.177 hunting pellets

ips

If the squirrel is down but alive with a headshot I'm sure you soon make sure it's dead. For me the most accurate is the most deadly. Close range it's verminpel longer range over 20yards JSB exacts.

My daystate don't like RWS superdomes but lads with bsa swear by them.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of the Crossman / Webley Accupell and their Powapell pellets in 177 they are 7.9 grain and go fast. JSB Exact Diablo 8.44 grain also really good ;these come in different diameters to suit different bore sizes. BSA barrels tend to suit wider pellets so the JSB 4.52 or 4.53 may sort your current grouping problem. However I would take great note of Ultrastu as he has incredible knowledge of all things Ultra and more besides. Best two hollowpoints that I have used were the Bisley Pest Control 8.8 grain and Crossman Terminator 7.9 grain. Hope this helps.

I spoken to several shooters over time ( not from this site) that think that a head shot, is a head shot, is a head shot. Many people don't know that the aim of a head shot is to take out the Cerebellum. You can still live ok with quite a bit of your brain removed but you can't afford to have your cerebellum damaged at all. this is why stoats and weasels kill massive rabbits with a single nip to the back of the head. I have shot magpies through the head and they have hopped about in thick bushes until found and dispatched by hand and squirrels will lie down bleeding to death if you don,t hit the vital bit of the brain. So I only aim for the heart on birds now and also squirrels for the majority of shots. However, I have killed 9 this weekend out of my bedroom window at a zeroed 30 m fixed point all were head shots but in the field prefer heart/ lung shots. No animal lives after being shot through both lungs or and it's heart ! So accuracy is key but shot placement is vital.

I use AA Diablo in .177, as i have found them to deform well, and transfer more energy to the target, rather than over penetrate.

HW110 and 95K. sub 12's.

In .22 @Sub 12 , i use Falcon Accuracy Plus @13.4 grain they give a great trajectory for a .22, and are really soft, spreading well

on impact.BSA Scorpion SE.

At 30ft/lbs fac , i use AA Field Diablo @ 16g they are just so consistent.

BSA R10 ,FAC.

Never tried H&N , so may get 50 and give them a go.

Elevated position gives excellent field of view

Squirrels very rarely look up

No better backstop than a lawn

Targeted feeding/ sitting point for squirrels constant and therefore consistent and exact point of aim

Nice comfy sitting position - rock steady platform for rifle on rice filled bag on window frame; cheating if you want to be sporting but I want to be sure.

Pellet never ever leaves my land

Not overlooked by anyone

Neighbours' supportive so no problem whilst they were having BBQ last weekend as they have remarked in the past can't even hear whether a shot has been fired or not

What are the obvious reasons ?

I also open the window first so the pellets don't go through the glass

Ah Longbower you beat me to it.

I was going to ask you what you use in your Scorpion as I remembered that you were very impressed with it.

Do I also remember that you moved onto the Scorpion from an Ultra and if so what differences do you find with the longer match quality barrel from the Ultra and any other things of note as I am considering both.

Can you tell me if the safety be applied even if there is no pellet up the spout please ?

Kind regards ss

I made a mistake when listing which .177 hollowpoint pellets work well. I said Crossman Terminator but I meant Crossman Destroyer they make a hole in a squirrel's hide like a pastry cutter.

I used them because I met a game keeper up in the North Pennines that said he had stopped using them the kill rabbits because he was fed up of having to swill the back of his pickup out as the blood from an evening rabbit shooting was really deep and was ruining his sales value of the bunnies.

Hope that the anecdote has made up for the error!

• 3 weeks later...

I made a mistake when listing which .177 hollowpoint pellets work well. I said Crossman Terminator but I meant Crossman Destroyer they make a hole in a squirrel's hide like a pastry cutter.

I used them because I met a game keeper up in the North Pennines that said he had stopped using them the kill rabbits because he was fed up of having to swill the back of his pickup out as the blood from an evening rabbit shooting was really deep and was ruining his sales value of the bunnies.

Hope that the anecdote has made up for the error!

What sort of ranges as these good up to ?

Gosh Bruno you can be hard work can't you ?

The cylindrical tube cut through the flesh, capiliaries,veins. arteries and organs to produce death is a really good blood canal that allows blood to reach the outside of the body and soak the fur in far greater volume than is the case when a domed or other more pointy pellet than the Crossman Destroyer is used.

This is because these pellets force their way through the animal and the elasticity of the flesh closes over behind the path.

I killed a squirrel last weekend with a .22 Powapell that died before it hit the floor. Pellet passed through elbow joint and then destroyed the heart but apart from a bit of a blood mark on the elbow I found it difficult to locate the entry wound as you correctly point out that bleeding stops quickly with death.

Been in this game a long time SS and in all those years many pellets have promised to deliver the earth to the hunting man. The pellet in which you hold such high regard sells in the States for around £1.50 in Walmart as Crossman try desperately to off load them. The pellet, in my opinion, is not built to penetrate - I would guess that the point would channel whatever matter it connects with up into the hollowed section where it would have no option but to turn 180 degrees back on itself and thus cause a greater wound channel but over a shorter distance than, say, a domed pellet. Deformation of the pellet ,however,would also likely to be less than more commonly used examples such as the AA Field due to Crossman's tendency to use harder lead than the vast majority of other manufacturers therefore, again in my opinion, the design actually works against itself. BTW - you can actually see the swage marks on these pellets. Might be the Dogs danglies in a high powered Gun (though reports from the States disagree) but at our lowly 12ft/lb I doubt it - I will continue to use Extreme Hunter on Squirrels and AA Field on everything else. All very subjective of course and if you feel confident using them then that's worth something in itself - confidence is a great aid to accuracy.

This all started because a question was asked as to which hollowpoints work I listed 2 which were Bisley Pest Control and Crossman / Webley Destroyers they work but one is 7.9 gn and the other 8.8 gn very different.

In .22 I don't recommend hollowpoints beyond 15 m as even though they dump all of their considerable energy they don't penetrate very far.

We are all trying to find the optimum pellet and I am asking questions and throwing in my experiences; at the moment I am using Crossman Powapell in .22 last month it was Acupell .22 and the month before .22 H and N Sniperlight

The tried and tested silver round nosed pellets I use exclusively on vampires !

Just picked up some 10gr 177 pellets to try as I have (hopefully0 some fun with squirrels this weekend. All of the thoughts from people is that they would be 'loopy' compared with the 8gr I'm using. Put half a dozen on target at 25yrds today with no adjustments and they print a ragged hole exactly 3/8ths inch to the right of the lighter ones. So close I thought the first was a snatch by me. Under that distance they are almost indistinguishable from the lighter ones. Now all I need to see is how effective they are on squirrels. At the moment they are very active collecting food so seldom sit still, so may need to take a fair few quick body shots. The pellets ??? JSB EXACT DIABLOW.

Had a four hour session on the squirrels yesterday and a couple of hours in a farm yard on the ferals this morning with the TX200 and the 10.3gr Exact Diabolo's.

14 ferals this morning one or two at 35yrds and this pellet certainly does the job. I am thinking that I will now stay with this weight and just shoot off the 8.44s as and when.

Fortunate that both appear to shoot very close to make little difference on a squirrel, pigeon or magpie, trajectory wise.

Edited by Walker570