Leong2582

You should never forget that those little spaniels will go were the labs will not and without them to flush your game there would be nothing for your lab to retrieve just my opinion though

Spot on Michael I was thinking the same, I love the Labradors but yon need both on a shoot in my opinion.

My last Lab as he got older (gone now bless him) wouldn't go in any really rough stuff had to do that myself with the spaniels but each to our own.

Both types and others make a shoot, imagine if everything went to plan what would we have to talk about at the pub afterwards

My first gundog was a ess dog He was easy to train as he had a great temperament I used him for rough shooting sitting at peg and trialed him back in the 70/80's and proved the ess could retrieve game or dummies as good as any retriever and often better as he won many cups He lived till 15yrs

I have had and still do have ess dogs cannot beat them in my opinion ( may be a biased opinion ) and have just put down a deposit for a new pup, guess what?

I also find them easier to transport being a smaller breed than retrievers and easier to lift over high barbed fences even though they're fantastic at jumping over hurdles etc and also good at working out getting under net fenses They'll negociate any obstucle and no rough cover is a problem

I keep mine in the back of my house so are always toweled down when wet same at shoots before putting them back into the vehicle

I have them with me as much as possible and you and your pup get to know and understand each other

Best of luck with whatever you get. I suggest you keep your new pup with you in the house where you can teach him/her basics like sitting .retrieving a tennis ball let him sit and wait a moment before having each meal

My first gundog was a ess dog He was easy to train as he had a great temperament I used him for rough shooting sitting at peg and trialed him back in the 70/80's and proved the ess could retrieve game or dummies as good as any retriever and often better as he won many cups He lived till 15yrs

I have had and still do have ess dogs cannot beat them in my opinion ( may be a biased opinion ) and have just put down a deposit for a new pup, guess what?

I also find them easier to transport being a smaller breed than retrievers and easier to lift over high barbed fences even though they're fantastic at jumping over hurdles etc and also good at working out getting under net fenses They'll negociate any obstucle and no rough cover is a problem

I keep mine in the back of my house so are always toweled down when wet same at shoots before putting them back into the vehicle

I have them with me as much as possible and you and your pup get to know and understand each other

Best of luck with whatever you get. I suggest you keep your new pup with you in the house where you can teach him/her basics like sitting .retrieving a tennis ball let him sit and wait a moment before having each meal

many thanks the ess is certainly a popular breed and if this thread is anything to go by they certainly do inspire devoted owners, I do understand why :)