Central Scotland shooting school.

Red-dot

Anyone tried their new sporting and compact sporting layouts up at Jawcraig yet?

Yes, fair to say the ground is a work in progress and it is far from the finished article, although I do think it will become a great addition to Scottish shooting.

The sporting layout has potential, but for me it is currently a bit too samey. The sportrap layouts for their recent 50 bird registered shoot were well received (being partly responsible for setting those targets i'm happy about that), but the permanent current setting will need to have constant modifications to stay fresh.

There is going to be a new location for sportrap in the midst of the sporting layout too.

Watch this space

Sporting layout currently has 12 stands and the concensus is that the target presentation is good. There are a few challenging targets mixed in with the usual more straight forward ones. The only criticism that I have is that there are too many going away targets. The sporting layout is set in and around woodland and makes for an enjoyable afternoon's shooting.

The sportrap has been well laid out and most targets emphasise speed and angles rather than distance. At present there are two sportrap layouts.

Price is 28 pence per clay for non members. Members pay a very reasonable 18 pence per clay.

Good selection of cartridges on sale.

Excellent clubhouse with simple catering on offer.

Well worth a visit despite stil under development.

• 4 weeks later...