L200 pressurising trouble

herby

Hi All

2013 L200 overheats bubbles in the expansion tank and is trailered in the dealership. 46000 miles, three dealer services, and two local vat registered garage services.

I said I think the head gasket has blown as I have since learned its a common problem.

ok we will have a look and see.

The next day I get a call saying it is pressurising but could be the radiator so they would have to change that first to rule it out. (£833)

BUT they had been onto the warranty company for Mitsubishi and they said only the engine was down to them so I would have to foot the bill for this and if that didn't fix it they would then strip the engine and see what else the problem could be and then and only then they would see if the warranty company would cover it or not.

So I am looking at having to replace a working radiator at £833 the when they see that this L200 has had a failed head gasket too along with the other 1000's that have failed and only when it's stripped in their garage will they then tell me if they will cover it under warranty. I am thinking this will be a no if they can even tell if a radiator is working or not!!

Any thoughts please if anyone else has been in the same boat.

Thanks

Get someone to do a compression test on it, if the head gasket has blown (which these symptoms suggest) it'll be down on either one or two cylinders.

I cant think of any scenario where a faulty radiator would blow bubbles into the expansion tank, you're having your leg lifted

Hi All

2013 L200 overheats bubbles in the expansion tank and is trailered in the dealership. 46000 miles, three dealer services, and two local vat registered garage services.

I said I think the head gasket has blown as I have since learned its a common problem.

ok we will have a look and see.

The next day I get a call saying it is pressurising but could be the radiator so they would have to change that first to rule it out. (£833)

BUT they had been onto the warranty company for Mitsubishi and they said only the engine was down to them so I would have to foot the bill for this and if that didn't fix it they would then strip the engine and see what else the problem could be and then and only then they would see if the warranty company would cover it or not.

So I am looking at having to replace a working radiator at £833 the when they see that this L200 has had a failed head gasket too along with the other 1000's that have failed and only when it's stripped in their garage will they then tell me if they will cover it under warranty. I am thinking this will be a no if they can even tell if a radiator is working or not!!

Any thoughts please if anyone else has been in the same boat.

Thanks

tell them no radiator swop as the radiator cannot generate pressure or bubbles in the coolant only combustion gasses can do this a simple test will determine gasses in the system takes a few minutes (with a fluid that changes colour) they are trying to have you over the cost they mentioned a possible sweetener towards labour costs to strip the head , no guarantees they change the rad only a phone call to say it didn't work and the head has to come off a new aftermarket radiator would be less than £100.00 anywhere

Ask them for an explanation of how the radiator can cause pressurising, then ask if they have checked the expansion tank for exhaust gasses. I have to say I don't think it's that common on that age vehicle, the old shape were good for it but the newer have been much better

When i had this on my Vauxhall ,much smaller engine but the same lotsa bubbles in the header tank ,it was a corroded oil cooler allowing gas into the water system ,a £50 pressure test kit saved me paying 650 quid for a new head gasket i didnt need .Pressure test it m8,if you were local u could pop round and it would only take minutes atb

Edited by clakk

does sound as if they are trying to recoupe some of the labour to do the head which from your descripsion defo will be the fault or worst case the head may have cracked .I can not see that a blocked rad would cause bubbles there is also test kits available to test for head gasket failure

is there and independent radiator company close to you if so get the rad to them and ask them to flow test it .

in my experience (long time in the motor trade mot tester mechanic now retired) dealers are the biggest rip off merchants in the trade .

one instance that comes to mind was my brother in laws old Vectra which developed a fault with the alarm immobiliser system any how after telling him it was one thing fitting it not fixing it so back in telling him its another thing fitting it not fixing it total bill of £485 they turned round and said " oh we don,t really know what else to except change the whole system at a cost of over a grand on top of the £485 he already had to pay .

I got him to bring car to me disabled the factory system and fitted an after market alarm thatchem approved system for around £200

I would not trust a main dealer as far as I could throw them

a simple rad check when engine warmed up check if top of rad is hot and bottom cold if so take thermostate out and check again you can also pressure check rad cap. But.symptoms do point to head problems . My advice TAKE IT TO AN INDEPENDENT GARRAGE FOR A DIAGNOSIS .

Edited by scutt

Get someone to do a compression test on it, if the head gasket has blown (which these symptoms suggest) it'll be down on either one or two cylinders.

I cant think of any scenario where a faulty radiator would blow bubbles into the expansion tank, you're having your leg lifted

I'm with this man 👍