kit carriers

Hello over the years I have slowly took less and less kit I found that pigeons are always in even numbers if you have 3 on the ground with in a few mins there be 4 or 6 so I only take 7 decoys if I take a bouncer then I put out 6 on the ground net wise sit still in the bushes or under a tree that works for me as well the seat one with a back but lightweight a flask of something cartridges 2 belts joined to make a 50 across the shoulder 25 in the bag and about 20 in my pockets 95 in all this time of year I take my 16 bore as round my way there not many about but in saying that I took 3 cradels with 3 decoys and came home with 9 + a jackdoor also theres no weight in the cartridges or gun unlike my 12 all this above fits into a fishing shoulder bag with the bouncer pole tied to the seat and carried on the shoulder as well if you want big bags you don't need big kit as you still got to carry your dead birds as well at a 1lb to 1 1/4 lb each is not much fun so sit down a give it some though what you need to take do I need all those poles why not tie string on the ends tie each end to the surrounding bushes so you might only need one pole for the middle all the battery operated equipment as well leave it at home and try the old way you might be find it works if pigeons want to come in they will all the gear in the world wont make them come to you I shot fields in the past when someone has have all the gear going round and round I put out my 5 or 7 and done better I carried bergans in the brecons so I don't want to do it in my old age sorry to you all about the spelling but school was a place to go in the 50s not to learn all the best to you all happy shooting

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello over the years I have slowly took less and less kit I found that pigeons are always in even numbers if you have 3 on the ground with in a few mins there be 4 or 6 so I only take 7 decoys if I take a bouncer then I put out 6 on the ground net wise sit still in the bushes or under a tree that works for me as well the seat one with a back but lightweight a flask of something cartridges 2 belts joined to make a 50 across the shoulder 25 in the bag and about 20 in my pockets 95 in all this time of year I take my 16 bore as round my way there not many about but in saying that I took 3 cradels with 3 decoys and came home with 9 + a jackdoor also theres no weight in the cartridges or gun unlike my 12 all this above fits into a fishing shoulder bag with the bouncer pole tied to the seat and carried on the shoulder as well if you want big bags you don't need big kit as you still got to carry your dead birds as well at a 1lb to 1 1/4 lb each is not much fun so sit down a give it some though what you need to take do I need all those poles why not tie string on the ends tie each end to the surrounding bushes so you might only need one pole for the middle all the battery operated equipment as well leave it at home and try the old way you might be find it works if pigeons want to come in they will all the gear in the world wont make them come to you I shot fields in the past when someone has have all the gear going round and round I put out my 5 or 7 and done better I carried bergans in the brecons so I don't want to do it in my old age sorry to you all about the spelling but school was a place to go in the 50s not to learn all the best to you all happy shooting

Not sure what you mean about even numbers of birds.

What if there are no bushes, trees or ditches? Are nets and poles a good idea, then?

Hello Motty if you watch pigeons feeding there is all ways add up to an even number so I was saying if you add a odd number of decoys you will get 1 come along to make it even again hope this helps and if there are no bushes trees or ditches then you going to stick out like a sore thumb because the birds arnt use to anything being there making yourself as small as possiable I shot geese laying nearly on my back with just a back support at about a 45 deg angle I not anti net just trying to lighten the load I dear say were you are its pretty flat in places and you do have areas that have none of the above you wrote about all I can say is try and make something that you can leave for a few days so at lease they might take no notice when you do go out all the best good shooting

Back on topic- for the first time I used a wheelbarrow for all my gear on Saturday. Its a fair walk to where I set up & the grass on the margins is about 3' tall now, the barrow was great 👍 a little bouncy on the way in so reduced the tyre pressure for the return journey and it was spot on, almost effortless- but that said I do push a barrow a fair bit Monday to Friday.

Hello Motty if you watch pigeons feeding there is all ways add up to an even number so I was saying if you add a odd number of decoys you will get 1 come along to make it even again hope this helps and if there are no bushes trees or ditches then you going to stick out like a sore thumb because the birds arnt use to anything being there making yourself as small as possiable I shot geese laying nearly on my back with just a back support at about a 45 deg angle I not anti net just trying to lighten the load I dear say were you are its pretty flat in places and you do have areas that have none of the above you wrote about all I can say is try and make something that you can leave for a few days so at lease they might take no notice when you do go out all the best good shooting

Has anyone told PC about this ?

He always uses 12 dead birds on cradles, so if he had either 11 or 13 , he'd shoot more than he already does.

What a revelationary piece of advice !

Cannot wait to double my bags.

OB

No, this doesn't help. I really don't know where this piece of advice comes from. It is bonkers!

