How would you want to go After you've gone?

7daysinaweek

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well chaps some very interesting stuff here

Obviously most of you have just come up with the idea and it doesn't matter because you're dead

Some have given a bit of thought to where there remains /ashes should go

However funeral/celebration of life is for those left behind

How would you nearest and dearest feel when there explaining to grand kids that they shoved you in a Wheeley bin

It's a hard thing to say goodbye forever plan it and go in a dignified way

Think

This is the last memory you will have the opportunity to create and leave with the ones who loved you its up to you to make it a good or bad one

Just my thoughts

Of

My family know my religious beliefs or rather lack of. They know I am an honest man and not a hypocrite. They know I don't like fuss and that I like my own space. Therefore my aforementioned plan would be an ideal way to send me off 👍

depressing thread really, just heard that the local builder who did a bit of screeding for me only a while back died at xmas, only 40, I was about to ring him to get him to give me a quote for something else, he literally dropped down dead one day with a heart attack, not a smoker, drinker, or overweight. It brings it home, that it could all be over in a flash.

I suppose a sensible person goes for the roasting option.

Edited by wandringstar

Some laudable replies here, chaps, particularly when it comes to thriftiness. However, please think about those you leave behind. The traditions and rites of a funeral are very helpful to your loved ones in defining their grief. That lump in your throat when they sing 'Abide With Me' on cup final day is part and parcel of that. Particularly for us English, with our stoicism, having a socially-acceptable/ritualised way of grieving is very helpful.

For my part, I want a proper church funeral service. I fancy "Thou Knowest, Lord, The Secrets of Our Hearts" by Purcell, the Nunc Dimittus from the St Paul's Service by Howells, and Howells "Like As The Hart" (which we had at our wedding).

"Abide With Me" of course, and "How Shall I Sing That Majesty", which is an epic hymn.

Incense, bells - the whole shooting match. :good:

As for the actual internment, I'm not too fussed about the location or the method of entry, just so long as my grave is marked so that my enemies know where to ****

:lol:

LS

I want to be cast in bronze stark naked with a huge erection with a few extra inches of added 'artistic license' then placed on Hornsea sea front with my bits turned into one of those pay to view telescopes. I'd be looking down from the clouds listening to people saying "Yes, but is it art?" And when it rained that would be me ******* myself.

Not that I've already given it much thought or anything...

Failing that... bait for crab pots. I love crab and it only seems fair to let them have something back.

GG

I want to be cast in bronze stark naked with a huge erection with a few extra inches of added 'artistic license' then placed on Hornsea sea front with my bits turned into one of those pay to view telescopes. I'd be looking down from the clouds listening to people saying "Yes, but is it art?" And when it rained that would be me ******* myself.

Not that I've already given it much thought or anything...

Failing that... bait for crab pots. I love crab and it only seems fair to let them have something back.

GG

:lol::lol::lol:

I can picture it now, at least the Gulls will have somewhere to perch!

What I want is to be buried in my field, assuming I still own one at that point.

Bury me deep so those Time Team grave robbers can't find me. I don't want a marker or anything and as in life I'd prefer to be left alone.

For those left behind that want to mark my passing, go to the top of the Great Orme and watch the sun go down as there is no better mark for a man than that.

Personally I don't care what happens as long as it's not a burial, the thought of being buried alive scares me to death!

Agree though the funeral is an important part for the family left behind especially when someone is taken away suddenly as a chance for everyone to say goodbye but I think it's so important to make it a celebration of the persons life. I can't stand church funerals as they are so impersonal.

We lost my stepfather after an accident on holiday, only 48. the final song at his funeral was ACDC "you shook me all night long" it was the perfect send off. It gets played at virtually every family party and it brings a smile to everyone's face.

Back to topic cremation for me, I read this dissolving thing earlier and all I can think about is the first series of breaking bad with the body in the bathtub and the mess it made!!

My family know I don't want anything fancy,something cheap as can be the money is for my family not the undertakers. No plot or marker they can choose where to scatter my remains they all know my favorite places and pastimes so I'll let them decide where as they will remember the scattering I'm past caring by then :lol:

I want as much of my useless carcass to be used for transplants especially my skin for anyone unfortunate enough to need skin grafts (they hurt a lot) What's left can be burned & the ashes scattered round the tree where my dogs are resting.

No funeral & deffo no religious ********, my Mrs has been told to spend the cash on a huge ****up in the pub.

Just cremated and scattered in my back garden where all of my old dogs ended up being buried I do not much see the point of graves as mostly people do not bother to keep them up and if it is someone that you care about you can always bury the ashes in your garden ( in a container if you think that you will be moving at some point ) and make a small monument if that is your need.

I wanted a green burial in a wood land a tree planted over me but I will now Be interned whith my beloved bev when I was a refuse collecter the standing joke was throw me in the back of the bin lorry i hade 2 choices if it went to land fill it was burial if it went to the furnace i woud be burnt

In an ideal world... Brought into the church the night before. Requiem Mass. Prayed for after.

With any luck as many of the diaspora as possible will be there. If anybody could sing, even to themselves, 'A Lyke Wake Dirge' on the way in it would be a bit different. Definitely want 'I Watch the Sunrise'. Not sure where I'd want to be buried, might be in the wood in the space on top of my nephew, hopefully the roots of the nearby oak won't have grown too much in the next 40 or so years.

It's not an ideal world, I don't know where I'll be living or who'll be left so we'll see.

Well, to go against the grain of most who have posted on here I have already bought a plot in my local graveyard where my wife and I plan to be buried.

I walk past it most days looking to see if I have new "neighbours" :lol:

Its a strange old world and its a good job we are not all the same. :good:

H

Well, to go against the grain of most who have posted on here I have already bought a plot in my local graveyard where my wife and I plan to be buried.

I walk past it most days looking to see if I have new "neighbours" :lol:

Its a strange old world and its a good job we are not all the same. :good:

H

Reminds me of my local cemetery.

I often walk the dog through there, and I often saw an old man sat on a bench eating his lunch. Opposite was his wife and daughters graves with a gap before the next grave.

I hadn't walked through in a while and when I went there last the bench has a brass plaque with his name on and opposite he rests next to his wife and daughter.