Tyre pressures

30-6

When I bought the Jimny new it had Bridgestone Dueller for the tyres, and very good they have been. 35 k on the clock and 10 years old they have lasted brilliantly. But needed changing, mostly due to cracking and safety.

Manufacturer recommended pressures are 23 front and 26 rear unladen (from memory ).

Do these pressures carry as correct for my new tyres Goodyear Wrangler or is there different pressures for each make of tyre ?

The reason I ask is the tyre fitter put 40 lbs in them, am I missing something or was that excessive ?

What's written on the sidewall? Check out Jimny forum might be your best option.Some lads run different pressure depending on terrain.

I ran 26 front 28 back on AT's on the Jimny same tyre size as manufacturers tyres

Edited by Davyo

When I bought the Jimny new it had Bridgestone Dueller for the tyres, and very good they have been. 35 k on the clock and 10 years old they have lasted brilliantly. But needed changing, mostly due to cracking and safety.

Manufacturer recommended pressures are 23 front and 26 rear unladen (from memory ).

Do these pressures carry as correct for my new tyres Goodyear Wrangler or is there different pressures for each make of tyre ?

The reason I ask is the tyre fitter put 40 lbs in them, am I missing something or was that excessive ?

So long as your new tyres are the same size and load/speed rating as the tyres fitted as original equipment, Stick to the tyre pressures given by the vehicle manufacturer.

Yes, 40psi would be excessive in a vehicle as small and light as a Jimmny.

The correct pressure to put in is that stated by the car manufacturer not the one stamped on the tyre.

The max pressure on the tyre is what the tyre can take which is usually much higher than what your car needs.

I used my own, think I'll buy another to use side by side for comparison.

He did seem to be inflating it for a long time though

Correct procedure would have been to over inflate to seat the beads of the tyre properly on the rim then deflate to vehicles operating pressure as indicated by the vehicle manufacturer.