Have given my sincerest words of admiration to OB a few days back when I received a copy of the post but it will not hurt to repeat them....cracking post (most likely the best I have read to date on PW), as for Demonwolf's work I can only say that it has to be seen to be believed - some people are simply meant to do certain things - with James it's Guns, not only is he a genius with his hands but his knowledge of all things Gun related is astonishing when considering the young head on his shoulders.

Keep the Gun OB and enjoy it because no amount of money spent on a modern gun will ever compare to the thrill of using such a work of art.

Thanks again bruno,

Every time I look at the new forend that James has created, I just am amazed at the detail and style that he has incorporated into it. It really has to be seen to be fully appreciated, along with the truly superb finish to the stock.

He really does deserve all the recognition that he can get.

His work is truly amazing.

Yes and I will be keeping,admiring and using the gun for the foreseeable future.

OB

Just out of interest,,what cartridges are you shooting through it? .I've settled on Hull Imperial Game 28g 6 through my Evans hammer gun and find them respectfully gentle to shoot. A bit pricey but Coniston Shooting ground did me a good deal and you are not going to use thousands.

Just out of interest,,what cartridges are you shooting through it? .I've settled on Hull Imperial Game 28g 6 through my Evans hammer gun and find them respectfully gentle to shoot. A bit pricey but Coniston Shooting ground did me a good deal and you are not going to use thousands.

I've not really thought too much on choice of cartridges, only that they must be suitable for 21/2 inch chambers.

One of my shooting pals has suggested that next season we have a duck shoot on his little marsh shooting only guns that are over 100 years old. This sounds a great idea so in this instance will be using Bismuth. Previously the teal have taken the mickey out of my slow reactions, but hopefully the old gun may prove itself against the odd mallard.

We shall see.

OB

OB imperial game for game; you won't get a better shooting cartridge. I my preference is the 26 gram 6, but if you need more range you can drop down to a 4 and be assured of clean kills.

For clays hull comp X 21 grams.

Both cartridges are 2 1/2 inch fibre wad and shoot great. The 26 gram load in imperial game seems right in the sweets spot for my older guns.

Excellent thread! Thanks for the description and the excellent pictures. Reminds me of my favourite guitar forum, where such threads are a 'feature'; some of them go for hundred of pages!

Imperial Game's are nice to shoot; for Clay there is also the CompX 28g, which I shoot with all of my guns; it's pretty much as soft as the 21g really, really amazing little cartridge.

Thanks guys.

Imperial game it is then.

I always use fibre wads and invariably 6 shot so a trip to the gunshop later to get some. Not that I will be using many, especially at present as there`s a dearth of pigeon in my neck of the woods at the moment. I don`t shoot clays as I invariably eat what I shoot and find the bits get in your teeth !

OB

Thanks guys.

Imperial game it is then.

I always use fibre wads and invariably 6 shot so a trip to the gunshop later to get some. Not that I will be using many, especially at present as there`s a dearth of pigeon in my neck of the woods at the moment. I don`t shoot clays as I invariably eat what I shoot and find the bits get in your teeth !

OB

Good choice. I use Imperial game 26g for all of my game shooting.

Having now converted grams into old money, i.e. Ounces, something that I can relate to due to my age, I have settled, as suggested, for Imperial Game 26g fibre wad 6s. Must at some stage, drag myself into the 21st Century.

Thanks for the advice.

OB

Having now converted grams into old money, i.e. Ounces, something that I can relate to due to my age, I have settled, as suggested, for Imperial Game 26g fibre wad 6s. Must at some stage, drag myself into the 21st Century.

Thanks for the advice.

OB

Or you could use eley impax paper case the smell is a aphrodisiac:-)

27gram fibre wad

Seem to work ok in mine

Eley do a 2.1/2 gran prix in bismuth

Or you could use eley impax paper case the smell is a aphrodisiac:-)

27gram fibre wad

Seem to work ok in mine

Eley do a 2.1/2 gran prix in bismuth

Thanks OF,

Might give those a try as I won't be putting that many through the old girl.

OB

Thanks for the advice.

OB

Hull Imperial Game 26g is a nice effective cartridge; Except where non toxic is essential, I use it in all my game shooting (not a great deal) and use 21g (3/4oz) for clays (significantly cheaper). Both these are well suited to older guns, but I use them in my (fairly modern) AyA and my o/u guns as well. Non toxic is a problem (as far as I know nothing is available in 2 1/2" cases) and I leave my older guns in the cabinet where this would be needed on a day out.

I`ve just had a sort through and found an almost full box of Eley VIP Bismuth 4s suitable for 21/2 inch chambers in my shed, so they`ll do for our proposed little veteran (gun & owners) duck shoot next season.

Just need to get some Hull Imperial Game 26g, fibre wads in 6s to have a go at the very few pigeons that are about.

Thanks again all for the cartridge advice.

OB

• 2 weeks later...

Having just taken the time to go over my lengthy account of the refurbishment, I noticed a glaring error which no doubt was spotted by others who were far too polite to correct me.

When describing the 'rejointing or tightening' of barrels to action, I referred to welding metal onto the 'forend lump'. This of course should have read 'barrel lump'.

I think that those far more knowledgeable than me on shotgun components have been very gentle with my technical errors.

OB

I`ve just had a sort through and found an almost full box of Eley VIP Bismuth 4s suitable for 21/2 inch chambers in my shed, so they`ll do for our proposed little veteran (gun & owners) duck shoot next season.

Just need to get some Hull Imperial Game 26g, fibre wads in 6s to have a go at the very few pigeons that are about.

Thanks again all for the cartridge advice.

OB

Imperial as said is a very good game cartridge. In my guns, even the 2&1/2" chamber version, they shoot the patterns you'd expect for game so for a crack at the pigeon 7 might suit better. Having said that though, Hull have re-vamped their 7s and the difference now between the current version and 6s is not as great as it was before the change. Therefore, a pinch of salt perhaps.

Have managed to miss this thread ...only just found it............absolute pleasure to read...way beyond my skill set....loverly to see our history so beautifilly saved.. :good::good:

Thanks for that Ditchman, the skill being provided by Dan (Barrelblacker) and James (Demonwolf444) was incredible, but your own skill in building/rebuilding all things mechanical by all accounts is also no mean feat, so each to his own.

I only wish I had any of those skills.

I cannot even post photos on PW and have to have someone do that for me.

One of these days I'll drag myself into the 21st.Century (if I'm spared!)

OB

• 10 months later...