Pinewood would like to see rotarys banned

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so buy one now, and have fun befor they get banned,

No chance when does this noncence stop how far are people going to go that is sometimes the most important bit of kit in your bag if not the most. Thats just like saying you cant use deecks because they are to much of an advantage after all they are just decoys at the end of the day just like any other. Pigeon are PESTS and they need to be controled if that means using everything you can to get rid of them so be it people that want to say things like that just want to get noticed its all just small talk and a pain in the ****. :good:

Speaking of publicity, it was really good to see the forum being quoted in print. Cranfield, do you have any plans to make that a regular thing? I was thinking about it at the weekend and having a monthly "pigeons shot" figure from the forum in print would be pretty cool.

Wookie

Speaking of publicity, it was really good to see the forum being quoted in print. Cranfield, do you have any plans to make that a regular thing? I was thinking about it at the weekend and having a monthly "pigeons shot" figure from the forum in print would be pretty cool.

Wookie

I don't read the magazine and have only seen that article that was emailed to me.

They did have a feature called Pigeon Watch, that showed photographs of pigeon bags and awarded a couple of prizes for the best pics.

If thats what you are referring to, its nothing to do with this Pigeon Watch.

If there was another reference to us, I haven't seen it.

My thoughts on this are varied.

The Pinewood rotary is excellent, but over priced, therefore I guess that his sales of rotarys set against those of the £60 game faire wonders, are probably not meeting his expectations. So getting them banned would stop his competitors from selling what he may be struggling to sell, and loosing the associated add on sales that follow.

There are numerous safe havens for pigeons which are never shot, so I feel that the future of the woodie is secure.

No compitent pigeon shooter will set up unless there are sufficient birds to make it worth his time, and the birds are causing damage to crops in the area. Therefore the number of shot pigeon regulates its self to a large degree.

Most shooters take their holidays in the summer months, therefore I guess that the number of guns out is reduced anyway.

It has been widley reported that woodies are breeding 3 to 4 broods a year, and the abundance of available food continues to increase. The population is wild, and free to move around, therefore one mans fiest is another mans famine.

One thing however is for certain. The shooters in UK are facing many obsticles from various directions. The last thing that we need is our suppliers making, and publishing illfounded and under researched opinions. I for one shall not willingly purchase Pinewoods products in the future.

Should the woodie population fall into serious decline I am sure that shooters would react acordingly, along the lines of the Grey Partridge, without pressure from any quango or self appointed industry expert.

Do we know what BASC has to say about this?

webber

Puddiphutt? what is he a hobbit or something.

Shootings been **** here. Havent set up in weeks, apart from a bit of flightline shooting. Plenty of birds about in woodland and hedgerows nesting, but no flocks,those that are about arent staying around when disturbed.

This is whats said.Its all about the decline in pigeon numbers.

Predicting disaster for pigeons unless shooters practice self-restraint.He blames greedy shooters making huge bags of young birds on summer stubles with the aid of rotary decoys.I,d like to see them banned like in france and Scandinavia

It is my opinion that since the early noughties, when everyone and his dog finally got themselves a rotary, less pigeons have actually been shot, they've only been scared away.

Some of the opportunistic dipsticks (can't call em decoyers) up here in the north that I had the misfortune to observe, were sat in a field near their new rotary and could'nt shoot for toffee or in their inexperience were pulling the trigger much too early, if that has been repeated all over the arable kingdom it's no wonder all the woodies have gone gun shy and found alternative menus!

Needless to say, all of the so-called desireable decoying devices currently in the market place are becoming a joke :lol: At any game fair nowadays gunmakers row has become a battery driven side show and the rush by youknowwhowarehouse and ivordecoy.conu etc etc to develope something different and up stage the other is now utterly farcicle but many of you guys reading this post will still be buying the damned things thinking they are the bees knees, that is until you've put 'em to the test :blush:

Woodpigeon decoying is an art and whether you use dead birds or plastic, rotary or bouncer it's all wasted if you ain't got no skill in the field, don't have the ability to shoot well and don't know which day you should be out there ;)

Confucious he say:

Hennyone can lay blicks but no evweyone is good enough to be blickie ???

Cheerio, CB

Sporting bird!!!!!!........ I assume you mean vermin that we can have sport with.

I personaly think as the person who made the very first Pigeon Magnets that they should be banned during the summer months. Remember that Pigeons are a sporting bird. Farmers now get the single farm payments etc which are worth more than the crops they grow.

I personaly think as the person who made the very first Pigeon Magnets that they should be banned during the summer months. Remember that Pigeons are a sporting bird. Farmers now get the single farm payments etc which are worth more than the crops they grow.

YEA RIGHT M8 YOU TRY TO TELL FARMERS THAT DOWN HERE ,THEY ARE A PEST IF YOU SEEN THE CROP DAMAGE HERE THEN YOU WOULD THINK AGAIN AND IF YOU SHOOT ALOT OF WOODIES YOU WOULD KNOW THAT OTHER PEOPLE WOULD BE VERY ANGRY THAT A PIGEON SHOOTER WOULD SAY SUTCH A THING SO I DONT THINK SO MATE :thumbs: :good: <_<HO AND ARE U A ONE OF THOSE DO GOODERS

Remember that Pigeons are a sporting bird.

care to elaborate please.

