65 plate nissan qashqai

Squinting shot

1.5dci?

Check the timing belt
Thoroughly
Often

Then check it again.

Try to become obsessive about it :-)

My son bought a 2010 Qashqai in 2013 with the same engine.
13 Months later the timing belt broke at ~50K miles.
NP he thinks, the car is still under the dealer's warranty.
"Well sir, the limit for a single claim is £2500 and it will cost £4250 to rebuild your engine or £4500 for a factory reconditioned unit"

A bit of research showed this was a known issue Nissan were refusing to own so he engaged in a social media name-and shame-campaign which miraculously resulted in Nissan paying for a new engine (with a modified tensioner and sprockets to fix the issue) and all the labour costs to fit it.

A couple of weeks ago he phoned me to say the timing belt in the new engine had just broken.

I have a feeling Nissan aren't going to step up a second time...

Mike

1.5dci?

Check the timing belt

Thoroughly

Often

Then check it again.

Try to become obsessive about it :-)

My son bought a 2010 Qashqai in 2013 with the same engine.

13 Months later the timing belt broke at ~50K miles.

NP he thinks, the car is still under the dealer's warranty.

"Well sir, the limit for a single claim is £2500 and it will cost £4250 to rebuild your engine or £4500 for a factory reconditioned unit"

A bit of research showed this was a known issue Nissan were refusing to own so he engaged in a social media name-and shame-campaign which miraculously resulted in Nissan paying for a new engine (with a modified tensioner and sprockets to fix the issue) and all the labour costs to fit it.

A couple of weeks ago he phoned me to say the timing belt in the new engine had just broken.

I have a feeling Nissan aren't going to step up a second time...

Mike

Wow that's disgusting from a manufacturer like Nissan will definitely keep an eye out for that.

Heard there are similar probs with new X-trail, which is basically the same car but a few more toys. Mates son is the Leaf salesman at local big Nissan dealership and they are doing a lot of warranty stuff which is hitting the bottom line so they are becoming rather tough on some customers with repeat problems. Heard though from a similar source VW Golf (GTI/GTD) are very prone to clutch/flywheel issues and dealers refusing to acknowledge issues even where RAC/AA report on problems. Some of this is down to the 'emissions' fix costs and all the hassle it has caused dealers.

My mate had 3 engines in 3 years in his navara plus a new set of alloys due to splitting.

My customer had the car in question and they had constant problems with the electronics. They've had to sell it as it still wasn't fixed after 2 years.

All the sensors and the dash /clocks.

Nissan don't know the fix apparently

• 1 month later...

They are not being too bad with Navara owners. Buying back most trucks between 05 and 07 is more than most manufacturers would do.

Only after being exposed and shamed into it by a Facebook group after it went viral and the TV got involved.

I only once owned a Nissan,3 days in total absolute rubbish and that was well before Renault got involved.The problems with Nissan and always has been.

Edited by Davyo

you can phone Nissan customer services uk [ get number from google] and all you do is give them the reg number and ask if there is any outstanding recalls to be carried out on it .

if there is they will help you arrange getting them done .......................... that's what I di for my 53 plate xtrail and there were 2 .

the fuel filler neck and passenger side airbag module . now all up to date .

even got some warrenty work carried out on an import hilux surf done by getting in touch with Toyota customer services they even washed hoovered it [day after being out shooting in it and it was up to the eyes inside & out] they even put £20 of diesel in

There is a website called honest John. He writes in the telegraph i think. Industry insider. The website is eye opening to say the least. lists all known faults and recalls for virtually every car . Also lists "tsb" ( technical service bulletin ) as issued to main dealers regarding faults which are not necessarily safety recalls. And you can report your faults to it also. The "real mpg " feature is interesting also.

Had some fun in main dealers asking specific questions about known faults highlighted in tsb. To which they deny all knowledge.

Worth a read.

Jasper.