Semi Auto 2 or 3 Cartridges

LoneGunman

Theres no such thing as a dangerous gun,only dangerous humans.

This :good:

If you can't make your gun safe, and you should do so like a robot whatever type of gun you're using, then you shouldn't be shooting anywhere near another person. Christ, you're only talking about an extra cartridge in this instance and 99% of semi-auto's lock open when the last cartridge is fired, so if the action is closed when you've shot you know you need to rack the action at least once before leaving the cage/stand, hardly rocket science. :oops:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scotslad, theres no such thing as a dangerous gun,only dangerous humans.

I regurarally shoot competition with a semi/auto.

Before entering stand ten shells in vest pocket, load three, shoot pair, load two and so until because only one shell up spout and obnly one left in pocket shoot last pair and as last empty is ejected the bolt stays open indicating an empty gun. no shells left so cant load more, and yes other pocket with shells but teach yourself this safety and everyone is safe. simples.

There are comps out there esp[ecially for three shots per call, 15 birds per stand.

If you frequented clay shoots you will see better safety that at some game shoots.

What happens if you have a no bird, if you start transferring carts from one pocket to another, you end up in a worst state than when you started. If your deemed component enough to hold a SGC, you should be able to check your gun is empty on leaving a stand.

scotslad, theres no such thing as a dangerous gun,only dangerous humans.

I regurarally shoot competition with a semi/auto.

Before entering stand ten shells in vest pocket, load three, shoot pair, load two and so until because only one shell up spout and obnly one left in pocket shoot last pair and as last empty is ejected the bolt stays open indicating an empty gun. no shells left so cant load more, and yes other pocket with shells but teach yourself this safety and everyone is safe. simples.

There are comps out there esp[ecially for three shots per call, 15 birds per stand.

If you frequented clay shoots you will see better safety that at some game shoots.

Sorry but I would hope the person running the shoot stopped you loading three as for a normal clay shoot their is just no need to do so.

As above what happens if it was a very simple pair and both clays were shot simultaneously with one shot you would be up one cartridge with the risk of forgetting it is chambered at the end of the ten clays.

Sorry call be old fashion but I can see no reason to shoot clays with a semi/auto in the manner you do.

If it's a comp or cpsa affiliated ground then I think cpsa rules stipulate only two cartridges to loaded into a semi at any one time.

Edited by rbrowning2

This :good:

If you can't make your gun safe, and you should do so like a robot whatever type of gun you're using, then you shouldn't be shooting anywhere near another person. Christ, you're only talking about an extra cartridge in this instance and 99% of semi-auto's lock open when the last cartridge is fired, so if the action is closed when you've shot you know you need to rack the action at least once before leaving the cage/stand, hardly rocket science. :oops:

No not rocket science probably just like keeping cage doors locked shut but the poor woman still got killed by a tigger, freak accidents happen mainly due to complacency.

Go to any clay ground and watch hard and it will not take you long to see somebody take safety for granted be that not breaking a sxs or uo when picking their gun up to walk to a stand or back from the stand or turn and start to leave a stand before a flag is inserted.

Fortunately accidents are very rare but only a few months ago somebody was killed at a clay ground a freak accident, google it.

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/man-accidentally-shot-dead-clay-11657582

Safety safety and safety .... Rant over.

Edited by rbrowning2

This is an interesting read as I was heckled last year at a stand (by the usual breed of person who does that sort of thing). "oi mate, you know you can put 3 shells in that thing, right?"

At the time I didn't think much of it, but the ground has since highlighted that its a max load of 2 at a stand. Even tho I'm neurotic about putting a flag in, I only load 2 and shoot pairs in case I get distracted\complacent.

No not rocket science probably just like keeping cage doors locked shut but the poor woman still got killed by a tigger, freak accidents happen mainly due to complacency.

Go to any clay ground and watch hard and it will not take you long to see somebody take safety for granted be that not breaking a sxs or uo when picking their gun up to walk to a stand or back from the stand or turn and start to leave a stand before a flag is inserted.

Fortunately accidents are very rare but only a few months ago somebody was killed at a clay ground a freak accident, google it.

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/man-accidentally-shot-dead-clay-11657582

Safety safety and safety .... Rant over.

Ur spot on and i quite agree that its the human not the gun itself that makes it dangerous.

