Getting oil out of wood

Mackenzie

• 3 months later...

Ive just ordered some Walnut Oil off Amazon…..

Bumpity bump.

So as part of my cleaning regime - before the guns go into the cabinet I open my two tins: one contains a chamois soaked in gun oil (for a final wipe of external metal) and the other a chamois soaked in walnut oil (from M&S) for the wood - both tins are in the cupboard under the sink. I haven't been out for a "while" (about a year) and when I opened the "walnut" tin the chamois was solid and looked like it had been dipped in varnish. I opened it up and saw that it was quite "plastic" (ie it didn't crack or flake off) and it was quite "glossy". I can only imagine that it's started to polymerise ( harden to some sort of varnish) - such as what happens to inseed oil.

Bumpity bump.

So as part of my cleaning regime - before the guns go into the cabinet I open my two tins: one contains a chamois soaked in gun oil (for a final wipe of external metal) and the other a chamois soaked in walnut oil (from M&S) for the wood - both tins are in the cupboard under the sink. I haven't been out for a "while" (about a year) and when I opened the "walnut" tin the chamois was solid and looked like it had been dipped in varnish. I opened it up and saw that it was quite "plastic" (ie it didn't crack or flake off) and it was quite "glossy". I can only imagine that it's started to polymerise ( harden to some sort of varnish) - such as what happens to inseed oil.

Walnut oil is a drying oil and will do no harm to your stock but like un refined linseed it drys or as you correctly say polymerizes very slowly, with a lot of oils a by product of this process is heat, and its not unheard of for rags soaked in drying oils to catch fire, keeping it in a tin probably would have prevented it from catching on fire due to a lack of oxygen if in the unlikely event it got hot enough to set fire, but it is something to look out for !

• 4 weeks later...

I just dug an old stock out of a cupboard where it had been standing butt pad up for the best part of a year. Now normally these things are consigned to the garage to appease the domestic management, but for some reason this stayed in the house, nice and warm and cosy. The stock was resting on a pad of kitchen paper which is now brown all over, and there's not a trace of oil in the wood, so an easier restoration for this old Remmy than I was expecting, Result!