Notice of intended prosecution - Speeding

Bobba

Does anyone know please whether Notices of intended prosecution for speeding must, by law, specify the actual speed you were doing at the time of the alleged offence or can the police issue a general description which states "Speeding - exceed 30 mph on restricted road - manned equipment"

I fully appreciate that well intended PW members may have opinions but what I am really interested in is the letter of the law - if, indeed, there is one. So a pointer in the right direction would be most helpful.

If a member has the answer but doesn't wish to say so on open forum then please PM me.

Many thanks

Straight answer no they don't need to mention the actual speed only the offence which they have done.

They are just notifying the registered keeper that they intend to prosecute and for the registered keeper to identify the driver.

Once you have identified the driver they will send you more information.

There are loopholes and defenses for an incorrect NIP though so do as grrclark says and head over to the pepipoo forum.