Bit of a problem with the drillings

tody27

Hi guys,

sorry about all these questions about spring drillings- i am sure you're all sick of hearing about them!

The field that has just been sown had a couple of thousand pigeons feeding on it yesterday. I went back today expectinging to see thousands and there were none! :unsure:

I dont know why this is- there are no other drilled fields yet i am sure the pigeons will be wanting to stop eating the bitter rape.

Does anybody have any idea why they werent feeding, and will they be feeding again?

- My idea was that they had eaten all the spilt, surface seeds; but surley they should be digging around to get the properly drilled seeds.

I had planned everything too a tee, noted down flightlines etc etc and was going to shoot it with a mate on Sunday.

thanx,

tody

They could have eaten all the seed that was loose and the ground was too hard to dig (it would have been here, with last nights frosts).

Alternatively, the wind could have been blowing across the field, making it uncomfortable for them, or there could be another drilling within 2 miles, they could have fed early/late, or a million other reasons that can make pigeon shooting so frustrating.

If birds have been on a field, but aren,t there when I arrive, I will often set up anyway.

Chances are that you will get some visit you. :unsure:

tody,

I can almost guarantee that the farmer had used one of the newer 'super-drills', these put the seed down to 6 to 8", and waste nothing.

The birds would have been feeding on the scraps that were spilt when they refilled the drill. Spring drillings up here are becoming a non-starter except on the 'poorer' farms who still use old fashioned drills. :unsure:

Deako

Going to have to take you to task on this one me ol tooty fruity !

What are these new "supa-drills " that sow seeds 6" to 8" down you talk off :lol:

When drilling combineable crops the seed is sown just below the surface of the soil .

We aim to drill Wheat/Barley at a depth of 1/2" to 1" and rape only just gets a covering of soil on top.

The new "supa drills" don't sow the seeds any deeper that before . They are just better at covering the seeds with soil .

Next time when you are in a freshly drilled field , get on your hands and knees and scrape away at the soil until you find the seeds .

all the best yis yp :unsure:

I am sure that your right YP, it just feels like the stuff is drilled a mile deep. I still look forward to spring drillings, but rarely get any action these days. The birds seem to quickly eat the bit that is spilt when filling the hopper, and then clear off elsewhere to do the same.

webber