Can I now be conciderd to be an air gun hunter

Harnser

Had a drive round the farm to see what was about . I had my hw 95 in the cab of my truck hoping for a shot or two at rats . I parked close to one of the grain stores ,wound down the passenger side window and waited to see if there were any rats about as I had seen them running about previously . I was just about to pour myself a cup of coffee when I saw a fairly young rat tip toeing along the concrete mantle out side the grain store . Raised the 95 ,got him in my sights and squeezed the trigger . He jumped a bout a foot in the air and was dead before he hit the ground . I decided to have a look inside the grain store and saw two more Rats sitting on a low ledge . I sighted on one of them and again squeezed the trigger ,another clean kill .by the time I had reloaded the other rat had legged it . I sat in the grain store for another hour but did not see another rest . I decided to have a drive round to see if there were any pigeons feeding anywhere and saw a young rabbit sitting close to the hedge row on a field of young barely ,up came the old 95 again and one stone dead rabbit . I was a little surprised to see that the pellets had passed all the way through both the rats and the rabbit . I then decided that it was time to go home . My first outing with an airgun and do you know what ? I throughly enjoyed it . I think that the 95 will live in the truck from now on .

Harnser

Can't beat an air rifle round the farm buildings, and you won't mind leaving it in the truck as you say.

Might do well to get a trigger lock though.

Our air rifle Mcnab used to be a rabbit squirrel and pigeon or magpie, has to be from same farm, think you could sub the squirrel for a rat.

Enjoy

Well and truly baptised!

As you've found there is something very satisfying about using an air rifle for vermin, its also great fun for a bit of casual plinking just for the sheer fun!

Now for some real vermin shooting? Stick up a white card at your zero range, put a blob of jam on it and shoot the flies as they land!

I think air rifles have a serious place in many aspects of vermin control and I think they are not regarded (by some) in high enough esteem. Modern air rifles are a world away from the stuff many of us had in our youth. The accuracy of all of my air rifles never cease to amaze me.

Anyway well done you 👍

Had a drive round the farm to see what was about . I had my hw 95 in the cab of my truck hoping for a shot or two at rats . I parked close to one of the grain stores ,wound down the passenger side window and waited to see if there were any rats about as I had seen them running about previously . I was just about to pour myself a cup of coffee when I saw a fairly young rat tip toeing along the concrete mantle out side the grain store . Raised the 95 ,got him in my sights and squeezed the trigger . He jumped a bout a foot in the air and was dead before he hit the ground . I decided to have a look inside the grain store and saw two more Rats sitting on a low ledge . I sighted on one of them and again squeezed the trigger ,another clean kill .by the time I had reloaded the other rat had legged it . I sat in the grain store for another hour but did not see another rest . I decided to have a drive round to see if there were any pigeons feeding anywhere and saw a young rabbit sitting close to the hedge row on a field of young barely ,up came the old 95 again and one stone dead rabbit . I was a little surprised to see that the pellets had passed all the way through both the rats and the rabbit . I then decided that it was time to go home . My first outing with an airgun and do you know what ? I throughly enjoyed it . I think that the 95 will live in the truck from now on .

Harnser

I think air rifles have a serious place in many aspects of vermin control and I think they are not regarded (by some) in high enough esteem. Modern air rifles are a world away from the stuff many of us had in our youth. The accuracy of all of my air rifles never cease to amaze me.

Anyway well done you

Welldone to both of you on your recent trips out with the air rifles.

Not having used an airgun since I was a boy I really did get involved on my first day out . It brought back some good memory's of yesteryear . I have never thought that air gunning was below par for shooting live game ,but had always used rim fires for pest control and didn't really see the need for an airgun . Since I have given up my FAC I know realise that there is another perfectly good way to control pests by shooting with an airgun . Using a rimfire one have to be careful where one shoot for obvious reasons .I would never have shot inside a barn or grain store with a rim fire but I felt compleatly confident shooting inside with the airgun . I think the airgun will now live in the truck and I look foreward to having another go . The next thing on my target list is a woodie proberbly taken from one of the mature oaks on the farm .

Harnser

You will be a true airgun hunter .when you have gone through the process of

First knowing very little and learning as much as you can .second stage .thinking now you know it all and your the best shot /hunter in the world . Third stage . (For some this never comes at all ) realising you actually know very little about wild animals and how they can suprise and confound you .... then your a real hunter with respect earnt in the fields and woods .this takes some years ,others come to it quicker

I feel a good gauge of a hunter (as opposed to a shooter ) is ..

On a hunt . How many shots did you decline instead of take .the hunter will decline more than the takes .

There should always be more reasons not to pull the trigger than to do so .

Safety .distance .wind .movement etc .

Not having used an airgun since I was a boy I really did get involved on my first day out . It brought back some good memory's of yesteryear . I have never thought that air gunning was below par for shooting live game ,but had always used rim fires for pest control and didn't really see the need for an airgun . Since I have given up my FAC I know realise that there is another perfectly good way to control pests by shooting with an airgun . Using a rimfire one have to be careful where one shoot for obvious reasons .I would never have shot inside a barn or grain store with a rim fire but I felt compleatly confident shooting inside with the airgun . I think the airgun will now live in the truck and I look foreward to having another go . The next thing on my target list is a woodie proberbly taken from one of the mature oaks on the farm .

Harnser

we need an update...............when you do some rat shooting... :good:

Harnser

hello, watch out harnser it can become quite addictive, next it will be a PCP, i have been rat shooting on my friends farm for 10 years first with a cheapy 22 chinese springer now a top end multi shot PCP with night vision in winter, am down on farms quality assurance as pest controller. just to add this year has seen a marked increase in rat numbers, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Now finding myself reading all the posts in the air gun section . Never used to bother before because I didn't really have any interest in air guns . My biggest fear is that this new interest could turn out to be very expensive . One quick word for whitebridges , Nige it looks like you will be needing another gun cabinet .

Harnser

Now finding myself reading all the posts in the air gun section . Never used to bother before because I didn't really have any interest in air guns . My biggest fear is that this new interest could turn out to be very expensive . One quick word for whitebridges , Nige it looks like you will be needing another gun cabinet .

Harnser

hello harnser, yes some good PW members on the airgun section, i am also on the UK airgun forum ? a few **** heads but well worth a look on anything air weapons and night vision

Harnser

dont encouage him.....he wants a shoot out and pub lunch....his BSA stutzen again' your new fangled machine..............he has already got a Merc S "on order" so he can try and get the better of me................

that new air rifle is always around the corner....cash yer Isers in boi ... :lol: ..(not havin any Isers i wouldnt know how to spell 'em....i have to make do wiv ole and me downs.. :sad1: )

still must'nt grumble..

Edited by ditchman

dont encouage him.....he wants a shoot out and pub lunch....his BSA stutzen again' your new fangled machine..............he has already got a Merc S "on order" so he can try and get the better of me................

that new air rifle is always around the corner....cash yer Isers in boi ... :lol: ..(not havin any Isers i wouldnt know how to spell 'em....i have to make do wiv ole and me downs.. :sad1: )

still must'nt grumble..

hello ditchman, oh well i wont say another word, yes i will about your great posts on anything mechanical and other, keep up the good work, any more oldy air rifles in mind? will keep a look out down in the VALE.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

You're on the steps harnster, next is spotting a raddit/squizzer at 60y and stalking to within 25-35y to get a clean kill. That's the difference between a hunter and a shooter.

Self restraint is needed as you walk past a gun shop, you'll be looking for a tcp and nv unit next.