Game cartridges

Hello,

So I have been beatin for a couple of years now and thought it was time to get myself a gun. I treat my self to a browning 525 game 28inch 12gauge.

I am on a small DIY shoot, mostly driven but the odday rough walked drive.

Anyways back to the subject, I am wanting to know what cartridges you guys are using. I was thinking of trying out some of these, what is your opinions.

Eley hawk zenith

hull high pheasant extreme

Game bore dark storm

game bore black gold.

All the best

TB

What load size do you use, I was thinking 32g 5

TB

He does different loads but i have 32g 5s and 30g 6s.Have used plenty on the pigeons too and no issues.

For all the different kinds ive used results dont seem to differ really so now its more a price thing.

Eley hawk zenith

Game bore dark storm

game bore black gold.

All the best

TB

All the above are top of the range and you do pay for it.

For someone just starting on a mixed diy driven/rough shoot, most would suggest 32g no6 fibre cartridge.

Personally I would use 28g Whitegold No7.5 fibre clay cartridge (actually an english no7) which will do the job.

Stick an improved choke and a half choke in and they will drop pheasants and smaller within 40 yards if you are on target.

Any of the carts you mentioned will certainly do the job but if it is your first gun and your on a small shoot, with not terribly high birds there are plenty of cheaper carts about the cheapest and the one I was most impressed with came from a company called Trust they were 32G 5's. I had a cracking day with them, it could just have been my lucky day but I felt they suited my gun ( Browning 525 30" MC) and killed cleanly at some good distances. I got these for £5.25 a box at the end of January. as Sako mentioned above Proper cartridges are very good and at a good price I have some 32G 5's and 6's and they do a very good job, but at the end of the day shop around your local dealers and see what they have for the best price at the time.

good luck

Hello,

So I have been beatin for a couple of years now and thought it was time to get myself a gun. I treat my self to a browning 525 game 28inch 12gauge.

I am on a small DIY shoot, mostly driven but the odday rough walked drive.

Anyways back to the subject, I am wanting to know what cartridges you guys are using. I was thinking of trying out some of these, what is your opinions.

Eley hawk zenith

Game bore dark storm

game bore black gold.

All the best

TB

Like most others have said above, any of those or others will do the job. Gain confidence with a cartridge and stick with it. Although I have used (to good effect) cartridges from Rio, Proper, Eley, Gamebore, RC etc etc I still find that my cartridge of choice is Hull Imperial, purely because I have great confidence in them through my guns.

As a matter of interest, and from a purely personal point of view, I thought the Hull High Pheasant to be a fine cartridge but found the High Pheasant Extreme to be deeply, deeply unpleasant to shoot (so much so that I traded 3 of the 4 slabs for Comp X clay cartridges!)

As most of the above, buy what's available locally. Presumably your diy shoot wont be presenting particularly high birds so I would go 30g 6s. I wouldn't worry to much about cost either because your not going to be shooting hundreds per day (if its anything like our syndicate shoot a pocket full if your lucky)

I used to only shoot 32g 5 high pheasant extremes until I decided to try some hull superfast pigeon loads. There a 29g 6, I shoot a mixture of days from walked up to driven to a few high let days and I'm really taken by them but you'll have to buy them in summer as they stop production during the season so people buy the more expensive imperials.

As most of the above, buy what's available locally. Presumably your diy shoot wont be presenting particularly high birds so I would go 30g 6s. I wouldn't worry to much about cost either because your not going to be shooting hundreds per day (if its anything like our syndicate shoot a pocket full if your lucky)

That's why I am looking at these cartridges. What do you use your self?

TB

No disrespect to OP but it just shows how people are being manipulated by the cartridge sellers and there ad campaigns !

28 or 30 gm of #6 will do perfectly well for game shooting on most ordinary people`s days.

Second sentence (above) first. Yep, that should do it.

First sentence. I have no idea where the majority market place is for our manufacturers. Neither do I have any idea what specification generates their greatest sales/profit. For the first point, I would guess that it's not the UK and for the second, I still haven't a clue but am getting the distinct impression that for us pigeon shooters is that their attitude towards us is, "let them eat cake".