Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller

Has anyone got one? I need to get a bullet puller and have read good things about these.

If anyone does have one do you know which collet I also need to get please?

Edit: Or is it just easier to buy a kinetic hammer?

Edited by Lloyd90

You have the Hornday one Steve? Yes mate for my 243 win :)

Indeed I have Lloyd, and it's excellent. If you are only doing the odd bullet, then the Kinetic hammer is probably better, but for varying amounts of bullets, then the cam lock bullet puller is better. You can remove bullets in seconds.

You will need a #3 collet for .243.

Steve. :good:

The 17's can be tenacious but the hammer does work... eventually!

It's a bit difficult when banging it on the banister but works great when I go into the garden and bang it against the railway sleepers that separate the grass from the patio 😂😂

You would be better hitting the hammer on a solid surface, such as concrete. Wood will absorb the 'shock wave' which is not what you want. A short sharp strike should remove or loosen the bullet.The hammer won't break, believe me. When I first used one back in the 1980's, I was afraid of it falling to bits. And don't be afraid to give it a good strike either.

I use the anvil on the back of the bench vise as a striking block, I don't hold back in giving it a good whack and the Frankford one I have has stood up to the abuse - although if I have a few to do I will use the Hornady cam-lock as it's kinder on the ears and quicker

I find metal the best with the hammer. A bit of 8mm mild steel plate works a treat. I also try and stop the hammer on the down stroke, but that probably makes no odds.

Pulled one this morning after 7 or 8 taps. Just be sure to neck size afterwards.

Uh oh, think I've got 3 in that I removed and have reseated.

I only have a full size die which also removes the primer so I didn't think to use it!

Is it a big problem?

Neck tension, especially in small calibres tends to be affected when you pull the bullet. You probably felt less resistance when reseating the bullet second time around.

Not a major issue, POI may shift a bit.

Ah phew, shouldn't be too much of a worry :)

Will try to remember for future use!

When I started reloading I was advised to buy a cam lock puller.

After trashing the first three bullets I ever pulled I bought a kinetic hammer.

Never lost a bullet or the powder using the hammer, and it is a lot less messing around than trying to get the cam lock jaws in just the right place.

I guess you live and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh, think I've got 3 in that I removed and have reseated.

I only have a full size die which also removes the primer so I didn't think to use it!

Is it a big problem?

No its not a problem at all, you wouldn't even have thought about it if somebody hadn't mentioned it. The top target shooters years ago used to pull military bullets out of military ammo and replace them with Matchkings. They never resized