Pinewood would like to see rotarys banned

I hope it works retospectively as Hunterswind has happily taken money for it and is now doing a runner.

Well done that man, screw it up for the rest of us but be happy in the fact you have made a few bob out of it. Two faced is rather kind in this instance, I can think of many other adjectives that would have stuart p killing two topics in one day.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Deako was saying exactly the same thing earlier this year and even suggested that Mr Puddifoot and John Batley were lobbying the BASC for a close season.

Our friend from the BASC denied all knowledge, but Deako suggested that JohnSwift head honcho at the BASC knew all about it.

Don't forget Deako was saying exactly the same thing earlier this year and even suggested that Mr Puddifoot and John Batley were lobbying the BASC for a close season.

I find it hard to beleive that those two would stoop to that, especially John Batley, but THEN he is/was chairman of the BASC Woodpigeon Working Group AND when he worked for Holland and Holland he was also a part time pigeon guide in Hereford, I bet he earned some dosh from taking out foreign visitors and clients from H/H but he did'nt have that big an area and when the pigeons moved he took a full time job - Chairman of the Gun Trade - of course he can talk the talk and still does work for the BASC lecturing at Woodpigeon Decoying Seminars.

You know guys for an everyday downtoearth resident common pest species the poor old stoggie really has a following, don't you think, the magazines are full of stories about it, how when where to shoot it, the guides, the clubs, the websites, game(butchers shops)dealers, engineers, plastic moulders, painters, even battery manufacturers are making money out of it.

FLOCKING HELL WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT THE HUMBLE WOODPIGEON?

I am getting bad vibes about this close season thing - I can see the BASC doing the dirty on us here - they were partly to blame for the lead ban in England.

CB :{

Maybe your pet basc man might be able to explain the law precisely as to weather it is lawful to.

1 shoot pigeons for sport.

2 sell (guide) pigeon shooting to paying clients.

3 Shoot pigeons over stubbles when not doing any damage.

Cheers Andy R

Ps will the explanation be an official BASC response OR not ?? then we will see if the plot thickens !!!!!!!!!!!!

As I understand it from a confidential industry sourse, certain persons have tried to introduce a close season for woodies. To that end they have councelled opinion and support from the pigeon shooting trade and have held a meeting with BASC.

It is also my understanding that BASC requested factual evidense, of which there is little.

Can any of our ornithologists, shed any light on the recent and previous census carried out by the British Ornithological Trust (I think)

I wonder if Hunterswind & Co are intimating that there is no longer a need for the open general license that has been the foundation of our woodie shooting for years.

It may be time for these people to nail their colours to the mast. Pigeon shooters can then decide if they wish to avail themselves of certain guides services for geese, deer etc, given that they wish to upset the statusquo for the ordinary shooter.

webber

Sounds like some individuals with a vested interest want to re-write the definition of "vermin" for personal gain.

Have we got any people / organisations out there that run squirrel shooting holidays and who are becoming concerned at the reduced number of grey squirrels?

I really don't see how pigeon numbers can be declining,just shifting around the country.

We have averaged 99 pigeon per day outing so far this summer.

Four years ago I shot 850 birds from one field of peas over the summer.This year it is peas again and so far has yielded 615.I am sure we will get at least 800 again.

If anyone tries to get a close season for pigeon,it will not end there.Leave things well alone.

I also can't see how the BTO can count woodies anyway.Load 'o rollocks.

Hi all,

The wording of the Open General license is very clear and pigeons can only be shot as pests. If you are stopped and asked why you are shooting pigeons and you say 'for sport' I think you will find yourself on thin ice!

You do not have to prove that a pigeon you have shot was causing damage at the time you shot it.

As for paid for pigeon guides , this is a gray area, it is not clear if selling pigeon shooting sits within the spirit of the law, and this had not been tested in Court yet. If a farmer paid someone to control pests that that is a different matter- farmers and home owners etc will pay for pest control, be it mice, rats, rabbits, cockroaches, bees ants and so on and there are no legal problems with that.

If I find anything else out about selling pigeon shooting I will let you know-buy starting a new thread if that is OK with you all.

Just to clarify two points that I picked up from some of the posts:

1. BASC are NOT lobbying for a closed season - yes we have had a letter from someone suggesting that we should. However as we wrote back to that person, to lobby for a closed season would be dangerous- closed seasons tend to be based on breeding seasons - pigeons can, and do, breed for about 11 months of the year. If a closed season came in it would prevent crop protection and stored foodstuff protection and none of us would want that!

2. BASC were not partly to blame for the ban on lead shot! Where is your evidence? Are you just churning out hearsay?

Lead is a poison - it has been removed from paint (Do you blame the Paint manufacturers Association for that?) , petrol, (Do you blame the AA and RAC for that?)fishing weights, (Do you blame the NFA for that?)water pipes (Do you blame the Water Research Council for that?) and so on. When lead shot accumulates over wetlands it can be ingested by ducks for example and cause poisoning of that bird. So depositing lead shot over wetlands was banned - what would be your alternative?

Best wishes

David

Maybe your pet basc man might be able to explain the law precisely as to weather it is lawful to.

1 shoot pigeons for sport.

2 sell (guide) pigeon shooting to paying clients.

3 Shoot pigeons over stubbles when not doing any damage.

Cheers Andy R

Ps will the explanation be an official BASC response OR not ?? then we will see if the plot thickens !!!!!!!!!!!!

If I didn't think you were the biggest troll on the site I would find it laughable that you, a professional "guide", wouldn't know the answer to at least 1 & 3.

But you are the biggest troll, goodbye :D

The wording of the Open General license is very clear and pigeons can only be shot as pests. If you are stopped and asked why you are shooting pigeons and you say 'for sport' I think you will find yourself on thin ice!

1. BASC are NOT lobbying for a closed season - yes we have had a letter from someone suggesting that we should. However as we wrote back to that person, to lobby for a closed season would be dangerous- closed seasons tend to be based on breeding seasons - pigeons can, and do, breed for about 11 months of the year. If a closed season came in it would prevent crop protection and stored foodstuff protection and none of us would want that!

2. BASC were not partly to blame for the ban on lead shot! Where is your evidence? Are you just churning out hearsay?

David

OK David

I take your point about lead shot and I've no wish to start a new thread on that because it will open up old wounds - enough said.

We on this site ( I hope) know exactly why we are all shooting pigeons.

Don't worry about the legal side regarding 'guides' we could'nt care less, if they go then good shuttance to 'em, but please lets not go down that road yet.

It is the talk about a close season that worries me, the more it is talked about the more chance the anti-brigade WILL follow it up, even if a close season would be totally un-neccessary, as it would be now!

For the benefit of any anti reading this post - woodpigeons imposed their own close season last winter by staying away from the guns, but they will be lifting it in a week or two!!

Cheerio, CB.