By the way, I have also set up many, many times in the open, without any bushes/trees nearby. Pigeons don't need to get used to things. They also don't intimately know/remember their exact surroundings. If they did, I think they may get worried when a field gets harvested. They would probably wonder where the crop had gone and therefore shy away...... :rolleyes:

No, this doesn't help. I really don't know where this piece of advice comes from. It is bonkers!

By the way, I have also set up many, many times in the open, without any bushes/trees nearby. Pigeons don't need to get used to things. They also don't intimately know/remember their exact surroundings. If they did, I think they may get worried when a field gets harvested. They would probably wonder where the crop had gone and therefore shy away...... :rolleyes:

Motty,

If Gooseman really does believe about odd and even numbers then so be it. It is all about confidence in the field and so if it makes him happy let him continue to believe it.

However, I agree, it's a load of old tosh.

OB

If I could justify the cost, 'Wheeleez' carts are amazing. They use huge tyres on very low pressure so do not tend to sink into mud or soft sand and you can buy the wheels on their own but still very pricey.

I think a s/h quad might be slightly cheaper though :whistling:

Phil

Edited by philpotttt

Some good ideas flying around. Now though I have a different train of thought. We've just got a new dog; a labby cross (cross with what we don't know) and I'm thinking of creating a retrieving husky. That way she'll be able to tow my cart load of gear to and from the hide and pick up the shot birds, Woohoo! How hard can it be :lol: Mush. Mush

4E001330-E064-43A5-B7BC-19B9E36E1972_zps

Not having vehicle access is a pain, but I either use a fowling decoy bag, or barrow. Above is a bag of 70 taken last week off some peas at tea time.

Historically, during that flight, and my expectations for the future are that odd or even makes zero difference to how birds decoy. One of the maddest things I have ever seen on here!

I had a pair of golf trolley wheels with bearings and turned an axle to fit. I then welded 1 inch square section frame the size of a plastic bread tray(which I happened to have) and put a handle on the front which can be removed for stowage in my Landie. I can have this out of the Landie and loaded with pop up blind, two rifles or my shotgun, ammunition, coffee(most important),sandwiches, etc etc.,and be on my way across pretty lumpy ground with relative ease, all in one move, where I would normally have to make two trips.

Cost ? 1 welding rod. All the rest was stuff other folks were throwing out and I harvested :-)

A pop up like the Bush Wear one I have for squirrel/rabbit and deer control is superb. I can up and move within a minute. I agree with you if there are hedges or natural cover you can use, that is best if you intend staying put. I remember back in the early fifties, my grandfather would build me a totally enclosed hide shot distance from a known sitty tree. Just a 12 inch square hole to poke the 12 gauge through and a carved hand painted wooden pigeon decoy on a nut stick out in the field. Never shot flying pigeons back then, always sitters for the pot.

Edited by Walker570

I recently saw an advert for a powered wheelbarrow on , The Book of Face . That may be an option in the future depending on price.

Power barrows have been around since the 80's, the older ones had two wheels, could easily be hidden in a small hedge/bush they also had a diff lock lever for crossing rough ground - blinding tools but alas H&S said they were dangerous... todays modern SAFE versions have four wheels and are ******* HUGE in comparison. You've gotta remember - its gotta fit in the motor in the morning to be practical.

...Historically, during that flight, and my expectations for the future are that odd or even makes zero difference to how birds decoy. One of the maddest things I have ever seen on here!

Gooseman, your logic simply doesn't stand up. Are you telling me that pigeons count their mates on the floor before joining them? It's ridiculous!!

I do remember when I first studied "dyscalculia" that we started looking at the psychology/physiology of "counting". An awful lot of work has been done on birds with lots of observations from twitchers that if some birds see two people enter a hide they change their behaviour as they're alarmed until they see someone leave the hide. They also need to know how many eggs they've got in their nest and how many predators they've seen encroach on the territory. Most birds' counting systems are based on [APOLOGIES] "Red Indian Counting" [/APOLOGIES] - I think most work has been done on corvids:

"One, two, many..."

Marsh warblers can count up to three (their normal clutch) as they notice if a cuckoo doesn't throw out exactly one egg before laying its own.

Edited by DrBlox

Power barrows have been around since the 80's, the older ones had two wheels, could easily be hidden in a small hedge/bush they also had a diff lock lever for crossing rough ground - blinding tools but alas H&S said they were dangerous... todays modern SAFE versions have four wheels and are ******* HUGE in comparison. You've gotta remember - its gotta fit in the motor in the morning to be practical.

Thanks for finding that.