Semi Auto 2 or 3 Cartridges

LoneGunman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible hence my comment "if they were aware," when I worked there the signage was put up.

I was at N&DGC a few weeks back. We decided to shoot some FITASC and one of the lads was explaing it was full use of gun on the single birds.

"Great!" I said, "Does that mean I can load 3 cartridges?" :whistling:

I would post the replies but they'd never get past the censor. :lol:

I'm a firm user of semi autos and I'd only ever load 2. Unless I was at a semi auto comp where every stand was full use of gun ala Benelli SP comp.

I'd have a quiet word if I saw anyone loading 3 providing they weren't in a semi auto stand ( few clay grounds have these now where you load 3 and have 3 birds)

If ever I saw anyone loading 3 at clays they would be shot down in flames.I see a lot of new shooters with autos IE not much experience .And I don't. Want to be standing near them.Dipper.

Not in a comp wot difference does it make wether firing 2 or 3 shots?

Can't really see any safety isisues over it

But surely that is equally possibe with a OU or SS?

Say the 2nd clay is a broken 1 or for some reason u only fire the 1 shot.

You should NEVER walk out of a stand without a ou or ss not being broken open and hence checked unloaded.

A semi should have a flag inserted.

Loading three in a semi, except for special semi shoots is asking for trouble and certainly if not enforced by a ground then I would shoot elsewhere.

In a hide shooting pigeons is the place for three in a semi.

I used to go to very small shoot a chap came down .Never shot before so we tried to teach hime safety like banging your head on the wall.Youve heard the story been in the army knew it all .Then he got a auto that's when l stopped going .He was bad with 2 barrels with the auto he was Leathel.Its never the guns fault .its the the guy pulling the trigger.He went to Worsley once and got himself band.For loading 3.Dipper.

I used to go to very small shoot a chap came down .Never shot before so we tried to teach hime safety like banging your head on the wall.Youve heard the story been in the army knew it all .Then he got a auto that's when l stopped going .He was bad with 2 barrels with the auto he was Leathel.Its never the guns fault .its the the guy pulling the trigger.He went to Worsley once and got himself band.For loading 3.Dipper.

Maybe he was the reason that it was a small shoot ? I am NOT once again, getting dragged into the "how unsafe auto's are " argument. Suffice it to say, ALL of the accidents that I have had the misfortune to witness, DID NOT INVOLVE AN AUTO !

I am not suggesting an auto is any more dangerous than any other gun but it is surprising how quickly somebody can forget to count to three once in the stand and I have witness somebody load three cartridges fire two and then turn to walk out of the stand puzzeled as to why they were struggling to insert a flag until the penny dropped!

I must admit i was stirring/playing devils advocate here.

Obviously i don't shoot clays much or really like SA's, but intresting to think that even on a relatively safe place like a clay ground (where muzzle awarness is not quite so important when in the cage) people still have issues with SA safety.

I'm usually the sole voice who really does not agree with them on game/rough shooting days purely for the safety issue when the annual SA's on driven day thread comes round :whistling:.

I don't know why people tip toe around it, SA's are more dangerous than break barrel guns, its just a matter of design, so u have to be even more carefully with ur safety drills and muzzle awareness

Or atleast when in the hands of someone with dubious safety awareness they usually become even more off a laibility

scotslad, theres no such thing as a dangerous gun,only dangerous humans.

I regurarally shoot competition with a semi/auto.

Before entering stand ten shells in vest pocket, load three, shoot pair, load two and so until because only one shell up spout and obnly one left in pocket shoot last pair and as last empty is ejected the bolt stays open indicating an empty gun. no shells left so cant load more, and yes other pocket with shells but teach yourself this safety and everyone is safe. simples.

There are comps out there esp[ecially for three shots per call, 15 birds per stand.

If you frequented clay shoots you will see better safety that at some game shoots.