Leong2582

I am Looking for my 1st Gun dog which will also double up as a very well loved family pet as I have 4 kids,

mostly for on the peg driven but would like a good all rounder, a generally a steady dog is what i'm looking

for, open to all advice as I have never owned or attempted to train a gun dog before so am unsure wether

to send the new dog off for training or just practice retrieves in the garden or both, obviously will do my research

and do the best job possible once a breed has been decided upon and a puppy purchased (doesn't have to be

a puppy but a strong bond is essential).

thanks in advance

Leon

Hi i like the labrador i had a bitch wich i got for free at 15 month she was never near a gun yet once i took her out she was very good picking up anything i shot i never done any traing with her she is my avatar pic i had her for 13 1/2 years she died 2 months ago i now have another 7 month golden lab dog i hope he works as good as her

thanks guys a Labrador is definitely a top contender, especially after watching all the spaniel owners on the shoot

blowing their whistles and shouting for and at the dogs continuously last season, spaniels are amazing retrievers

and watching them excitedly flush birds out of tall grass was quite an impressive sight, but they seem a bit too

lively and the selective hearing on a shoot day would drive me nuts, so im possibly worrying too much about the

training? I know a lot of what working dogs do is instinctive but watching them in action I genuinely thought it would

take a huge amount of training to get them to a good working dog standard.

You have to appreciate that apparently many dogs are taken beating with next to no training therefore one assumes that the more excitable (naturally) such as spaniels will stand out as untrained more than labs which are apparently generally calmer.

Could be talking bollix though 😉

very good point to be fair, we all have to start somewhere with the training nobody complains or anything like that and the spaniels

did far outnumber the labs so im glad you pointed that out, im still thinking the more relaxed dog is a better match for me personally

but I have found all of the input on this thread very useful. :good:

I was exactly were you are thirty months ago. First dog, a cocker...oops. Was hard work I wont deny it and she remains hard work at times but with a lot of time and effort I trained her to a standard that I am pretty happy with. She has worked two seasons on two shoots and has never been the worse dog there neither have we had any major issues or ruined a drive.

Not saying you should get a spaniel just saying if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck with whatever you get. 👍

i did suspect as much with a spaniel, the hard work part was a major influence in the decision to go with a Lab :) but i have also

seen some spaniels in action that clearly showed why its worth investing the time and patience in them, absolutely amazing little

workers! however i don't have time or patience in abundance so a lab it is :good:

i will be looking to get a puppy mid-late September with a view to doing some general training over the summer ready to join me on

my peg for the 2018/19 season, alternatively if i can get an older possibly partially trained dog i will take them along this coming season

many thanks for the input.

i had my lab 14 years and she worked well for me, worked all day.she died in 1984 never got another.

Never got another dog or never got another Lab?

If the former, I admire your resolve.

Ive said "Im not getting anymore", when the inevitable happens, normally lasts about a month!

Good point, my cocker will go into cover you would not think possible, she just ploughs a route through. Amazes me that touch wood to date she has had no cuts or injuries. I like the "busyness" of a cocker and the tenacity, however you have to hold onto her shirt tails on occasions as "bad things happening" are only a second of not paying attention away 😁

Springer or Lab, my preference would be the springer. I think your first dog always has an element of roughness round the edges as far as training in concerned, the 2nd you have much greater insight and first hand experience. Good luck either way mate

Hi i like the labrador i had a bitch wich i got for free at 15 month she was never near a gun yet once i took her out she was very good picking up anything i shot i never done any traing with her she is my avatar pic i had her for 13 1/2 years she died 2 months ago i now have another 7 month golden lab dog i hope he works as good as her

Blimey! How on earth did you get the dog to do what you wanted without training it?

any would do but the bitch in heat is a cause for concern as it may go home with pups thats what i got told on a drive my reply was no she wont as every dog that went near her she would sit down she never had pups

Funny that. My bitch is currently in season. When she is she shows no sign of any interest whatsoever of dogs. I think that she thinks she is human lol. I can safely have her off lead and she won't go anywhere.

It is a problem when she is in season during game season though as obviously I cannot work her then so that may answer the op question

I think reading between the lines a Lab would be the ticket for you. I have had Labs and in my experience more willing peg dogs. I have had Labs and springers and adding to my pack with another springer in about a month.

I thin either breed would do you well. Just remember to take it slow and have fun.

You should never forget that those little spaniels will go were the labs will not and without them to flush your game there would be nothing for your lab to retrieve just my opinion though

very true working dogs all play a very vital role in our sport and each breed has its pro's & cons i'm just making sure I pick the

breed best suited to what I need it for so both myself & the dog are happy

Hi Motty honest i never did any training with her her first rabbit was a problem to get her to let it go after that it was no bother she did get a fright with the first roe deer i shot with her being there the roe gave a bark when she ran to it then she ran into the high crop it took about ten minutes for her to come back after that no problem

I think reading between the lines a Lab would be the ticket for you. I have had Labs and in my experience more willing peg dogs. I have had Labs and springers and adding to my pack with another springer in about a month.

I thin either breed would do you well. Just remember to take it slow and have fun.

absolutely, there is a strong possibility that after all my research I will end up with both a lab & spaniel :hmm:

cheers

Leon

My preference would be a Spaniel as they are Manic but entertaining. It is very important to ascertain just who is Boss from an early age - as I write this my 2 Springer's are sprawled over a £2k Leather Sofa with no intention of doing anything in a hurry so that's that sorted. On the other hand they have never been trained and yet the desire to hunt/retrieve is unbelievably strong, my 2 year old Dog will retrieve anything (he even brings the Shopping in from the car) and put it in your hand, he will not drop it unless you tell him - in your hand every time. I have also never seen any aggression from this breed - apologies for such a sweeping statement but I can only speak of my experience.

Just get a golden retriever

Send lee a pm I'm sure he'll help you get one

How many days actually will you be shooting 50 ?

This still leaves 300+ when you're going to have a good family animal

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

I did have a look at golden retrievers as they seem very laid back (much like myself) but having watched them in action last season they seemed to rely on site rather than scent,

I went and picked up a few that the retrievers had ran past several times and when your shooting it can sometimes be impossible to mark every bird that comes down so I did rely

heavily on the dogs and our picking up Ladies to ensure everything was picked up it might not be the breed as such but that was the impression that I got plus the puppies seem

quite expensive in comparison to other breeds of gun dogs, i'm looking to start decoying pigeon after enjoying great sport (and eating) with the ones that came over during the drives

last season so am hoping to develop the confidence in the dogs ability to get stuck in when birds present themselves as we all know if you miss your chance on a day out there might

not be another!

cheers

Leon