An enlightened farmer.

JDog

Not quite sporting pictures but you get the picture as it were.

There is no chance of me shooting in this heat but there is no harm in looking. This morning I drove to a farm where there is usually one if not two fields of peas. Last year I took Mightymariner and Fenboy at different times to shoot there. Someone else also shoots there and that man leaves not only his cartridge cases but other rubbish all round his hide position. I hope to catch him one day.

The peas are now 100mm high and one corner of the field has been the attention of quire a few pigeons by the look of it. It may be good when the weather cools down and the winds increase.

I parked next to a strip of wild flowers as shown in the pictures. The area covered must have been 2ha. or thereabouts. Not only did it look a real treat but the sound of bees collecting pollen was almost deafening. This farmer deserves a medal for planting areas like this. Others would not give up a square inch or rather a square cm.

DSC07652_zpsq7q0rxfj.jpg

DSC07653_zps3nscsimd.jpg

now that is nice...........my farmer does similar with his CMS....but not to the standard and profusion as that...................you want to comment about that to him ...bet he would be dead chuffed to have someone comment on that............................im not a honey man...but i bet the bees make "some good stuff" around there.. :good:

made my day those pics

I was under the impression farmers got paid as an incentive to grow these strips. Rumour has these payments could stop as we come out of the EU, will be interesting to see if farmers still grow them after that.

I certainly hope so.

Only one word ... NICE!! About 12 yrs ago we planted some game strips using a very similar mix and the noise from the bees was incredible. When I planted my wood 20yrs ago I put a strip all around the outside the same effect. This year has been a good year for bumbles. I was about to settle in my shooting seat under a laurel bush to cover a feed area when I heard a buzzing, looked down and out from a disused rabbit hole came half a dozen 'BIG' bumbles, so decided to sit elsewhere. I bet that field is heaving with them, hope so. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Walker570

Excellent great pics, grand for a whole spectrum of wildlife.

Farmers used to get paid for acres of setaside, the powers that be came up with the idea of altering this to 1m around the outside of fields. Now bare in mind a large amount of agricultural chemicals cannot be used within 1m of water courses/dykes etc.

Nothing like paying for something you don't have too good old paper shufflers.......

Fantastic, I bet it looked stunning, it gives me a warm glow. I've turned a lawn out the front over to Oxeye daisies, not only is it beautiful in my eyes but we get no end of insects in there and then damselflies on the hunt as well. It's more work than grass but well worth it.

Edited by yod dropper

I was out sitting by the river a few evenings ago, wistfully waiting for the annual arrival of our sea trout, and my attention was drawn to two areas of pasture which were illuminated by the low, setting sun. One was a large, uncut pasture which had been set-aside for a silage cut in the near future, bereft of any flowering plants, and undoubtedly saturated in concentrated phosphate. The other, a narrow band of untouched wild meadow that had been left to nature for a number of years and was blossoming with a kaleidoscope of colour. In the diminishing light the differences between these two micro-ecosystems could not be more apparent. The meadow strip was almost biblical in its appearance, life abounding! Dancing ephemerella jostling for position in their aerial dance. Bumble bees of such numbers you could see the flower heads arcing over as they clumsily dropped onto the various heads. The air above the untouched strip was heaving with so many invertebrates it wasn't even possible to count the species never mind the totals, and I'm sure it was tenfold underneath. Meanwhile, in the silage meadow there was virtually nothing. It's almost as if nature had sanctioned her very own 'no fly zone' above the field and woe betide any individual who transgressed this unwritten rule. The depressing part about it - the barren grass meadow out-sized the untouched meadow by 100-1 easily. The sight was both glorious and utterly depressing in equal amounts.

Thanks for posting the picture, it really does warm the heart.

Edited by racing snake

• 2 weeks later...