And tignme sadly u are right, u often don't have to look to far to see poor/dangerous gun handiing on game shoots, personally i've found vermin days, fox hounds to be the worst of all. Seen some truely terrible/scary handling over the years, so bad i don't go to them nowadays

And with some very very experienced guns, which is the main reason i'm so anti SA's on game days (unless a medical reason) not because they're unsafe but too many dodgy guns as is having more SA's will only make things worse

But also quite often u see folk at clays walking about with closed guns too (and often they have the vests with all the patches too) so not all just unsafe game shots :whistling:

Must admit never been to a comp thou, wher ei'm sure is a far safer environment, althou it shouldn't make a difference

Ii also use a chainsaw a lot with work and have ticket for climbing so can use/buy a top handled saw legally (grey area i know)

For me a chainsaw and gun/rifle are similar, just a tool i use often that can be dangerous if u don't give them enough respect and be constantly thinking wot ur doing etc, And the SA is similar to a top handled saw, still has all the dangers of a normal saw/gun but its design just makes it easier to be unsafe (waving it about single handedly, poor balance increased risk of kick back even with 2 hands).

Nether a top handled or SA are unsafe in themselves if u follow best/safe practices and u just have to be clear on ur safety measures and can't take any short cuts, not that u should with normal guns/saws but the design makes it easier to be safe

I just feel if either top handled saws or SA's became more 'normalised' u'd see far more accidents that would/may have been avoidable with a break barrel, but it is still due to the owner.

I can see the sense in simon's post, but the problem is u can't reallt test true safe gun handling in a short course (possibly better than nowt thou) but sometimes folk can gain a ticket and think there gods gift and can now ignore everything and do wot they want/like

Must admit i honestly never knew u were only meant to use 2 shells at clays even in practice, personally it would not bother me how many shells u load (get 8/9 in if u want) as long as u come out with bolt open/flagged or shell case sideways in it and practice normal safe handling.between cages, all good

The Shooting Grounds rules are there for all to follow, if it says 2 and flag thems the rules.

My regular sunday morning shoot is not cpsa but really hot on the rules, open or bagged ou/sxs or flagged semi's only, you get told once if seen and banned for the second offence, and they encourage all the guns to be on the look out.

That said it's,a very friendly little shoot with very little bother.

The Shooting Grounds rules are there for all to follow, if it says 2 and flag thems the rules.

My regular sunday morning shoot is not cpsa but really hot on the rules, open or bagged ou/sxs or flagged semi's only, you get told once if seen and banned for the second offence, and they encourage all the guns to be on the look out.

That said it's,a very friendly little shoot with very little bother.The Shooting Grounds rules are there for all to follow, if it says 2 and flag thems the rules.

You are spot on re encourage all guns to be on the look out, which is why loading three cartridges reduces the collective ability to spot a potential problem, e.g you hear one shot but not a second so your alert to a potential problem, hear two shots and assume all good, few would think the persons gun could still be loaded and hence no longer alert to any potential safety issue.

Unless the shoot is designed for a semi requiring three shots then two is much safer and all that is required.

There is nothing inherently more dangerous about a SA shotgun as opposed to any other action at all. Why people seem intent on perpetuating this ridiculous myth is beyond me; I can only assume it is down to good old fashioned English snobbery.

The semi automatic or self loader action is one of the most popular and most widely used firearm mechanisms in the world.

The only time guns of any action can be called dangerous is when you add human intervention. I have seen dangerous gun use on many occasions, but usually at game shoots and always, without exception, by the owners of double ejectors. Many don't even know how to remove nor replace said guns from and to their slips without sweeping the muzzles through everyone stood within range.

I see guns with unslipped guns sat in trailers being driven to the next drive, all of whom can assure you their gun is empty, but none of whom would dare to point it at their feet and pull the trigger to prove it.

By all means, ensure to make safe your gun, but forget about the action, and for crying out loud forget about your safety, and instead concentrate on MUZZLE AWARENESS.

Guest cookoff013

i got yelled at for loading an auto with 2 shells.

this was to do with the manor on how i loaded them.

i closed the bolt, and put 2 underneath. i got yelled at for loading 3. i ejected 2 shells. i got yelled at again for "hiding the 3rd shot in the shotgun somewhere"

i then closed the empty guns bolt, and fed in 2 in the magazine. i got yelled at again. same thing again.

resulted in a slanging match, someone came over to investigate, i reloaded 2 just as i was carrying on and still they cried he`s got 3 in there.

i fired off my shells and the bolt stayed open on the 2nd shot, odd that.

i closed the bolt, and put 2 underneath. i got yelled at for loading 3. i ejected 2 shells. i got yelled at again for "hiding the 3rd shot in the shotgun somewhere"

i then closed the empty guns bolt, and fed in 2 in the magazine. i got yelled at again. same thing again.

resulted in a slanging match, someone came over to investigate, i reloaded 2 just as i was carrying on and still they cried he`s got 3 in there.

