small lamping 4x4

roadkill

Although the little Jimny is fantastic off road the fuel consumption isn't that much better than the ranger from what i am told. I am currently running a Skoda octavia scout which has great mpg but lacks ground clearance in my opinion. If i was looking to change i would consider the Dacia range of 4x4 great mpg and brilliant off road/ reliability going by what a friend is getting from one.

Although the little Jimny is fantastic off road the fuel consumption isn't that much better than the ranger from what i am told. I am currently running a Skoda octavia scout which has great mpg but lacks ground clearance in my opinion. If i was looking to change i would consider the Dacia range of 4x4 great mpg and brilliant off road/ reliability going by what a friend is getting from one.

I've heard great things about the Dacia's wouldn't mind drive of one.They are basic uncomplicated just how a work horse 4X4 should be.

I've heard great things about the Dacia's wouldn't mind drive of one.They are basic uncomplicated just how a work horse 4X4 should be.

Absolutely, how times change though, people would have laughed at Dacia 20 years ago, just like Skoda!

If all that you are wanting it for is to go across flattish fields you would be hard pushed to beat Nissan X-Trail diesel my 2003 one was very good on fuel and never got stuck in the mud and that was with just road tyres.

And the gurt big 'ole in the roof is handy if you know where the rabbit/fox are going to show.

I think when your looking for a 4x4 as a shooting vehicle then MPG needs to be forgotten about as you just limit your choice.When I ran my shooting buses,Grand Vitara and then 2x Jimnys their capability and the low running costs plus reliability made it worth it.I didn't pay much attention to fuel, as it is what it is with 4x4.

I think when your looking for a 4x4 as a shooting vehicle then MPG needs to be forgotten about as you just limit your choice.When I ran my shooting buses,Grand Vitara and then 2x Jimnys their capability and the low running costs plus reliability made it worth it.I didn't pay much attention to fuel, as it is what it is with 4x4.

I agree with this. If I looked at the mpg in mine compared to my other car, I'd probably walk.

I always prefer a shooting bus as just a shooting bus.Your then not bothered about scratching it or dinting it.My 1st bus Grand Vitara didn't even have carpets and I used to keep a hammer in the back to bash out the dints.Even had to leave it one night and go back with a chain saw as it got wedged between 2 trees (dont ask )When I had my 1st Jimny (full modified) that was the same.However my last Jimny was mint and i became causious and always wanted to keep it clean to the point where I wouldn't take it certain places.So with this in mind if I got back into shooting I would look for a 2k motor where it wouldn't bother me if it got bashed.

Edited by Davyo

That might be the case if you live 5 minutes down the road from most of your shooting, also if you have a lot of ground to cover a 100 or 200 mile recon looking for pigeons can work out expensive.

I recently swapped my Galaxy cab for a green X-trail with 213K miles and a few dinks and scratches in the bodywork but with no more room in the service book for main dealer stamps.

I've changed pads and tidied up a few spots beneath that weren't undersealed and aint fussy about the dinks - in fact the green is not far off olive so I might just flat it all down to a nice near nato green matt. I've already hand painted the wheels black. :)

Edited by Dave-G

i use my shogun pinin for almost everything now iv sold my l200, with a set of g/grabber a/t's and its proper hi/low/diff lock box the little pinin does just about everything the l200 could do but does it owing me next to nothing and it doesnt matter if it collects a dent or two along the way and averaging 30mpg !!

i bought if about 3 years ago for £250 (iirc) and in all that time its only asked for a set of discs/pads, a timing belt and general servicing and recently a little bit of welding - cant fault that :good:

Edited by 69chris