Pinewood would like to see rotarys banned

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is whats said.Its all about the decline in pigeon numbers.

Predicting disaster for pigeons unless shooters practice self-restraint.He blames greedy shooters making huge bags of young birds on summer stubles with the aid of rotary decoys.I,d like to see them banned like in france and Scandinavia

This shortage of pigeons must be very regional, I am not noticing a shortage in my area.

This sounds like Deakos crusade for a pigeon shooting close season, under a different guise.

If rotarys should be banned, what about all the other motorised gear?

cranners move further east then! Can't get enough of them around ramsgate/sarre. Annoyingly enough I am just missing the tool for the job, a shotgun :good:

Predicting disaster for pigeons unless shooters practice self-restraint.He blames greedy shooters making huge bags of young birds on summer stubles with the aid of rotary decoys.I,d like to see them banned like in france and Scandinavia

Pigeons are pest so a decline in numbers means we must be doing a good job, i'll try telling the farm manager i'm going to practice self-restraint and se wot he has to say to that :good::lol::oops:

What decline in numbers? Decline in numbers shot because we can't nail any number down in one spot? Decline in bags from comparable times of year in years where the weather wasn't at all like this?

People who make comments like that, especially those who sell the damn things, make me mad.

I bet he still sells them at harvest time to anyone who wants one :good: Ok, doesn't prove anything, but if you are going to shout your mouth off, then at least assume people might call you out on it :lol:

Agricultural pest, less about = better. We don't like less numbers, but that's what we have all been aiming for, right? Yes its great sport, but you can't keep increasing the number of guns without having an impact :oops:

Do people really think there are less pigeon?

I think they are thriving, but they have had so much choice they have not needed to flock up.

I see loads of healthy pigeon all over the place, just not what a pigeon decoyer wants too see :good:

I think they are thriving, but they have had so much choice they have not needed to flock up.

I see loads of healthy pigeon all over the place, just not what a pigeon decoyer wants too see :lol:

I am still getting good bags of pigeons i think there are loads about here but with more choice of crops there

are harder to get at. take the rape on the estate i shoot they have planted 3 or 4 times as much as they did

about 10 years ago so its a lot harder to get at them they just move on to another field. but we still get lucky from time to time :good:

I see loads of healthy pigeon all over the place, just not what a pigeon decoyer wants too see :oops:

:lol: that hits the nail on the head :good:

There are certainly as many Pigeons about now as there has ever been in my area, and I've been shooting them for nearly 40 years.. :good::lol:

Their feeding habits have changed over that period, there are also far more birds now breeding and living solely in an urban environment, that never bother to visit a rape or stubble field.

As for shooting them to extinction using a rotary, I can't see that happening, I've watched a lot of other "Pigeon Shooters" over recent years, all using rotary's, and most of them couldn't hit a cow's **** with a shovel at 2 paces, let alone bring down a Pigeon in flight. A lot of them don't even know where to put the rotary, so that most birds are coming in and then veering off whilst still out of range.

No, the biggest threat to the Pigeon population is prolonged snow cover, most of those reading this will not know what that means, I can remember the big freeze up in 1962, (just about :oops: ), it started snowing on Boxing Day and that snow remained on the ground until Good Friday, think about that, it was cold, and the Pigeon population was decimated.

Cat.

Yo Cat.

i quite agree with some of your comments.

Their feeding habits have changed over that period,

Cat.

and due to this fact the Shooter needs to change his ways and adapt to the changes of pigeons habits; of which I feel are mainly due to the weather changes we are now experiencing.

Yo Cat.

i quite agree with some of your comments.

As for shooting them to extinction using a rotary, I can't see that happening, I've watched a lot of other "Pigeon Shooters" over recent years, all using rotary's, and most of them couldn't hit a cow's **** with a shovel at 2 paces, let alone bring down a Pigeon in flight. A lot of them don't even know where to put the rotary, so that most birds are coming in and then veering off whilst still out of range.

Cat.

I agree wholeheartedly and it is not just the positioning of the magnet in the decoy pattern but KNOWING when to put it out and when to bring it in.

And definitely some pigeon shooter's need a few trips to the local clay club for some practice. (mentioning no names)

:good:

Dave K

This is what roland Puddifoot,The man that owns pinewood, said in this months sporting shooter,for someone who sells them i think its a bit hypercritial,mind you at there prices.

Good sales pitch though. :good::lol::oops:

Another good sales pitch. :oops::lol::lol:

There are certainly as many Pigeons about now as there has ever been in my area, and I've been shooting them for nearly 40 years.. :good::lol:

Their feeding habits have changed over that period, there are also far more birds now breeding and living solely in an urban environment, that never bother to visit a rape or stubble field.

No, the biggest threat to the Pigeon population is prolonged snow cover, most of those reading this will not know what that means, I can remember the big freeze up in 1962, (just about :oops: ), it started snowing on Boxing Day and that snow remained on the ground until Good Friday, think about that, it was cold, and the Pigeon population was decimated.

Cat.

I agree although fortunately I cannot remember 1962 :oops:

Plenty of pigeons round here, but with the proliferation of food and funny weather they pick and choose at their leisure.

There is one field I shoot which is the acid test - it is a flight line on a field on the side of the M25 - I will report back towards the end of Summer.

This is what roland Puddifoot,The man that owns pinewood, said in this months sporting shooter,for someone who sells them i think its a bit hypercritial,mind you at there prices.

Good sales pitch though. :good::lol::oops:

Another good sales pitch. :oops::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: I found it quite bizarre how someone who sells decoy gear wants to see it banned and impose close season blah blah blah. I think Cranfield hit the nail on the head on page 1.

Spot on.

how can he say pigeons are in decline, everyone knows that theres thousands int he parks and suberbs. i know they are. i dare say that lots of people use the rotary to boost there bags fair enough, you still cant replace field craft. (i think 500 odd by coats with dead birds proves that and i think digweed came close on rape without a magnet). but i expect he'd want them banned and a close season so in the summer he can take out people as a guide and shoot many more in a day then some of us shoot in a year. so then if we have a close season when? april-june? so thats the pea farmers out of business. i think us shooters have enough rules and regulations we have to abide by without a fellow sportsman adding more.

Sounds similar to the old Ratner story when Gerald R said they sold ****. Guess we'll be seeing soon that Pinewood have gone out of business :stupid: Not a good idea to **** in your own backyard!

Sounds similar to the old Ratner story when Gerald R said they sold ****. Guess we'll be seeing soon that Pinewood have gone out of business :stupid: Not a good idea to **** in your own backyard!

They do say that 'bad publicity' is better than NO publicity. But it does seem a bit odd.