Yep, that's how I load the Benelli, sometimes. Have the blot shut on an empty chamber, load 2 cartridges into the mag, press the carrier-catch button to move 1 cartridge from the mag onto the carrier, then cycle the bolt to chamber it. Just a different way of doing things, but people get twitchy when they don't see one go into the ejection port, the blot closed and then one into the mag.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope he said how sorry he was for yelling at you and you pointed out he was a moron.

I don't take well to people yelling at me, especially idiots.

I must admit i was stirring/playing devils advocate here.

Obviously i don't shoot clays much or really like SA's, but intresting to think that even on a relatively safe place like a clay ground (where muzzle awarness is not quite so important when in the cage) people still have issues with SA safety.

I'm usually the sole voice who really does not agree with them on game/rough shooting days purely for the safety issue when the annual SA's on driven day thread comes round :whistling:.

I don't know why people tip toe around it, SA's are more dangerous than break barrel guns, its just a matter of design, so u have to be even more carefully with ur safety drills and muzzle awareness

Or atleast when in the hands of someone with dubious safety awareness they usually become even more off a liability

Any shotgun is dangerous in the wrong hands :yes: simples,BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that annoys me, are the people who seem to think that SA are more dangerous than OU, and insist on having two carts loaded, breach flag on show or even the gun slipped; but will then happily close their gun, leave it in the gun rack whilst waiting for their go and then pick it up with the muzzles pointing in any direction whilst they open then gun!!

I make a point of leaving my OU open and resting in the gun rack with the chambers on show pointing towards the ground - safe going in to the rack, safe coming out of the rack. People can visually see my gun isn't loaded at all times.

A SA with its bolt held open in a gun rack next to an OU which is closed - which is the safer gun...?

Dave.

The thing that annoys me, are the people who seem to think that SA are more dangerous than OU, and insist on having two carts loaded, breach flag on show or even the gun slipped; but will then happily close their gun, leave it in the gun rack whilst waiting for their go and then pick it up with the muzzles pointing in any direction whilst they open then gun!!

I make a point of leaving my OU open and resting in the gun rack with the chambers on show pointing towards the ground - safe going in to the rack, safe coming out of the rack. People can visually see my gun isn't loaded at all times.

A SA with its bolt held open in a gun rack next to an OU which is closed - which is the safer gun...?

Dave.

Both of them if they are empty as they should be!

I have 2x OU, SxS and an auto and I personally consider that autos are "potentially" more dangerous not necessarily for those of us that are experienced but in the hands of an inexperienced shooter. I treat every gun as if loaded and have shot for over fourty years but even I find handling the auto to be more of a challenge.

Dave I quite agree, there has to be some trust, years ago I asked someone to open his bolt on his slung Browning A5, there was a shell in the breech!

Incompetent idiot. As ips says, without genuine knowledge, there is the potential for a SA to be more dangerous, such as the example you gave. However, I just don't like the general consensus and stigma attached to SA users :/

For example (and completely theoretically speaking); there are five OUs in a rack all closed, with one space left. A SA user comes and closes his bolt as he places it in the rack... would people deem that to be more unsafe than the OUs? Because essentially, they're all in exactly the same state.

I would like to point out that on the odd occasion I use my SX3 on clays it has a breach flag inserted, both whilst walking and whilst in the gun rack. Also, I wouldn't normally ever express my opinion as I like to keep my 'head down' but this is one topic that does grate on me :lol:

Atb,

Dave :good:

Edited by WinchesterDave

I have to add that I have had OU and autos pointed at me and many years ago a whilst rough shooting a bloke I was talking to accidentally discharged a SxS within inches (literally) of my right foot. To this day I have no idea how he did that but ever since I don't trust any gun to be empty closed or open.

Oh and I once had a ref point a closed OU at me during a line of ABT whilst checking the gun following a misfire, flamin good job it wasn't a hang fire 😞