Pigeon Breasts

Lucky Shot 1958

I have tried Pigeon before but was not too impressed,last Sunday I thought that I would try it again after watching a chap on YouTube prepare pigeon breasts so I did mine in a similar way that he did and they were delicious.

I simply seasoned well with sea salt and black pepper fried them in very hot olive oil for 2 mins each side so that they were pink in the middle,the taste was very similar to steak,I sill certainly be having these again.....

Thanks

I'm sure it isn't the case with people here, but most common mistake when cooking pigeon is to over cook it!

I've cooked it similar to what you described,it was cut into small pieces so not recognizable as to what it was and my brother in law who is in catering thought it was sirloin.

I love them as others have said, flash fry in hot olive oil for a few mins a side, I normally take off the heat add a knob of butter and spoon it over the pigeon for a min or two.

A fantastic addition to a fried breakfast or sliced thinly after cooking and put on top of a salad.

• 2 weeks later...

In order to tempt pigeon sceptics I have a cunning plan.

Young birds breasts are best but old birds breasts will do. Debreast in the usual way then place the meat flat side down and with a very sharp knife cut parallel to the chopping board and cut the breast in half. This gives a larger surface area for flash frying. One minute on either side should do and serve the 'thin medallions of beef' with a salad.

I occasionally prepare some pigeon breast and marinate them in a mix of white wine vinegar, just a slosh, couple of tablespoons of maple syrup/or brown dem sugar if you don't have the maple. I used a Cajun mix which I have sent from Louisiana but you can easily make up your own, finely chopped fresh garlic(couple of cloves), a good grind of black pepper, a pinch or two of cumin and a tablespoon of sea salt, a tablespoon of red chillies, add to this a half cup of beer, light ale type. Place the breast in this so it covers them and leave in the fridge for 48hrs turning them over occasionally. I have a home made low and slow smoker, but I have used the small ABU hot smoker as well. Place the breasts in the smoker and let them cook for about 30 mins, then brush them over with the marinade and wrap in tinfoil, a couple of layers, place back in the smoker and give them another 30 mins. This where the low and slow smoker works best, the small hot smokers are just too hot and you cannot just let them run down like you can charcoal. I use plum or cherry wood which is well dry, two or three years stored and cut into small chunks, I soak these for 30 mins before putting them on top of the charcoal.

Usually serve these very thinly sliced on salad as a starter or on there own again thinly sliced as finger food whilst having that first drink. Apple jelly works well with this.

I have a large pigeon and steak pie on the go. Simply swap half the steak for pigeon and if you like add some red wine. Simoles

I do this too. Sometimes with cider instead of wine is very nice indeed. I do cook them fast like steak too, having said that I have been known to cook a bit more thoroughly and let them cool until next day and slice up mega thinly with a super sharp knife. All good :good:

Edited by Andra

• 3 weeks later...