oils will slowly dissolve the cellulose (and lignin the stuff that "glues" all the cellulose fibres together) in the wood. Walnut oil is available pretty much everywhere nowdays.