kit carriers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, just to note on the subject of a shooting bag, as you know we have a member by the name of Mel whos wife Lin is a master of craft making many bespoke shooting kit from canvas and leather, well Lin is in the process of making me a special pigeon shooting bag from my details above, i am hoping when finished Mel will pop on here a photo before posting to me. cheers,

hello, just to say i received my new special pigeon shooters bag today made by Lin and a fine well made bag it is, thanks Lin

I do remember when I first studied "dyscalculia" that we started looking at the psychology/physiology of "counting". An awful lot of work has been done on birds with lots of observations from twitchers that if some birds see two people enter a hide they change their behaviour as they're alarmed until they see someone leave the hide. They also need to know how many eggs they've got in their nest and how many predators they've seen encroach on the territory. Most birds' counting systems are based on [APOLOGIES] "Red Indian Counting" [/APOLOGIES] - I think most work has been done on corvids:

"One, two, many..."

Marsh warblers can count up to three (their normal clutch) as they notice if a cuckoo doesn't throw out exactly one egg before laying its own.

Blimey Dr Blox, you will have the "Pigeon Watch Click " after yu', posting that.

• 2 months later...

Great site, greetings from Wakefield. I'm a relative novice shotgunner but have fished all my life. I use my carp barrow without to much trouble. It's tricky in deep rutted fields and not great on wet clay,give you a good allover body work out with those conditions. Makes a great seat and table. It's got adjustable legs so good on uneven ground.all my kit fits in a army surplus kit bag and everything gets bungie cabled to the Barrow so if it does tip over stuff stays put.

I carry 2 bags of kit in my motor,,

Bag one a 120 litre rucksack with 100 carts nets, seat and all the usual bits etc, plus a fishing quiver with gun poles floaters/bouncer poles, bag of half shell decoys, flask and sarnies all up weight around 37 kg.

Flapper and small battery and rotary if I can manage the terrain and conditions or pick up from the car later.

Bag 2 if on a long, sticky walk are break down sectional hide poles that fit in a 90 litre rucksack, enough net for a 1 man hide (triangle or 3 sided box shape)

60 carts, FUD decoys (modified, no steel work) net clips and a few odds and ends. weight around 26 kg.

All plus gun .

Extra bits and carts left in the car if needed.

As others have said Essex wet sticky soil can be hard going and my ole body feels it now, did have a barrow but they can be a real back killer on sticky , rutted ground, still got an electric golf trolley I was going to make up but again found out from others they can be just as much a pain to use.

I carry in my 100 litre high back military rucksack with the following, three nets, 100 cartridges, three litres of coffee in Steel flasks, toilet roll, Mars bars, tent pegs with guy ropes, pliers, saw, secateurs , spare hat, spare para cord,camera, tripod, tube containing fifty spikes, two large double strap kit bags for pigeon, etc.

In my jacket fifty cartridges, certificate, crow calls, spare cord, spare tops for hide poles,gloves, tube containing fifty wooden spikes.

Gun in slip, hide poles in fishing rod tube. Battery on strap, magnet in kit bag with strap, twenty cradles and twelve flying frames.

All the above on my back and strapped so they can not fall off my shoulders.

In my hands, two bottle bags with 12 dead birds as decoys.

If I need to stop the regain my breath I do ,but have found that a slow rhythmic pace allows me to walk where the birds want to be and keeps me fit, I stand and shoot all day and walk off the field at night making journeys with the kit first then the bags of pigeon with approx seventy in a bag ( used to be ninety) and I will be seventy next year .

I'm not bragging but just decided to write this as it 37degrees outside and I'm enjoying the air con after a mornings fishing.Will be back soon as I start the drive this week end.

Edited by pigeon controller

Hi all,

Not sure if its any use to you, but we now have our mega bags back in stock. http://www.a1decoy.co.uk/mega-pro-holdall-kit-bag-143-p.asp

They fit a good load of kit in, the new stock is a tougher quality with padded straps.

£18.99 usually but PW members get a further 5% discount (PWMEMBER5) making it £18 inc. postage.

Aimee @ A1

I carry in my 100 litre high back military rucksack the following, three nets, 100 cartridges, three litres of coffee in Steel flasks, toilet roll, Mars bars, tent pegs with guy ropes, pliers, saw, secateurs , spare hat, spare para cord,camera, tripod, tube containing fifty spikes, two large double strap kit bags for pigeon, etc.

In my jacket fifty cartridges, certificate, crow calls, spare cord, spare tops for hide poles,gloves, tube containing fifty wooden spikes.

Gun in slip, hide poles in fishing rod tube. Battery on strap, magnet in kit bag with strap, twenty cradles and twelve flying frames.

All the above on my back and strapped so they can not fall off my shoulders.

In my hands, two bottle bags with 12 dead birds as decoys.

If I need to stop the regain my breath I do ,but have found that a slow rhythmic pace allows me to walk where the birds want to be and keeps me fit, I stand and shoot all day and walk off the field at night making journeys with the kit first then the bags of pigeon with approx seventy in a bag ( used to be ninety) and I will be seventy next year .

I'm not bragging but just decided to write this as it 37degrees outside and I'm enjoying the air con after a mornings fishing.Will be back soon as I start the drive this week end.

Wow have you any idea whot that lot weigh's ?

• 1 month later...

Wow this subject ran and ran. Didn't expect that when I asked the original question. I think it needs modifying to suit summer or winter and flat land or hills and dales. I'm now using just one gun with a vest that carries about 30 carts, plus 3 belts, ( 2 joined and over the shoulder and one round the waste) backup extras in the truck, a dozen shell deeks, net and poles, floater pole, canvas camping seat, food and beverage. No mechanical gizmos, no heavy battery. Thinking of trying silosocks and a flying terminator deek, with the autumn wind giving movement.