I personaly think as the person who made the very first Pigeon Magnets that they should be banned during the summer months

100 notes says you sold em thought in the summer months.

now you probebly dont sell em so you want em banned.

whats the word i am looking for...........................................

Remember that Pigeons are a sporting bird.

care to elaborate please.

I personaly think as the person who made the very first Pigeon Magnets that they should be banned during the summer months

100 notes says you sold em thought in the summer months.

now you probebly dont sell em so you want em banned.

whats the word i am looking for...........................................

since when have they been a sporting bird they are classed as vermin (pheasants & partridge are example of sporting birds ) :D:lol:

Could it be TWO FACED :lol: :thumbs: :good:

There are certainly as many Pigeons about now as there has ever been in my area, and I've been shooting them for nearly 40 years.. :good::D

Cat.

:thumbs: Cat are you really THAT old? :lol: Must be in the veterans class then?

Well, Highlander, all I can say is that remember the seriously bad winter of '62, when the pigeons were literally starving to death, don't forget that there was no rape being grown then, all of the birds in my area flocked on to a field of kale, and believe me, they were so hungry, they simply wouldn't lift off when they were fired at, they were so weak, it was sad to see, thankfully we don't get winters like that anymore..!!

Cat.

However, you still offer guided shooting for pigeons, throughout the summer.

Extract from your website;

"Safari in Scotland Pigeon shooting year begins in February and runs through until the end of September."

Why nor suspend summer shooting, if you feel so strongly ?

This is whats said.Its all about the decline in pigeon numbers.

Predicting disaster for pigeons unless shooters practice self-restraint.He blames greedy shooters making huge bags of young birds on summer stubles with the aid of rotary decoys.I,d like to see them banned like in france and Scandinavia

It is my opinion that since the early noughties, when everyone and his dog finally got themselves a rotary, less pigeons have actually been shot, they've only been scared away.

Some of the opportunistic dipsticks (can't call em decoyers) up here in the north that I had the misfortune to observe, were sat in a field near their new rotary and could'nt shoot for toffee or in their inexperience were pulling the trigger much too early, if that has been repeated all over the arable kingdom it's no wonder all the woodies have gone gun shy and found alternative menus!

Needless to say, all of the so-called desireable decoying devices currently in the market place are becoming a joke :lol: At any game fair nowadays gunmakers row has become a battery driven side show and the rush by youknowwhowarehouse and ivordecoy.conu etc etc to develope something different and up stage the other is now utterly farcicle but many of you guys reading this post will still be buying the damned things thinking they are the bees knees, that is until you've put 'em to the test :good:

Woodpigeon decoying is an art and whether you use dead birds or plastic, rotary or bouncer it's all wasted if you ain't got no skill in the field, don't have the ability to shoot well and don't know which day you should be out there :lol:

Confucious he say:

Hennyone can lay blicks but no evweyone is good enough to be blickie :lol:

Cheerio, CB

:thumbs: Wise words CE :D

LB

I crossed swords with hunterswind many moons ago, and vowed never to use his services. However, I think that we could all agree that the woodpigeon is a serious agricultural pest, which offers some sporting shots.

Dont forget that the open general license that allows us to shoot woodies. requires the pigeon to be damaging crops in the area. Shooting them for sport is not mentioned.

Hunterswind may wish to reconsider his statement?

I believe that the first rotorys were not invented by hinterswind. They were developed decades before, but were clockwork. This is referred to on a much earlier post years ago, when one turned up on ebay.

webber

Bet that there will be regulations on woodpigeon shooting very soon.

How do I know ? lets just say a little bird told me :-)

speculation, a good guess, or do you know things that a chap from the basc on this very forum knows nothing about. (allegedly) if you do know , would it not be in everyones interest to spill the beans. forwarned is forearmed.

Nope Woodpigeons are a sporting bird thats why people pay huge sums of money to shoot them !!!!!!

Bet that there will be regulations on woodpigeon shooting very soon.

How do I know :lol:? lets just say a little bird told me :-)

Hunterswind ( are you the man who sold and advertised the 'Richardson Wirleys' in 90/91 ? )

Don't worry mate I know exactly what you mean - whilst woodpigeons are currently a pest species - they offer wonderful sporting shooting opportunities. That is why we all persue them, if they were Collared Doves we would'nt bother, in point of fact there would not even be this forum!!

The trouble is Hunterswind, that all these so-called pigeon guides are taking these sporting opportunities from UK resident shooters and selling them to UK visitors for vast cash profits ( £150.00 + per gun per day ?) - I wonder if the Inland Revenue knows about this practise?

Guides are spoiling our shooting they should be abolished.

No, I don't like the idea of my pigeons being shot by some trigger happy eyetie with no respect for songbirds or by some bloody yank with the bumper sticker 'If It Flys It Dies' and I for one hope that if regulations do come they come to the 'so-called pigeon guides' :lol:

Cheerio. :~}

You could provide the shooting for free, and sell the amunition. I could think of several ways around such a ruling.

It beggars belief that hunterswind can claim to have knowledge of impending legislation, or a differing interpretation of existing law, when nothing has been flagged up by any of the magazines or associations.

Perhaps we should be humbled to have such a VIP in our midst, or is he a master of oxometrics?

webber