The late show.

JDog

Mightymariner and I met up at the 'salivating fields' yesterday at 2:30. Apart from a few pigeons feeding in tight to the field margins there was no other activity around these pea fields. We piddled around, keeping out of the sun for getting on for two hours until a few pigeons bagan to move. On the basis that 'it was a nice evening and we should give it an hour' we slogged across 400m of field and set up on two different lines maybe 300m apart.

There was very little wind and the strong sun was right in our faces. I was hot, Jasper was hot and the nettles and flies were a nuisance. However the first arrivals after a few minutes made it worthwhile. I had only taken five dead birds across the field but they did the trick and of the first group of three to come in two were added to the decoy pattern. Some birds decoyed and were shot at, others flew over the wood I had my back against and did not present a shooting opportunity.

MM was having a leaner time than I and I could see pigeons drifting behind his hide on their way to me. After an hour and a half I had to leave, dreading the uphill slog back to the car with heavy kit and 23 pigeons. After I had gone MM had some good shooting and reported seeing lines from a large wood heading all over the place well into the evening. We did well to shoot over forty pigeons in those conditions.

As a footnote to JDog's report. I stayed till about 7pm, and had the best part of the evening with birds flighting out of the woods in all directions, some to me, some elsewhere. Very enjoyable, and I really got into the swing of it when birds came on pretty strong with some shooting I was really happy with. A very hard slog back to the car, even though we had travelled light. I would upload a picture but I can't remember how.