small lamping 4x4

roadkill

One of our members has a Pinin and is constantly getting stuck. It has only minimal ground clearance and mixed with his enthusiasm he has wrecked it in two years.

ground clearance is a bit touchy ill admit, its got a stupidly low gearbox x-member which doesnt help but, as a general 'do most things' truck it does ok, half decent tyres helped mine massively :)

It doesn't really matter what the ground clearance is like because one you sink and your bottomed out your stuck.Its about knowing the capability of what your driving.Even full mud tyres can end up like slicks once the treads full of clay.I learnt to drive round it rather than through it.

Edited by Davyo

It doesn't really matter what the ground clearance is like because one you sink and your bottomed out your stuck.Its about knowing the capability of what your driving.Even full mud tyres can end up like slicks once the treads full of clay.I learnt to drive round it rather than through it.

Yep, all about the right tyres and knowing the capabilities of the vehicle and the driver.

its strange how all the wagons that we used to buy for every day use and shooting have all but disappeared (soft roaders now) the only one that is anything like a proper 4x4 box with decent ground clearance is the Jimny but its not got much room inside if you are used to a biggish 4x4, I've recently brought a Jeep Renegade 4x4, (April) its smaller than my old wagon but with the back seats down there is plenty of room for all my gear, not used it in any mud yet but it pulls well going up step banks on wet grass, only time will tell.

i use my shogun pinin for almost everything now iv sold my l200, with a set of g/grabber a/t's and its proper hi/low/diff lock box the little pinin does just about everything the l200 could do but does it owing me next to nothing and it doesnt matter if it collects a dent or two along the way and averaging 30mpg !!

i bought if about 3 years ago for £250 (iirc) and in all that time its only asked for a set of discs/pads, a timing belt and general servicing and recently a little bit of welding - cant fault that :good:

I have to say that I do like the look of them and they do have the low range gears good for off roading they can be lifted a couple of inches with longer springs and a good set of AT tyres they can be off road the problem is rust not being able to do repairs myself buying an old banger is not an option for me and if I am spending £3k or £4k trying to find a good rust free one is not easy.

I'll never buy another Mitsi again after all the welding mine needed to pass three successive MOT's. Its disgraceful that they don't underseal cars for use on UK salted roads. Very capable cars otherwise - apart from the drybolliking tappets and coking up issues.

Yep, all about the right tyres and knowing the capabilities of the vehicle and the driver.

its strange how all the wagons that we used to buy for every day use and shooting have all but disappeared (soft roaders now) the only one that is anything like a proper 4x4 box with decent ground clearance is the Jimny but its not got much room inside if you are used to a biggish 4x4, I've recently brought a Jeep Renegade 4x4, (April) its smaller than my old wagon but with the back seats down there is plenty of room for all my gear, not used it in any mud yet but it pulls well going up step banks on wet grass, only time will tell.

I have got a Jeep Cherokee 2.8 crd they are very good value for money and with good AT tyres they are very good off road but they really do need lifting 2" at the front as the front diff is a bit low.

• 2 weeks later...

Honda crv getting 41mpg on general grabber at's only got stuck twice once I drove into a ditch and the other I revered into a bit of a boggy patch and sunk down to the axle, better off road than my ranger and a lot better on fuel, 6 gears so ideal for motorway use aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

One of our members has a Pinin and is constantly getting stuck. It has only minimal ground clearance and mixed with his enthusiasm he has wrecked it in two years.

I had a pining, couldn't fault it really, only problem is rust on them, the youngster down the farm has it now and loves it