Kennel's size. Can they be too big?

scotslad

Alright folks.

In the lucky situation to be about to build a new kennel block, been thinking about this now for a couple of years and finally getting round to marking out the founds.

My plans in my head are 5runs 1.5m wide by 3?m long and the shed built on to them for the sleeping boxes, puppy run/whelping area, feed, sink and dog shower, log burner and general storage

So 7.5m long in total, but i can't decide how wide to make it?

I could probably cope with 3m wide which is a long narrow shape or do i go the extra m wider to 4m, which makes it look massive

My present boxes are 800mm wide and i think that is about normal for the bought 1's too for Lab ish sized dogs, and the shower comes in another 700 the other side. So leaving me with about 1500 space in middle at narrowest, (thinking about a 1.2m door so i can get a quad in for safe storage).

I just can't helping thinking for the little materials and time involved i could go that extra meter

I know it seems excessive but my last lot of kennels where just add on and bodged to the last set of add on bodged kennels, just want to build a decent set to start of with.and give he dog some comfort

I have plenty space and will be building them all myself so really the only extra costs are xtra insulate tin for roof and concrete

Any advice from folk who have built kennels inthe past?

If your on fb there's a kennel setup page on there, good to have a look

Is it open to anyone?

I don't really do faceache but ave got a page or wot ever u call it, did try to look at some kennel page but was locked group or is there more than 1 group?

Or do u need to be recommneded to get in?

At moment the run size should easy be enough for 2 dogs in each run if i needed.

Its more the size of the internal shed building.

Also does anyone know much about the best way to weather proof the building?

Will be built with 4" solid blocks so will need something, is rendering a much better way than simply painting/sealing (never really rendered before, would have a go if a superior finish)

Is it open to anyone?

I don't really do faceache but ave got a page or wot ever u call it, did try to look at some kennel page but was locked group or is there more than 1 group?

Or do u need to be recommneded to get in?

At moment the run size should easy be enough for 2 dogs in each run if i needed.

Its more the size of the internal shed building.

Also does anyone know much about the best way to weather proof the building?

Will be built with 4" solid blocks so will need something, is rendering a much better way than simply painting/sealing (never really rendered before, would have a go if a superior finish)

I think you need to join, no problem in that. By the sounds of it your kennel will be more than big enough. Mine will be 1.5m wide by 3m long with cabins inside that, housing 2 spaniels. Personally I would go for the rendered finish.

I think you need to join, no problem in that. By the sounds of it your kennel will be more than big enough. Mine will be 1.5m wide by 3m long with cabins inside that, housing 2 spaniels. Personally I would go for the rendered finish.

Cheers kev.

How do u join thou? I did send away a joining thing but never heard back.

Dunno if u have to be reccommended or something, never joined a thing of face book before