Crow shooting.

Paulw3012

Hi there.

I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction as I just want confirmation that what I've learnt is true.

Im employed at a school in the country and they've approached me to rid them of crows as its over run.

I have a shotgun licence plus gun and liability insurance,am I right in thinking that all I require is a letter from them granting permission?

Additionally am I free to shoot the crows or is there some sort of protection or law regarding this?

I would appreciated any feedback.

Many thanks

Paul

Whilst shooting crows at the school, if I where you I'd need a letter of consent, as your local education authorities might just have a different view, if you go ahead I would also make sure the local police station is informed bearing in mind it's a school you will be shooting at.

As E.W Says, get written consent and keep it on you when there, also notify your firearms dept. By email and with response from them okaying it would be benifitial to you, again have that printed out and on you. I would expect you to get challenged by some people and potentially calls to the police saying armed person on school grounds.

Yes, I was about to suggest maybe baiting them into a suitable quiet spot. Set up a good hide or purchase pop up blind (see teepee at Buscraft)and then use an air rifle with silencer, no bangs to annoy residents. Doubtful anyone will have a clue your there other than the school staff and STILL local police just in case they do get a call. Pity your a long way away or you could borrow my TeePee for a morning. That is another point. It is light now very early. Crows unlike pigeons usually move as soon as it starts to get light. so a good time to ambush them, get set up whilst it is still dark. NOW, you must understand, you must not enjoy yourself whilst doing it. :-)

Fortunately its a private school so not answerable to local education authority.

More reason to do the deed very early morning whilst everyone is still in dream land.

I have done some vermin control in some very interesting places from ponds in public parks in broad daylight for the RSPCA local officer, to the playing field of a major football team. Planning, paperwork, correct tool for the job and common sense and as said 'keenie meenie' approach and no one is the wiser.

Edited by Walker570

Sadly not too deep I'm afraid as I would only be using it a couple of times a year.

Then my suggestion of baiting in close to a good camoed hide will mean you don't need a super dooper all singing all dancing air rifle.

As long as it shoots accurately and has the penetration necessary at the yardage ... job done.

Ladder trap in a discreet location,then pop back out of school hours for the despatch

Search ladder trap on here for build info etc,not too costly and can be used yearly,plus the big bonus is it still works when your not around, win win they can be very effective.

Remember to leave one bird alive as a call bird,and make sure it has food and water,and you check the trap frequently.

Edited by Bluebarrels

I had a similar problem as you, shooting rooks near farm houses. I purchased a Hushpower 12g. Have you considered a hushpower with subsonic cartridges? That way you get a 12g, 20g or 4.10 semi shotgun as they hold 3 cartridges (they come in all those gages) with the quietness of a .22LR or air rifle....They are £550 brand new but look on gun trader or other sites and you can pick a good second hand one for £200 which is cheaper than an air rifle with all the attachments?!?

I don't live too far away from you, if you want me to pop over with it and you have ago with it and see for yourself. I'm Abingdon way.....

Hope this helps

ATB

Lloydi

Edited by lloydi73